Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key locked in trunk- How best to get it out.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2002, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 CLK430 Cab.
Question Key locked in trunk- How best to get it out.

I recently locked the key to my 2001 CLK430 Cab. in the trunk of the car and the car was locked. The 1-800-CALL MERC was useless; I don't have Teleaid. I was able to get a ride home and get the spare key but IF I couldn't have, how would I get the car open and running?
I was able to open the locked door by inserting a wire between the front and rear windows and hooking the door handle but that set the alarm off. It went off after 30 sec and I thought I could just pull the trunk release button but that wouldn't work (supposedly a safety feature). There was no way to get into the trunk.
Is there a way to get into the trunk when the car is locked and the alarm is set? The little metal key doesn't open it. Does the dealer have to tow the car in and remove the rear seats?
Also, how would I start the car without the elec. key?

I would think there is an easier way. ANyone have one??
Old 01-01-2003, 06:26 AM

Re: Key locked in trunk- How best to get it out.

Originally posted by Impala1ss
...I was able to get a ride home and get the spare key but IF I couldn't have, how would I get the car open and running?...
This is why you have spare keys

...Is there a way to get into the trunk when the car is locked and the alarm is set? The little metal key doesn't open it...
You should be able to open the trunk with the little metal key.

...Does the dealer have to tow the car in and remove the rear seats?...
No, just use spare keys or order them if there aren't any.

...Also, how would I start the car without the elec. key?...
Not possible.
Old 01-02-2003, 03:40 PM

2001 CLK430 Cab.
Re: Re: Key locked in trunk- How best to get it out.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by patrick
[B]This is why you have spare keys

Funny but not helpful

You should be able to open the trunk with the little metal key.

THAT DID NOT WORK!
Old 01-03-2003, 05:29 PM

2003 E320
Re: Re: Re: Key locked in trunk- How best to get it out.

[You should be able to open the trunk with the little metal key.

THAT DID NOT WORK! [/B]
It did not work because the mechanical key is locked in the trunk with the smart key, or you actually tried and it didn't work? In theory, the dealer should be able to make the mechanical key from your car's VIN. So you may not have to tow the car to the shop.
Old 01-04-2003, 03:46 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Key locked in trunk- How best to get it out.

Originally posted by Gethen
It did not work because the mechanical key is locked in the trunk with the smart key, or you actually tried and it didn't work? In theory, the dealer should be able to make the mechanical key from your car's VIN. So you may not have to tow the car to the shop.
If you order a smart key it will not take as long as if you order a mechanical key.
This was my point when I said "use spare key or order one" to avoid to tow the car to the shop.
Old 01-04-2003, 03:13 PM

2001 CLK430 Cab.
The mechanical key was in the trunk but once I got it out it still would not open the trunk. Is this right?
Old 01-04-2003, 09:32 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
'23 EQE 350 4MATIC
The mechanical key was in the trunk but once I got it out it still would not open the trunk. Is this right?

p.328 of the Manual: Unlocking the Trunk (in an emergency)

1 - Insert the keyin the trunk lid lock.

2 - Turn the key to the left and hold it in this position.

3 - Pull on the TRUNK LID HANDLE (capitalized for emphasis) and lift the trunk lid.

Did you do step 3?

I haven't tried it myself (too cold in the garage tonight) but this is what the Manual says.

Question is: if you had the mechanical key already, I assumed you also had the Smartkey out ... you could have used that. Or, were you just trying to figure out how to open the trunk with the mechanical key?

Last edited by saintvir; 01-04-2003 at 09:40 PM.
Old 01-06-2003, 01:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W203 & W204 3.0L 4matics & MR2 Supercharger
Re: Key locked in trunk- How best to get it out.

I recently locked the key to my 2001 CLK430 Cab. in the trunk of the car and the car was locked. The 1-800-CALL MERC was useless; I don't have Teleaid. I was able to get a ride home and get the spare key but IF I couldn't have, how would I get the car open and running?
I was able to open the locked door by inserting a wire between the front and rear windows and hooking the door handle but that set the alarm off. It went off after 30 sec and I thought I could just pull the trunk release button but that wouldn't work (supposedly a safety feature). There was no way to get into the trunk.
Is there a way to get into the trunk when the car is locked and the alarm is set? The little metal key doesn't open it. Does the dealer have to tow the car in and remove the rear seats?
Also, how would I start the car without the elec. key?

I would think there is an easier way. ANyone have one??
The flat key(the one you should keep in your wallet) should unlock the trunk, if it didn't it's the valet key and not the flat emerency key. Also if you have a smart key you should keep a set of spare batteries in you glove box.

NP
Old 01-06-2003, 03:32 PM

2001 CLK430 Cab.
You have cleared it up for me. I've been confusing the valet key with the emergency key which I don't have. I guess I can get one at the dealers, right?
Old 01-06-2003, 10:22 PM

W203 & W204 3.0L 4matics & MR2 Supercharger
Yeah, right now I only have one key to my SLK, The dealer ordered me one more remote key, let me know how much the EMG key cost.

NP
Old 01-07-2003, 08:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i535
I use the following technigue wich almost excludes possibility to lock keys in a trunk. I never open a trunk using remote. I open car and then I can open a trunk pushing a small button. It avoids situation when car locked, but a trunk.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mercedes E320
key locked in trunk

This is how to open the trunk if you accidentally left the keys in the trunk of a Mercedes E320 2003: left to the steering wheel is a fuse panel. Pop it open. On the bottom left pull fuses # 30 and 31 together. Wait 30 seconds then open the trunk. It will open. It cost me 109 dollars to get a MB 24 hours service guy to show me. It took 39 seconds to do it. I had searched the web for an hour and nobody had this answer. Hope it works if you are in a jam.
The following users liked this post:
mirandamoon44$$ (07-29-2017)
Old 01-24-2018, 05:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts
2014 E350 4M Diamond Silver
Originally Posted by CLK 2001 Cab
may be the key is not coded to the car, meaning the mechanical key (valet key) is a blank..
Usually happens for the cars purchased from a 3rd party dealer; usually to make the car looks like, it comes with two key fobs and for cost cutting reasons, the dealers order the code to keyfob only and will not pay 50-70$ for the valet key to be machined to your car.