ML55 AMG, ML63 AMG (W163, W164) 1999 - 2011 Two Generations

Vibration at Idle HELP!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 02:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 S450 4Matic
Vibration at Idle HELP!!

My 2009 ML63 has 120000km on it now and it was all fine until last weekend all of a sudden I felt vibration when I stop at a stoplight. I can feel the vibration sitting in the car and feel it from the steering wheel also. I check the car out and found I have low steering fluid so I fill it up and thought it would go away but it haven't. So I think if it would be the MAF sensor so I took them out and cleaned and reinstall everything including new air filters but no luck. I tried unplugged the MAF sensor and drive the car for a bit and still no luck so it seems not to be the MAF problem.

My question is that will it still be the steering pump problem even after I refill the fluid, but the pump has already gone wrong and creates vibration? The car only vibrates at idle though car steers fine and runs fine and performs fine when in motion.

One thing I also notice is that the secondary air pump that pumps air into the engine via 2 metal valves beside the steering wheel fluid reservoir, the air pump vibrates a lot when it operates and makes a loud noise too. I haven't really look at that pump before so I dont know if that is normal or if it actually caused the engine vibration.

As of now after a week of everyday driving the car does not have any CEL lights. Car only vibrates at idle but RPM didnt fluctuate or anything, it vibrates no matter if is in gear or not. All temps are very normal, I did kind of notice a deeper exhaust tone but maybe is just me thinking too much or too focus on it it could be like that before too.

One other thing I notice too is that if I put the car in reverse, it seems to vibrates more then if is in other forward gears or N or P. Car shifts very smooth with no problems at all at all rpm and speeds.

Does anyone have similar vibration happens to their car before and please help me with some ideas if you guys have any experiences! Thanks so much!
Old 10-19-2014, 03:48 AM

Received 91 Likes on 73 Posts
2020 E 300 Coupe and 2019 GLS 400
I don't know about the ML, but in my E55 vibration at idle could be due to :
1- engine mounts
2- transmission mounts
3- plugs
4- MAF

Good luck
Old 10-19-2014, 06:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
RR Evoque Dynamic, Benz Valente (work hack)
If you haven't had the engine mounts done, they will be toast with the mileage you have done.

My one had an inconsistant idle and it ended up being a vacuum leak with a hose at the front of the motor.

Best bet is to take it to a mechanic and have the codes read. It can still show codes without a CEL being on.

Intake manifold gasket leaks are also common on this engine and can cause this issue.
Old 10-19-2014, 05:08 PM

2009 S450 4Matic
I guess I will check the mount first.....will see how it goes

and which vacuum hose leak on your car before schmik325 maybe I will have a look at that too, I just see the air intake pump when is on is very loud and shakes badly too and that pump pumps air thru a hose that goes to 2 silver valves in the front on the engine and into the engine
Old 10-20-2014, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1992 Toyota Coroll
I don't know
Old 10-22-2014, 12:44 AM

2008 ML63 AMG
I would check your intake gasket or your plugs, vacuum leak could also cause a studdering or slight shaking...most likely your old plugs if it's been a while since you changed them
Old 10-28-2014, 11:57 AM

2009 S450 4Matic
I guess I will go with the plug first even my mechanic saids 90% is the plugs causing the problem. Hopefully it fixes it
Old 10-30-2014, 10:34 AM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
2017 C63S
what everyone else said, sounds like motor mounts to me.......let us know
Old 10-30-2014, 08:20 PM

2005 SL600, 2011 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite
I had a similar issue with my 2005 SL600 over the past month or so. Turned out it was the transmission mount. Cost me $291 at dealership. All seems good now.
Old 08-16-2016, 03:48 AM

CLK 55 ///AMG Cabrio, ML63 ///AMG
Hi, I'm having all of the things you describe happening to me. What did you end up fixing? Thanks.

Originally Posted by msiumng
My 2009 ML63 has 120000km on it now and it was all fine until last weekend all of a sudden I felt vibration when I stop at a stoplight. I can feel the vibration sitting in the car and feel it from the steering wheel also. I check the car out and found I have low steering fluid so I fill it up and thought it would go away but it haven't. So I think if it would be the MAF sensor so I took them out and cleaned and reinstall everything including new air filters but no luck. I tried unplugged the MAF sensor and drive the car for a bit and still no luck so it seems not to be the MAF problem.

My question is that will it still be the steering pump problem even after I refill the fluid, but the pump has already gone wrong and creates vibration? The car only vibrates at idle though car steers fine and runs fine and performs fine when in motion.

One thing I also notice is that the secondary air pump that pumps air into the engine via 2 metal valves beside the steering wheel fluid reservoir, the air pump vibrates a lot when it operates and makes a loud noise too. I haven't really look at that pump before so I dont know if that is normal or if it actually caused the engine vibration.

As of now after a week of everyday driving the car does not have any CEL lights. Car only vibrates at idle but RPM didnt fluctuate or anything, it vibrates no matter if is in gear or not. All temps are very normal, I did kind of notice a deeper exhaust tone but maybe is just me thinking too much or too focus on it it could be like that before too.

One other thing I notice too is that if I put the car in reverse, it seems to vibrates more then if is in other forward gears or N or P. Car shifts very smooth with no problems at all at all rpm and speeds.

Does anyone have similar vibration happens to their car before and please help me with some ideas if you guys have any experiences! Thanks so much!
Old 09-24-2017, 03:42 AM

C200 CDI sport
W204 exactly the same issue...

Originally Posted by msiumng
I guess I will go with the plug first even my mechanic saids 90% is the plugs causing the problem. Hopefully it fixes it
Hi.....Did the plugs resolve the issue or was it something else??
Old 11-16-2017, 10:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W210 E55 & W204 C63
I replaced motor mounts which cleared most of the vibration and then trans mount on a different occasion and that eliminated vibration completely.
Old 01-23-2021, 04:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 MY09 ML63
Digging up an old thread - I have an 08 ML and am having the same problem.

What was the ultimate fix?

When the car is cold however, there's no vibration. Only after the car has been driven for 15 or so minutes (or always after driving on the freeway). The vibration occurs quicker in hot weather.

The vibration is minor, but noticeable (e.g. I had a bottle of water in the cup holder and the water was vibrating slightly).

Dealer said it's normal for these cars, but given it develops after the car heats up, that doesn't sound normal.