M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Audio starts playing randomly when I start the car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 ML 350
Audio starts playing randomly when I start the car

This issue is driving me crazy and I have no way to figure out how to fix this.

Whenever I start my car, the audio (radio, cd etc.) sometimes starts playing even though I muted the audio before turning the car off. Other times, it does not start playing (regardless of whether it was muted or not when the car was turned off).

Is there a way to ensure that when the audio was not playing before, it is still not playing when I start the car?
Old 04-14-2014, 03:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
slk
Sounds like Christine.
Watch out seat may start moving next.. Lol
Sorry... Just to lighten up!
Old 04-15-2014, 11:44 AM

2013 ML 350
Not getting any replies to the thread makes me even more worried that this problem is unique to my car. Since this morning I've turned on the car 3 times and the music started playing all those 3 times and i had to hit mute. Should I be contacting the customer service for this ?
Old 04-15-2014, 12:22 PM

2013 ML550
That appears to be one of the few issues that I HAVEN'T had yet. However I only listen music from my iPhone. Not sure if this helps but when I go into a store and start my truck with the remote start, if I left my phone in and attached via the media cable it starts playing where it left off.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:18 PM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
2023 EQS 580 SUV
I wouldn't expect the music to stay muted when the car is turned off and later turned back on. Why not just use the power button to turn the music off?
Old 04-15-2014, 01:46 PM

2013 ML 350
What power button? I know only of one in the center which turns the entire system off (including navigation etc.)
Old 04-15-2014, 01:56 PM

2023 EQS 580 SUV
Originally Posted by sethml350
What power button? I know only of one in the center which turns the entire system off (including navigation etc.)
Yes that's the button I'm talking about :-) You could also lower the volume instead of muting it, that setting should not change on it's own.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:54 PM

2013 ML 350
That wouldn't solve the problem though. One solution I found was to change the input of the audio to something where no device is connected e.g. aux (if there is no aux device. WHen I'd start the car the system would go back to that input and will remain muted.

Just curious, haven't you guys faced this problem? If you are playing a cd/radio and mute it, turn off the car and start it again... does it remain mute? Super surprising it is happening only with me
Old 04-15-2014, 09:00 PM

2023 EQS 580 SUV
At first I found it weird that I can't turn the radio off without turning off everything including the ability to receive hands free calls. I never really tried the mute button unless I wasn't sure if I was hearing ambulance sirene for example. If I'm listening to the radio I just lower the volume if I want silence and if I'm listening to music from my phone (via bluetooth) I just stop the song that's playing and that's it.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:06 PM

2021 GLB35, 2007 E350, 2014 ML350 4Matic, 2008 C350 Sport
I just hit mute before I shut the car down and the next time I start the car the radio is still on mute. Does the same on my 2008 C 350.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:03 AM

W166 BT
Disc button

That wouldn't solve the problem though. One solution I found was to change the input of the audio to something where no device is connected e.g. aux (if there is no aux device. WHen I'd start the car the system would go back to that input and will remain muted.

Just curious, haven't you guys faced this problem? If you are playing a cd/radio and mute it, turn off the car and start it again... does it remain mute? Super surprising it is happening only with me
I don't know why everyone seems to think you have to mute the whole system or turn the power off to mute it, all you have to do is hit the "disc" button beside the radio button and each time you push it, it toggles to another media source (aux, cd, Bluetooth, iPod/iphone, hard drive, etc) so if you want quiet you just toggle to cd or aux or something with no input or you pause/stop the Bluetooth player if you have it set to that. No need to use the comand menu. You can then go back to nav screen by hitting the navi button and not see the empty source on the screen and should stay on that "source" when you stop and start as well . Should have been called the "media" button instead of "disc" since I use it everyday multiple times and have never used a disc yet ...
Old 04-16-2014, 08:23 AM

2013 MB ML550
I have also noticed this. I agree that the behavior is undesirable but I do not think it is totally random. For me it seems to be tied to when the trip computer resets. I think that if you mute and turn off, and then come back before the reset (maybe 4 hours?) i.e. rest stop.. it will stay muted but will unmute on next start. If you mute and then wait the full trip expire time it stays perpetually muted. Something close to that. I think my muscle memory has it figured out but as I type it I am unsure. I will start paying more attention.

A few radio blasts when you think the system is muted and you travel with coworkers makes this get old quickly.

-m-
Old 04-16-2014, 10:04 PM

2021 GLB35, 2007 E350, 2014 ML350 4Matic, 2008 C350 Sport
While the radio is playing if you press mute on the steering wheel it only mutes the radio, not the whole system. If you hit mute while the Nav is speaking then it will mute the Nav. Works the same way with the phone. Trust me I drive every day with the radio muted and the Nav & phone will still speak when in use. I have 2 Benz's and it functions the same way in both cars.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:05 PM

2013 ML 350
I tried it several times yesterday and found out that it was much more consistent when the radio was playing vs when a cd was playing. The cd always started playing again when I started the car. Radio stayed on mute more than 80% of the time. Thanks everyone for pitching in.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:29 PM

W166 BT
I tried it several times yesterday and found out that it was much more consistent when the radio was playing vs when a cd was playing. The cd always started playing again when I started the car. Radio stayed on mute more than 80% of the time. Thanks everyone for pitching in.
Like I said, you don't have to mute the radio or turn off the system to prevent sound from returning when you turn the car off and on, all you have to do is hit the "disc" button beside the radio button and each time you push it, it toggles to another media source (aux, cd, Bluetooth, iPod/iphone, hard drive, etc) so if you want quiet you just toggle to cd or aux or something with no input. No need to use the comand menu. You can then go back to nav screen by hitting the navi button and not see the empty source on the screen and it will stay on that empty "source" when you stop and start as well . Should have been called the "media" button instead of "disc" since I use it everyday multiple times and have never played a disc...
Old 04-17-2014, 02:45 PM

2013 ML 350
Yes and I understand that. However this is still a workaround creating extra work for me, since the by design the current behavior is stupid. I won't waste everyone's time here anymore dwelling on this issue. Thanks so much for your input on this.