Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

W211 M272 4-matic Balance shaft repair

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350
W211 M272 4-matic Balance shaft repair

Hello all,
Being my first post I want to say hello, thanks for the wealth of information which I have already found on the forum and thank you for taking your time to give me advise and help me solve this problem.

Required information:
2006 W211 E350 4-matic with AMG sport package. 90k km (56k mi). VIN: WDB.211.087.1X21.3029
The motor falls right into the problematic range for balance shaft issues.
The car threw the P0016 and P0017 errors for the first time last week.
I removed the position sensors and set the crankshaft to 305° and verified that the positions are incorrect.
Balance shaft replacement kit A2720300613 costs 280 Euros from MB.

My issue, other than the obvious:
I could pay a garage about 4k CHF to do the work. But this would not sit well with my moral hygiene. Eating that cost when just having purchased the car for 14k CHF puts a really big dent in my, what, ego? But I could also do the work myself, perhaps.
My hobbies have always been something technical or mechanical and I find mechanical work enjoyable (as long as it is for myself!). With my last car I did a fair amount of wrenching to include: turbo removal, manifold removal (both), exhaust install, complete A/C removal including compressor, timing belt jobs, serpentine belt jobs, EGR system removal, etc... I have however not ever removed a motor or transmission. To me, it sounds easy once you get past all the small peripheral work which is most of the job really.

My question really is: should I do this myself, not having removed or dismantled a motor before.

This question for me would be a no-brainer if I but lived back in the US and had a house with a garage stocked full with tools. This is not the case though and I live in the city, have nowhere to do the work and also lack the tools.

Options:
There is a DIY garage not far away and they have all tools and I would hope a bit of know-how if I would require a bit of assistance along the way. But being a Swiss DIY garage, I would assume that it would also cost quite a bit to rent a lift or space in the garage. I would estimate it to take at least 10 days non-stop to get the job done on my own.

What would you guys recommend? Paying the 4k CHF? Buy a service manual and do it myself? How long would it take for me to complete the task? Is the 10 days about right? Would it be worth using my vacation time to do this myself?

The options are there. I am more eager to tackle another DIY project than paying to have it done. But both options are possibilities.
Old 01-26-2018, 06:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 168 Likes on 120 Posts
2016 E350 4Matic; 2018 GLC300 4Matic; 2005 C55; 2003 360 Modena
It's not a job that I would rush - but if you have the space, tools and time (plus the DIY work as experience that you listed) my vote (if you're taking one) is to do it. The amount of information available is incredible, and the markings at every pulley and gear make sure you're timed correctly before buttoning up the engine making it relatively easy. I left the transmission in the car and don't have 4Matic. Taking the engine out was actually the easy part. The rest is nuts and bolts. Beyond tools you'll need a good engine picker and engine stand. I also highly recommend buying WIS from eBay - many are available for ~$15USD.
Old 01-27-2018, 04:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350
Originally Posted by kjb55
It's not a job that I would rush - but if you have the space, tools and time (plus the DIY work as experience that you listed) my vote (if you're taking one) is to do it. The amount of information available is incredible, and the markings at every pulley and gear make sure you're timed correctly before buttoning up the engine making it relatively easy. I left the transmission in the car and don't have 4Matic. Taking the engine out was actually the easy part. The rest is nuts and bolts. Beyond tools you'll need a good engine picker and engine stand. I also highly recommend buying WIS from eBay - many are available for ~$15USD.
Thanks KJB. I have just ordered the 2017 WIS. An OBD2 device is next on my list. I will call the DIY garage on Monday for pricing info.