M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Retrofiting Nightvision on my ML

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 11:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 ML
Retrofiting Nightvision on my ML

I decided to add night vision to my ML, I am using a Raytheon L3 Thermal Imaging Camera which I sourced from a caddilac deville. For video source I used video aux. input along with a video in motion unit( you can enable a aux. video input in engineering mode which will allow you to connect a fakra/rca plug to the back of command NTG 4.5).
Yesterday I finally did my first driving bench test where the camera was connected to the oem command display via video aux. input and my friend was sticking out the Raytheon out of the sunroof. I gotta admit this is some amazing stuff! You can see people at least 3 times further than the headlights, making this camera really awesome!

There is one big drawback to adding night vision on the w166- the position of the oem screen, if you decide to add nightvision as an option on MY14 honestly its pretty much useless on the OEM display, i spent about 30 minutes driving around with it and every-time you have to take your eyes of the road in order to look at the night vision . I can pretty much retrofit this system in less than a day on my ML, there is plenty of space in the front bumper and routing the wires is pretty simple. But the OEM display location bothers me now, I have an idea of using a motorised display found in a mid 2000 volvo XC90 and installing it in the dash center speaker location, which will be perfect viewing position while driving- still looking into this. If anyone has any display ideas, please share!

From the picture you will notice I am missing the front protective lens, this is also a small hold up on my project right now as i have to source a germanium lens, since regular glass or plastic reflects thermal back in the camera. The camera works fine without the lens, but I am risking destroying the main lens which is $$$. I ll try to make a video in the next couple of days driving around with the camera.

Last edited by stas2007; 05-14-2013 at 11:39 AM.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
13-ML350 BT;06-IS300;99-4Runner
Originally Posted by stas2007
I decided to add night vision to my ML, I am using a Raytheon L3 Thermal Imaging Camera which I sourced from a caddilac deville. For video source I used video aux. input along with a video in motion unit( you can enable a aux. video input in engineering mode which will allow you to connect a fakra/rca plug to the back of command NTG 4.5).
Yesterday I finally did my first driving bench test where the camera was connected to the oem command display via video aux. input and my friend was sticking out the Raytheon out of the sunroof. I gotta admit this is some amazing stuff! You can see people at least 3 times further than the headlights, making this camera really awesome!

There is one big drawback to adding night vision on the w166- the position of the oem screen, if you decide to add nightvision as an option on MY14 honestly its pretty much useless on the OEM display, i spent about 30 minutes driving around with it and every-time you have to take your eyes of the road in order to look at the night vision . I can pretty much retrofit this system in less than a day on my ML, there is plenty of space in the front bumper and routing the wires is pretty simple. But the OEM display location bothers me now, I have an idea of using a motorised display found in a mid 2000 volvo XC90 and installing it in the dash center speaker location, which will be perfect viewing position while driving- still looking into this. If anyone has any display ideas, please share!

From the picture you will notice I am missing the front protective lens, this is also a small hold up on my project right now as i have to source a germanium lens, since regular glass or plastic reflects thermal back in the camera. The camera works fine without the lens, but I am risking destroying the main lens which is $$$. I ll try to make a video in the next couple of days driving around with the camera.
Wow, I can't wait to see what the image looks like.
Can you post a picture image?
Old 05-14-2013, 09:41 PM

ML 350 Bluetec
Very interesting and creative project.

I'll be curious to see your pictures, once you complete the install.

I agree with the location issue. Having to turn my head to look at the Comand screen seemed like a distraction. It would be a lot better if it were displayed on the dash, say in place of the speedo/tach (that would require an LCD dash, though). Ultimately, I think the best solution is a heads up display on the windshield.

A couple of questions:

1. Did you look at other sensor/camera options? (I'm thinking that MB must use some mass produced sensor, since the option is about $1600, so I'm wondering if there is a $300-$400 sensor out there)

2. Do you think or know if there is existing sensor wiring, even on the cars that do not include the option?
Old 05-15-2013, 08:48 AM

2013 ML
Originally Posted by 340z
Very interesting and creative project.

I'll be curious to see your pictures, once you complete the install.

