M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Rear passenger door lights do not illuminate

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 ML350(gas) P1 w/ pano, Parktronic & keyless; 2012 Audi A4 2.0 sport pkg w/ Nav & Keyless
Rear passenger door lights do not illuminate

I've noticed many posts about the mirror puddle lights not working without a program re-flash from the dealer.

I also noticed there is a red lens at the bottom of the rear passenger doors. Are these supposed to illuminate as well or are they simply a reflector? The front passenger as well as the driver's side do illuminate through the red lens when the doors are opened, however the rear ones do not. I tried to pop off the lens to see if there are bulbs in there to no avail. They look identical to the front lenses and I'm confident that they are supposed to illuminate.

Anyone else experiencing this?
Old 01-19-2012, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by metidogeno
I've noticed many posts about the mirror puddle lights not working without a program re-flash from the dealer.

I also noticed there is a red lens at the bottom of the rear passenger doors. Are these supposed to illuminate as well or are they simply a reflector? The front passenger as well as the driver's side do illuminate through the red lens when the doors are opened, however the rear ones do not. I tried to pop off the lens to see if there are bulbs in there to no avail. They look identical to the front lenses and I'm confident that they are supposed to illuminate.

Anyone else experiencing this?
Mine are the same (2012 ML Bluetec) - and I can't find any reference to these lights in the manual - maybe they just forgot to install the bulbs?
Old 01-19-2012, 11:53 AM

2012 ML350(gas) P1 w/ pano, Parktronic & keyless; 2012 Audi A4 2.0 sport pkg w/ Nav & Keyless
In my previous 09 ML, these lights DID light up(white) and was a great safety feature when I loaded the kids into the car seats at night when I'm parallel parked against a curb. For what it's worth, the light not only lit up the ground below the rear doors, but also added some visual safety for traffic that is driving up from behind the vehicle when these doors are ajar.

Again, on the 2012 ML, these rear lights' lenses look identical to the front doors' lenses and I have a feeling it is a simple fix with a software upgrade.

Can anyone confirm this, please?
Old 01-20-2012, 09:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL500
I just checked my rear doors and the red lights are illuminated when the doors are open. There's also one on the bottom edge of the rear cargo door that illuminates when it is open. I had the reflash for the mirror lights done last week, but don't know if that needs to be done to get the red lights to work because I didn't notice if they worked before the reflash.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:28 AM

Mercedes-Benz ML350
I will check mine tonight.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:37 PM

rear door lights

Originally Posted by vetfed
I just checked my rear doors and the red lights are illuminated when the doors are open. There's also one on the bottom edge of the rear cargo door that illuminates when it is open. I had the reflash for the mirror lights done last week, but don't know if that needs to be done to get the red lights to work because I didn't notice if they worked before the reflash.
Do you have a Premium 2 package?
Old 01-21-2012, 08:23 AM

SL500
Originally Posted by batuceper
Do you have a Premium 2 package?
Yes
Old 01-21-2012, 08:48 AM

Door lights

Yes
I have a Premium 1 package, maybe that's the difference.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:37 PM

2012 ML 350 BlueTec
Mine are illuminated and I have the P2. But I don't remember that being part of it.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:46 PM

Optional Rear Cabin lighting

Originally Posted by katiesdad7
Mine are illuminated and I have the P2. But I don't remember that being part of it.
I found this at: (ref : " rear footwells")

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/vehicl...model-ML350BTC

Enhanced cabin illumination

A network of efficient LEDs and fiber optics casts a gentle glow from beneath the trim on the dashboard and door panels, both to welcome occupants into the cabin and to help make nighttime driving feel more secure. For an added touch of personality, any of three illumination color profiles (Polar, Solar and Neutral) can be selected. Additional lighting enhancements include illuminated front door sills, rear footwells and front cup holders.

Available in Premium 2 Package
Old 01-21-2012, 10:51 PM

ML350 4Matic
I have P1 and they do not work. I removed the red lens and there is nothing behind it.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:56 PM

rear door lights

Originally Posted by shagin wagon
I have P1 and they do not work. I removed the red lens and there is nothing behind it.
Is it wired (with bulb holder)?
Old 01-22-2012, 04:42 AM

SL500
I found this at: (ref : " rear footwells")

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/vehicl...model-ML350BTC

Enhanced cabin illumination

A network of efficient LEDs and fiber optics casts a gentle glow from beneath the trim on the dashboard and door panels, both to welcome occupants into the cabin and to help make nighttime driving feel more secure. For an added touch of personality, any of three illumination color profiles (Polar, Solar and Neutral) can be selected. Additional lighting enhancements include illuminated front door sills, rear footwells and front cup holders.

