Questions about 2007 ML63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 09:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
Questions about 2007 ML63

I have recently been told by my dealer that my ML430 is too rusty for its own good. I guess its a road hazard, here is the thread:
https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w...d-winters.html
The whole sub-frame is rusted pretty bad. I'm going to have to get a replacement for her in the next year at least.

I have been checking out autotrader for some used W163's as a replacement when I stumbled upon some 2007 ML63's purely by accident! lol To my surprise they were selling in the $30-$25K range.
So here are my questions for anyone that owned an ML63:

- What should I look out for when buying a used W164? What were the major problem areas?

- Were Bi-Xenons standard? I see some 2007's have a headlight washer button next to the light switch and some do not. I assume the headlight washers came with the lighting package. Did you have to get that lighting package to get the bi-xenons? When I look at the 2008 models I never see a headlight washer button. Does it not have the lighting package in 2008?

- Rear heated seats were an option I assume.

- Are they all pre-wired for Sat radio? I see they all have the SAT button on the radio but do I need the dealer to install something? I know I will have to call Sirius to switch from one vehicle to another.

- Rear view camera and auto close rear hatch were standard from what I've read?

- cut out the resonators? Seems like an easy mod to do. I think that would be my first mod. Anyone have problems doing that? CEL?

- In the winter I will use winter tires like Blizzaks. Does this beast kill it in the snow or is it a hot mess? I never had a problem in my W163 in the snow but it didn't have the power of the AMG. Also the tires on this W164 are a lot wider than the W163 so I can imagine worse handling in the snow. From what I read there are no Blizzaks for this tire size. People have been using Pirelli Scorpion Snow and ice for a dedicated winter tire.

- Any reasons you can think of that would make you tell me to stay away from the ML63? Besides my wife cutting off my ***** for going above the budget!

Thanks!
Old 07-15-2014, 01:59 AM

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts
CL63 AMG
It's a great car IF it was well maintained by previous owner and all records are provided.

Xenon NOT standard, you can convert it with updated OEM demons, a special wiring harness from germany and special software switch via Star diagnostic... Cost me just $500 to convert over

Yes presided for SAT radio, but honestly after having it for a year I discontinued it bc they place the same damn songs over and over again. You can get a battery powered Bluetooth aid adapter for under $20.

Rear camera and auto close hatch are on mine and it was not a super optioned out spec so that is possibility it was standard.

Resonator bypass is a must, best/perfect exhaust mod, zero chance of CEL as it's way after secondary oxygen sensors.

It's the best daily driver I have ever had... In fact the biggest problem with owning the car is... WHAT the hell do I buy next?? (Nothing is as good, especially with my specific aftermarket setup).

The only real problem is the suspension is finicky and I would recommend aftermarket extended full comprehensive warranty. Mercedes dealerships offer them directly. They are pricey at about $5k but they can pay off 2-3x if anything ever goes wrong.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK55
Originally Posted by ML63 AMG
It's a great car IF it was well maintained by previous owner and all records are provided.

Xenon NOT standard, you can convert it with updated OEM demons, a special wiring harness from germany and special software switch via Star diagnostic... Cost me just $500 to convert over

Yes presided for SAT radio, but honestly after having it for a year I discontinued it bc they place the same damn songs over and over again. You can get a battery powered Bluetooth aid adapter for under $20.

Rear camera and auto close hatch are on mine and it was not a super optioned out spec so that is possibility it was standard.

Resonator bypass is a must, best/perfect exhaust mod, zero chance of CEL as it's way after secondary oxygen sensors.

It's the best daily driver I have ever had... In fact the biggest problem with owning the car is... WHAT the hell do I buy next?? (Nothing is as good, especially with my specific aftermarket setup).

The only real problem is the suspension is finicky and I would recommend aftermarket extended full comprehensive warranty. Mercedes dealerships offer them directly. They are pricey at about $5k but they can pay off 2-3x if anything ever goes wrong.
Thanks for the great feedback!
Did you drive your beast in the snow?
Old 07-15-2014, 11:32 AM

CL63 AMG
No, just heavy rain. I'm sure it would do fine with the right tires and gentle on throttle
Old 07-17-2014, 08:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK55
As far as the lighting package goes, I tried doing some research here and other websites. I think this is how it goes but please let me know if I'm on the right track or not.

