M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Ordering 2015 ML350

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ml350
Ordering 2015 ML350

Thinking about ordering 2015 ML350. Never had SUV. just me and my wife but we are expecting our first child soon

So far my choice is:

Obsidian Black Metallic
Sport Package
Light Package
Running Boards
Illuminated Star
Chrome hood fins
Interior Sport Package with Black DINAMICA/MB Tex
Premium Package for entertainment
Lane Tracking Package
Parking Assist Package

MSRP for above $63665

What is you guys opinion of above? What is worth it and not? Should I add anything else?
Also how much bargaining can be done on a order?

Thanks alot,
I am new to Mercedes so I really appreciate the input.

John
Old 10-22-2014, 04:52 PM

ml350
Oh.. and to help with things. I'm trying to keep in under 65.

I have questions about adding the harmon kardon system, tow package....
Old 10-22-2014, 05:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by aznbuvu
...So far my choice is:

Obsidian Black Metallic
Sport Package
Light Package
Running Boards
Illuminated Star
Chrome hood fins
Lane Tracking Package
Parking Assist Package

MSRP for above $63665

What is you guys opinion of above? What is worth it and not? Should I add anything else?

Thanks alot,

John
Obsidian Black Metallic

Sport Package The Exterior one? If YES... Good

Light Package Bi Xenon or Ambient? be sure you get Bi Xenon. Ambient is cool but not necessary.

Running Boards Be SURE they don't make getting in & out difficult/dirty. They keep your legs, therefore your body far away from the seat. Try one without.

Illuminated Star I would delete IMHO not befitting a Benz

Chrome hood fins OK if you like them...personal choice.

Interior Sport Package with Black DINAMICA/MB Tex Not chosen by me (personal choice) I'd have active park assist w/ surround camera instead.

Premium Package for entertainment Great

Lane Tracking Package Necessary & Good for safety

Parking Assist Package Necessary & Good for safety

I also recommend HK Sound system too. Very full sound at low volume levels.

Keyless Go if it fits your budget. Easier on the wrist. MB ignition switches have to be twisted about 160 degrees. Pretty far twist pf the wrist.

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 10-23-2014 at 10:08 AM.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
If you live South of the Mason Dixon line, you may want to reconsider obsidian and go with a more reflective color for heat purposes.
Ambient lighting is just silly for $300, adaptive headlights are wise.
Chrome hood fins, not with black.
Running boards, I wouldn't want them in snow country.
Keyless go, yes.
Airmatic ride? I would.

Good luck
Old 10-22-2014, 07:07 PM
27T

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
13ML BT

Obsidian Black Metallic - I like black cars. I prefer the flat black however (bonus: no extra charge like obsidian)
Sport Package - Meh, overpriced. It adds very little.
Light Package - Must have
Running Boards - Very useful
Illuminated Star - Tacky
Chrome hood fins - Tacky but if you like more plastic chrome get it.
Interior Sport Package with Black DINAMICA/MB Tex - Sports interior is not needed. MB Tex is a smart choice.
Premium Package for entertainment - for entertainment? I'd get it for NAV, etc.
Lane Tracking Package - Smart buy
Parking Assist Package - Smart buy
If you can wait, get the 2016 because it'll be a major refresh. Hence, getting the exterior sports pkg is a waste.

Consider:
- Ambient Lighting (this, with wrapped dash makes the car feel like is more modern/luxurious)
- Stitched/Wrapped dash (makes car interior feel $10K more expensive)
- Factory Tow hitch (otherwise cost thousands at dealer)
- Keyless go (must have)
- Black headliner (if that appeals to you)
- Surround view cameras (very helpful)

In the end, it is up to you. Your money, your preferences, your car. In some markets you can easily get 10-12% off MSRP (even on orders). All depends on dealer.

Poke around this site for more info on options and pricing.

Last edited by 27T; 10-23-2014 at 02:05 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:44 PM

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
2020 GLE 450
I'd say ditch the illuminated star and chrome hood vents. The HK for $850 is great and if you have any plans to tow or put a bike rack on the ML, then definitely get the tow pkg. Keyless go is also worth the $650 IMHO.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:56 PM

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
07 TL, 05 350z, 08 MDX
You can probably get the car you just described off a dealer lot minus the sport package. My MB dealer had plenty of 350 in stock configured the way you mentioned. And if you get one off the lot you will get a better deal than ordering one. Also, I would wait til the very end of the month to buy it. I started negotiating mine on Sept 21 of last month and I bought it on Sept 30th. Last day of the month = they are trying to meet quotas and more willing to bargain .

Anyway, to answer your questions, I would get the HK sounds system over the stock. I would pass on the illuminated star.

Someone else said ambient lighting was silly for $300. In my opinion, for $300, why not? Looks damn cool.

