Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4-channel ABS "conversion"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 06:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
See signature
4-channel ABS "conversion"

Greetings, all

I have no ABS on my W123. And I have now lost two cars in the rain, due to the powerful brakes locking up the wheels.

I know the W123 was available with ABS as an option, and I have been contemplating fitting ABS to my car.

1. I have the steering knuckles with ABS sensors on the front wheels.
2. I can easily get the sensors.
3. I can get an ABS controller - either that of the W123, or one of the others (W126, W202, W210 etc.) which doesn't require security codes etc.

However, my biggest concern is the diff: the ABS diff was different from the non-ABS in that it houses the rear sensor to the 3-channel system. Such a diff would cost me $2000 or more - second-hand! excluding customs, transport and, and, and... - which I simply cannot afford.

By contrast, if I can find a 4-channel ABS system, I can easily make reluctor rings tofit onto the CV joints. An initial investigation has convinced me that I can fit such rings onto my car's CV joints.

The Bosch M4 system seems convenient, but that costs $10 000 or more.

What other systems (most of the components I hope to purchase second-hand) should I look at? Anything from MB models (before 2000)?

Thanks