Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CHECK ENGINE Light

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2005, 03:44 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK55, Ford F350 Diesel, WV Jetta TDI
Angry CHECK ENGINE Light

[ Sorry about the duplicate post (from the SLK350 Forum) ]

Car: MB 2005 SLK350
Options: Premire Launch Package, Automatic, Heating Package
Issue: CHECK ENGINE light returns shortly after MB service

For the FOURTH time this month (September), the check engine light has come on in our 2005 SLK350. The computer says "Major Fuel Evaporation Loss" (or something like that). The first two times, the dealership has replaced the gas cap. Within two days (a little less than 200 miles) the light is back on. We told them that the gas cap was obviously not the problem so the last time they replaced the Carbon Canister shut-off valve. We got the car back Wednesday evening, drove a little under 200 miles and the light is back on AGAIN. The dealership is supposed to come get the car Monday for yet another GUESS on their part about what's wrong. Since this will be the fourth attempt at a repair, if the light comes back on we will be talking to them about the LEMON LAWS and a replacement for the car.

So, does anyone out here have any information about Fuel Evaporation as it relates to the SLK350 and what the problem might actually be? We have the car advertised for sale this weekend (looking at new SLK55) and now we can't even show the car to prospects due to the idiot light.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SLK350 BLACK (HERS) 2004 C5(MINE)
Do you top of the tank when you fill up? I have heard this can throw a code and I beleive it says not to in the manual