I agree with the location issue. Having to turn my head to look at the Comand screen seemed like a distraction. It would be a lot better if it were displayed on the dash, say in place of the speedo/tach (that would require an LCD dash, though). Ultimately, I think the best solution is a heads up display on the windshield.

A couple of questions:

1. Did you look at other sensor/camera options? (I'm thinking that MB must use some mass produced sensor, since the option is about $1600, so I'm wondering if there is a $300-$400 sensor out there)

2. Do you think or know if there is existing sensor wiring, even on the cars that do not include the option?
I looked at others there is only 2 available in USA-FLIR & Raytheon. Flir costs about 2k for a retrofit kit, and its the same camera that Audi and BMW comes with. Flir does have better screen resolution but 2k is not worth the investment for me.
About the wiring- its a camera so it wires like one! my unit has a 4 pin plug-which is low & high signal(which i wired to yellow video plug), power and ground.There is also another 2 pin plug(power & ground) for germanium lens heater. Its basically same as installing a back up camera .
Old 05-17-2013, 03:09 PM

2013 ML
Youtube link, i was taking the video with a phone-you cant see as much details, in real life there is a lot more detail when you look at the display..

Last edited by stas2007; 05-17-2013 at 03:14 PM.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:06 PM

13-ML350 BT;06-IS300;99-4Runner
Youtube link, i was taking the video with a phone-you cant see as much details, in real life there is a lot more detail when you look at the display..

http://youtu.be/Ncr2ux9PKHQ

Nice works and thanks for the posting!

Just wondering, how the COMAND will work after you added the new camera?
Are you able to "toggle" both cameras?
Old 05-21-2013, 10:25 PM

ML550
That is pretty cool!
Old 05-22-2013, 11:44 AM

2013 ML
Originally Posted by sxue888
Nice works and thanks for the posting!

Just wondering, how the COMAND will work after you added the new camera?
Are you able to "toggle" both cameras?
This set up has nothing to do with rear camera, I used the video aux. input. On the back of command there are 3 fakra video inputs:
1-Nightvision
I was not able to activate OEM Nightvision from engineering menu, after playing around with the engineering menu for ever was not able to use this video input.
2-Rear camera
Was able to activate it via engineering menu and add a backup camera
3-Video aux
Also was able to activate via engineering menu,basically adds an aux video on the command screen under the dvd tab- i am currently using it for apple mirrowing device which basically sends sound and video from my iphone to the command. I use it for google maps,ipod, trapster, waze, youtube etc. Thats the video input I used to test the nightvision. I had to buy a VIM to make it work while driving.

Very usefull for me since i dont have P1 package.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:55 PM

M
2-Rear camera
Was able to activate it via engineering menu and add a backup camera
It is enough to use the engeneering menu to enable the rear camera ? I heard that you can enable the camera only with a coding procedure that requires to connect to MB servers
Old 06-03-2013, 08:36 AM

2013 ML
On NTG 4.5 you can enable camera through engineering mode, no need any coding.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2005 ML350, 2008 GL320, 2013 Gl350
looks like your about to butcher the ML with you xc90 screen idea!
Old 06-03-2013, 02:57 PM

M
On NTG 4.5 you can enable camera through engineering mode, no need any coding.
Great news, many thanks ! Also the guiding lines on the screen can be enabled with this menu ?
Old 06-04-2013, 08:36 AM

2013 ML
Originally Posted by Pia Telande
Great news, many thanks ! Also the guiding lines on the screen can be enabled with this menu ?
I am sure they can also be enabled but I didnt find it in the engineering menu (didnt really look that hard) , so if you find it let me know.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W212
Great works, any ideal how to retrofit the night vision cam on S400 w222 ?
Old 05-01-2016, 09:37 AM

Ml 250 w166
Hello i am kari from finland and i planing purchase flir pathfindir 2, is it possible integrate To mb ml w166 oem screen. All guidelines are wellcome. I do not understand eletronics and my english is not good.