2007 - lighting package was an option. Need this to get the Bi-Xenons. Comes with a washer button near the light switch.

2008 - lighting package now comes standard. All 2008 models have Bi-Xenons? No more washer button in 2008+ models.

Is this correct? Do all 2008 ML63's come with Bi-Xenons standard?
Thanks.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:43 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 ML63
I have to disagree with the resonator bypass. It sounds like ****. VERY sloppy exhaust. Do it if you want an ugly sounding truck.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
Res

My 2011 res bypass is barely noticeable.

If you ever heard a stock c63 it is marginally closer to that sound...... I was hoping it would be louder.

There is a guy on here that removed the muffs as well,
Old 07-19-2014, 07:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK55
While doing my research I found the majority of people say the resonator delete is awesome.

I just wish I could figure out the whole Bi-Xenon deal.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:07 AM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
2017 C63S
i've had mine since November and am still loving it. It obviously doesn't handle like my previous cars but it is surprisingly nimble for a truck. Love the power. I drove it this winter and granted we didn't have crazy snow this year but it never had an issue in the snow we encountered. Has all the creature comforts you'd expect and room for the kids to watch dvd on trips. I don't see many of them which is another bonus as I hate having cars that everyone else has. This is my 3rd AMG and first truck.
As for negative's, obviously like many AMG's, you don't buy these for gas mileage because it is not good. I average 14-19 in normal driving. Problems--the only issue I have had was an acceleration sensor went bad on the suspension so had to pay for that and I had a CEL which ended up being just a loose hose. Other than that, 9k miles I've put on it and running strong.

I think you'll enjoy it
Old 07-19-2014, 03:53 PM
Banned

2010 ML63
Originally Posted by Stiggs
While doing my research I found the majority of people say the resonator delete is awesome.

I just wish I could figure out the whole Bi-Xenon deal.

Well I think those guys are crazy. You can find some vids of resonator deletes on youtube. IMO they all sound like s**t. Sloppy ugly cheap sounding exhaust.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
Xx

I'm not judging my ex note from a video, I have the real thing in my driveway with the mod performed. Perhaps your speakers are bad?

Seriously though you should take a ride a modified ml for a more accurate review.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK55
Originally Posted by betrezra
I'm not judging my ex note from a video, I have the real thing in my driveway with the mod performed. Perhaps your speakers are bad?

Seriously though you should take a ride a modified ml for a more accurate review.
So far Tomabram seems to be in the minority about the resonator delete.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:41 PM
Banned

2010 ML63
Originally Posted by betrezra

Yeah my speakers are bad. Maybe your ears are bad? The delete makes the truck so sloppy. No getting around that. I have heard one in person. And it actually sounds WORSE than in videos.
I could care less if people like to screw around and make it sound like crap. But it wont be me. Thats for sure. If you want a sloppy muscle car sound, buy a mustang or Camaro.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
Fair enough Tom.
I'd like to hear the Aussie ML 63 with muff deleted. I wonder if it's close to what I consider the holy grail ex note.... the Stock C63. If so I might do the same.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:49 AM

CL63 AMG
Tim you are the only single person on this entire forum that thinks resonator bypass sounds bad... It is the single best exhaust mod you can do on our cars and I cannot tell you how many compliments I get on the exhaust. The fact that you claim it sounds "sloppy" means you have actually not heard it in person and are going off YouTube videos. You do not know what you are talking about so don't spread information for a modification you have zero personal experience with... It's dishonest at best.

