Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C Evaporator Leak Sealant, It Works!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2002, 03:06 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S320
A/C Evaporator Leak Sealant, It Works!

A/C Evaporator Leak Sealant, Works!
A Mercedes air conditioning evaporator leak, can give you a sick feeling like it did me.

I have found an evaporator leak repair that works...

There is a product that you can use to seal the evaporator leak! My 1996 S320 evaporator just started leaking 30 days after purchase. You can smell the A/C oil in the A/C vents especially after you car has been setting for a while. Smell the vent air when first start the car. Kind of a sweet oily smell. As the Freon leaks out, oil comes with it, that is what you can smell the oil. It stays on the evaporator and in the bottom of the box.

If you have a slow leak. 1 or more weeks to go warm than CryoSeal will probably work for you. CryoSeal fails 1 in 150 uses. The product has been use for many years for commercial and industrial A/C units. It is an epoxy a that cures when it hits moisture and air when passing through the evaporator hole, at the site of the pin hole leak to form a permeant seal. Research it from the links below. I have even called the company and spoken to and quizzed them on the product. It has worked in my S320 so far. It is important to get to the leak when it is small and sealable. A 1 or more week leak! It is important not to let your freon pressure go all the way down so moisture can get in the system. Follow the instructions to the T. I called a few Mercedes and Volvo shops that use it and all said it worked 90% the time for them. Many people don't understand the product and make bad comments about it based on lack of knowledge. I will not harm your system. Research, Research, Research. It is a great product and it does work. It is expensive, about $140 for a two part kit, 2- 4oz. cans. DO NOT confuse this product with Cheap A/C Stop Leak O-ring conditioner sold in auto parts stores. This is professional product sold from the company {www.cryo-chem.com} or through A/C distributor's to professionals. I had to drive to a local distributor in Atlanta, GA that auto A/C shops use. One can of chemical dries all moisture in the system, the other is the epoxy sealant. My system had just gotten low and never empty of freon so it always had a pressure no moisture could get in. I used a 134a charging kit and did it myself, it takes 10 minutes to install and you must run the A/C for an hour after installation, I drove around to make sure it circulated well in the system. If your system is or ever was empty of freon {134a} or opened to replace a part, you will have to replace the drier an evacuate the system. Remember it must be a slow leak. Don't waste your money with a 1 or 2 day leak out. The hole is to big. It also won't work on a rare crack in a solder joint. Moisture in the system forms acids that attack the evaporator and cause pin hole leaks in the aluminum. Make sure your system is dry in the future by adding CryoSeal's TuneAir to keep it dry. This is what you should consider unless your car is under warranty or you have money spend on the repair, $2500 to $3900, ouch. I have decided that I will use CryoSeal 134a on my next Mercedes or Volvo {they have the same problem} as a preventative measure, so it will stop any microscopic leaks and I will never know. It stopped my leak so far, I would gladly paid $200 for CryoSeal. It is supposed to be a permanent seal and continues to seal future micro leaks as it circulate through the A/C plumbing. Some of the local shops that use it I called and one charges $650 to put it in a Mercedes. Some other shops bad mouthed the product but after quizzing them I could see they new nothing about it. CryoSeal could reduce the number of $3500 evaporator jobs they get. It even comes with a 1 year warranty, that is how they can track there failure rate of 1 in 150 uses. They say 1 in 6 of the uses are Mercedes.

Good luck. Post your results here. I hope this helps some of you and saves you $$$$.

This is the product that worked for me and is the best.

http://www.cryochem.com/CRYOseal.html

This is an article from a professional trade magazine. It looks at 4 sealant's. One is the type sold at K-mart etc. {JUNK} and one uses a similar method {1 can}to seal leaks, and another Keep-It -Cool is a 2-part product like CryoSeal {CryoSeal is the best}.

http://www.coolprofits.com/articles/...ealants_p1.htm

If you think you have a leak and have to replace your evaporator look at this link first.

http://www.continentalimports.com/ser_ic40142.html

Last edited by EdS320; 10-01-2002 at 01:25 AM.
Old 09-27-2002, 08:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Eds320

Thanks for the explanation and tip!
Old 09-28-2002, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E220 cab, W124
Good tip because to change a evaporator is very expensive in W124.

I have a w124C 1996 that the evaporator leaks a litle, it take 6 mounth ore a year. I would like to try that. I do not know if it is avable in Sweden. I will ask the AC- dealer here. perhaps I must by it from USA.
Regards from Thomas Sweden
Old 09-28-2002, 04:55 PM

...looks like an advertisement!
Old 09-28-2002, 05:31 PM

E220 cab, W124
I dont know patrick perhaps!
Parhaps you have advice ore is the only solutions to change the evaporator, it take 20 to 25 hours in a W124. I dont know if there is anather house for the evaporator on newer w124 1996, it is pollen filter and two tubes fore the evakuation of the condenswather.
Thomas
Old 09-28-2002, 11:52 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S320
Sorry I write like an advertisement. It is not an advertisement. I have no interest in any company. I am a Mercedes owner who "HAD" an evaporator leak. I have found something that worked for me and others and wanted to share my findings. I try to be very detail in my explanation. I research everything I try or use, even my car polish! I gave all facts and put links for anyone to decide.

Contact them by email and see if they mail over seas or have a distrubitor in your country.
Old 09-29-2002, 04:29 PM

E220 cab, W124
Its okej!
If I can do like you have done here in sweden, I will try that at my car and if it works it is very good because I will save a lot of money.