Available in Premium 2 Package

Click on the link you provided and pull down the arrow under "premium interior lighting", which is a standard feature. It shows the red light illuminated on the driver's side rear door. It's a standard feature.......
Old 01-22-2012, 08:37 AM

Rear door lights

Click on the link you provided and pull down the arrow under "premium interior lighting", which is a standard feature. It shows the red light illuminated on the driver's side rear door. It's a standard feature.......
Yes, but the description talks about front cabin lights.

Does anyone with P1 have rear door lights that work?

Thanks.
W166 ML Bluetec, P1 package.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:58 AM

SL500
The description says nothing about the doors. It mentions the front door sills, the foot wells, and the cup holders. The mentioned LED's are a strip of lights under the wood trim encircling the cabin, in a driver's choice of three colors.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:52 AM

Shagin Wagon- How in the world did you remove the rear door panel lenses? I had no problem removing them on my previous w164 with a small flat head screw driver but these won't budge.

You said your P1 didn't have bulbs in your's? Why would MB make this an option when it was standard before and really, this basic function isn't a big deal and would be surprised if it's not a given for P1.

I guess we will see after i have MB reflash for the Door Mirror puddle lights; ro see if this fixes the rear passenger door panel lights.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:54 AM

rear door lights

Shagin Wagon- How in the world did you remove the rear door panel lenses? I had no problem removing them on my previous w164 with a small flat head screw driver but these won't budge.

You said your P1 didn't have bulbs in your's? Why would MB make this an option when it was standard before and really, this basic function isn't a big deal and would be surprised if it's not a given for P1.

I guess we will see after i have MB reflash for the Door Mirror puddle lights; ro see if this fixes the rear passenger door panel lights.
So far, three owners with P1 (including myself) have said the rear door lights don't work. Two owners with P2 sadi their rear door lights work.....
Old 01-22-2012, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
Ambient Lighting, code 876, includes the following lights:

- behind the interior trim
- for double cup holder
- in the rear footwell
- in the air outlet thumbwheels
- behind the front door sill panels (ML 63 AMG: AMG front door sill panels with «AMG» lettering and white LED illumination)
- warning/courtesy lights in the rear

For 2012, code 876 is standard on all W166 in Canada.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:01 PM

ML350 4Matic
Is it wired (with bulb holder)?
Nothing, no bulb holder.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:03 PM

ML350 4Matic

Used a small blade screwdriver, insert screwdriver on upper edge and pry downward.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,168 Likes on 839 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Originally Posted by shagin wagon
Nothing, no bulb holder.
I would trust YYZ's info - essentially in the US you need P2 to get the rear door lights. Sounds like Canada gets them as part of their config.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:44 AM

Canada!

Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
I would trust YYZ's info - essentially in the US you need P2 to get the rear door lights. Sounds like Canada gets them as part of their config.
I knew I should have moved to Canada!

But then again, maybe not.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:21 PM

Thank you guys for looking into this. I just find it frustrating when manufacturers take away standard equipment on previous models and then make it an option on current/newer models, especially for something that is not a major upgrade in regards to the cost for them in my opinion, but well worth the simple feature.

My A4 has red door panel lights on all four doors as standard safety equipment. I know we can go all day long comparing manufacturers' standard equipment so I will stop now.

I guess this is just one area MB can save some $ since the beginning MSRP is the same as the 2011 model and they threw in some add'l standard features like the "power lift gate."

Last edited by metidogeno; 01-23-2012 at 01:44 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:50 PM

Thank you guys for looking into this. I just find it frustrating when manufacturers take away standard equipment on previous models and then make it an option on current/newer models, especially for something that is not a major upgrade in regards to the cost for them in my opinion, but well worth the simple feature.

My A4 has red door panel lights on all four doors as standard safety equipment. I now we can go all day long comparing manufacturers' standard equipment so I will stop now.

I guess this is just one area MB can save some $ since the beginning MSRP is the same as the 2011 model and they threw in some add'l standard features like the "power lift gate."
To me, this takes nickel-and-diming to a new level. MBUSA probably saved $25 per door by doing this, but creates a lasting irritant for the consumer.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:58 PM

2012 ML350 BTC
i have p1, front and trunk lights up, rear's not.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rear passenger door lights do not illuminate