regarding bixenons, you do not need the option. There is a special aftermarket wiring harness you can buy for $100 that allows you to retrofit the OEM bixenon headlights. Other then that you just have to go into the computer settings with star diagnostic and tell it which headlights are in the car. I did this first hand so I know it works 100%.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK55
Originally Posted by ML63 AMG

regarding bixenons, you do not need the option. There is a special aftermarket wiring harness you can buy for $100 that allows you to retrofit the OEM bixenon headlights. Other then that you just have to go into the computer settings with star diagnostic and tell it which headlights are in the car. I did this first hand so I know it works 100%.
That's great to know! Thanks!
Old 07-25-2014, 10:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK55
Even though I can install xenons aftermarket, it would be cool to get a straight answer regarding the 2008 model. I know there was a lighting package in 2007 but there doesn't seem to be one for 2008. Were Bi-Xenons standard in 2008? Do all 2008 ML63's have Bi-Xenons?
Thanks!
Old 07-26-2014, 11:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
09 ml63
regarding the snow
Im from MA so i know what its like driving in the snow. You NEED dedicated winter tires. I have blizzak (20') on stock rims, i have 22' with summer tires during the summer. Ive also driven the stock 20s with summer tires too in the snow and i will not do that again. With the snow tires on, man its a different animal in the snow. also i went with a narrower tire for my winter setup. 275 instead of 295. When i had my snow tires on last winter, i wished for a big nor'easter so i could test her out. maybe this year....
Old 07-27-2014, 08:47 PM
Banned

2010 ML63
If you have all season tires they will be 100% fine in the snow. You do not need snow tires. All season tires are great in the snow. 3 years and never had a problem. Go through 2 feet of snow with no problem at all. Not even close to getting stuck.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK55
I used to use all seasons on the ML430 in the winter and it was good, but then one year I decided to get some Blizzaks. The difference was night and day. A dedicated snow tire such as a Blizzak is soooo much better in the snow than all seasons. I will always go with a dedicated snow tire like Blizzak in the winter from now on.

Still no definite answer about the 2008 bi-xenons?

Old 07-27-2014, 09:41 PM
Banned

2010 ML63
You are in CT which you dont even get much snow. Half the time you dont even get any snow at all. People are driving around with RWD with no problem.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK55
Originally Posted by Tomabram
You are in CT which you dont even get much snow. Half the time you dont even get any snow at all. People are driving around with RWD with no problem.
We don't get much snow in CT?
What crack are you smoking?

I feel like everything you've posted in this thread has been 100% BS.

First you say the resonator delete sounds like crap, then you say all seasons are good in the snow. Lastly you think CT doesn't get any snow.

I'm starting to believe that you have no idea what you are talking about good sir.

Old 07-28-2014, 10:21 AM
Banned

2010 ML63
Believe what you want. CT doesn't get much snow at all. And look at the last 10 years. 5 out of 10 you had zero snow. I'm in NY so don't tell me I don't know what I'm talking about. And yes res delete sounds like crap. All season tires are fine. Guess you have no idea how to drive. I have no trouble in upstate NY where they actually get snow. Try 14-15 feet per year. Tell me again how you get all this snow. Hahaha... dumbass
Old 07-28-2014, 04:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK55
Originally Posted by Tomabram
Believe what you want. CT doesn't get much snow at all. And look at the last 10 years. 5 out of 10 you had zero snow. I'm in NY so don't tell me I don't know what I'm talking about. And yes res delete sounds like crap. All season tires are fine. Guess you have no idea how to drive. I have no trouble in upstate NY where they actually get snow. Try 14-15 feet per year. Tell me again how you get all this snow. Hahaha... dumbass
Yeah, dumbass me trying to have every advantage I can while driving in the snow. Snow tires are dumb. Why do they even make them?
Keep smoking your crack buddy.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:10 PM
Banned

2010 ML63
Originally Posted by Stiggs
Yeah, dumbass me trying to have every advantage I can while driving in the snow. Snow tires are dumb. Why do they even make them?
Keep smoking your crack buddy.
keep sucking that d**k homo. How illiterate are you? When did I EVER say snow tires are dumb? But nice try. If you are so worried and that inexperienced in driving then DONT DRIVE IN THE SNOW!!!
They are UNNECESSARY where there is very little snow if there is even snow at all. Learn how to read.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Questions about 2007 ML63