Anyway, good luck with your new car when you get it.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 ML 550, CLK63 AMG, 2012 E350 4MATIC
Thinking about ordering 2015 ML350. Never had SUV. just me and my wife but we are expecting our first child soon

So far my choice is:

Obsidian Black Metallic
Sport Package
Light Package
Running Boards
Illuminated Star
Chrome hood fins
Lane Tracking Package
Parking Assist Package

MSRP for above $63665

Thanks alot,

John

The running boards definitely work against you loading an infant in/out of a car. Look at how much closer you can get your knees to the seat without that 3" running board there...(well, it's about the full 3").
The kid won't be climbing in and out of it for years. in that regard, I've always found the MB-tex to be a great seating surface, not that big a downgrade from leather, very durable and easy to clean...our first benz had mbtex and my wife didn't even know it for six months.
I would def forgo the illuminated star and chrome, and get distronic instead, since you have the other assist packages listed.
A kid is going to trash your car, there's no way around it...trust me, you will be that guy standing by the highway trying to clean some kind of explosion off the interior...as you freak out you'll be on the wrong side of the "it's only a car" argument!
I mean seriously, get a milk crate and throw into it a roll of shop towels/cleaner/wipes/gloves/trash bags/febreeze/water/diapers/onesie/pacifier (you will look like a hero)....never underestimate the power of an infants intestinal tract.

Last edited by schorert1; 10-23-2014 at 10:54 AM.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,742 Likes on 2,138 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...

So far my choice is:

Obsidian Black Metallic
Sport Package
Light Package
Running Boards
Illuminated Star
Chrome hood fins
Lane Tracking Package
Parking Assist Package
MSRP for above $63665
John
My opinion:

Don't go black--nightmare to keep clean. White or a silver.
Lose the Sport Pkg. It's a truck. Go with 19" wheels max.
Lose the running boards--unless you have little kids.
Lighted star? You must be kidding.
Instead of lane tracking, get full Drivers Assistance Pkg. Distronic is THE best option of all time. It can save your life.
Harmon-Kardon is a magnificent system for not that much money, so definitely get it.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Streamliner
My opinion:

Don't go black--nightmare to keep clean. White or a silver.
Lose the Sport Pkg. It's a truck. Go with 19" wheels max.
Lose the running boards--unless you have little kids.
Lighted star? You must be kidding.
Instead of lane tracking, get full Drivers Assistance Pkg. Distronic is THE best option of all time. It can save your life.
Harmon-Kardon is a magnificent system for not that much money, so definitely get it.
My god, just got my first distronic car this week...it's nuts how great it works...always thought it was a bit of a gimmic, but very well worth it in my brief experience.
Hard to choose between that and "brake hold" as my favorite features...
Old 10-24-2014, 10:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Aparently they have made some subtle changes to the MBUSA website, Build Your Own ML350" Section...

There is no more mention of lighted sills included with the ambient lighting option, the Interior Sport pkg option I can't find. The sport pkg option is now confusing to understand because there used to be a Sport Pkg Plus One which is not listed anymore for the 20 inch wheels. I wonder why???

My build date is now 11/5.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:59 PM

ml350
Thanks for the replies.

So my final order is:

ML350
Black color
Black MB Tex
Premium package
Convenience package
Lighting package
Tow package
Running boards
20" amg spoke wheels
Keyless go
Lane tracking package
Parking assist package

Thanks for the input. I was able to tweak a few things from your responses.
Old 10-25-2014, 04:37 PM

Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts
Presently 19 S560 SEDAN, 2014 XK, SOLD GLE 450e
ML 400

I think I'd have gotten the ML400 instead and also the multi contoured seats. I got a loaner GLK350 when I took my ML350 Blue Tec in for service and my impression of it, and I think it has the same engine as the ML350 gas engine, is that it was underpowered and that GLK is lighter than a ML. Just my opinion.

Distronic in the Mercedes is lacking in some areas. IF your on a three lane hwy and say in the left lane coming up on slower traffic, the ML hesitates as it approaches the other cars then carries on at the speed you set. They need to narrow the view of the radar to not see the car in the next lane. Jaguar with its Adaptive Cruise Control is much better than Distronic cruise control.

By the way, I mentioned the above 'hesitation' to the service rep and he says his does the same thing. It's not my imagination.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by HAILERS2
I think I'd have gotten the ML400 instead and also the multi contoured seats. I got a loaner GLK350 when I took my ML350 Blue Tec in for service and my impression of it, and I think it has the same engine as the ML350 gas engine, is that it was underpowered and that GLK is lighter than a ML. Just my opinion.

Distronic in the Mercedes is lacking in some areas. IF your on a three lane hwy and say in the left lane coming up on slower traffic, the ML hesitates as it approaches the other cars then carries on at the speed you set. They need to narrow the view of the radar to not see the car in the next lane. Jaguar with its Adaptive Cruise Control is much better than Distronic cruise control.

By the way, I mentioned the above 'hesitation' to the service rep and he says his does the same thing. It's not my imagination.
It's definitely not your imagination. there is a slight pause as the distronic dismisses traffic you're passing. It doesn't brake, but it does cut the power a bit. somehow it seems to work well as vehicles move out of the travel lane, as it still "sees" the vehicle straddling the line a bit. I'm still not comfortable with it, so anything I perceive as the car "working things out" seems welcome.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,742 Likes on 2,138 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by schorert1
It's definitely not your imagination. there is a slight pause as the distronic dismisses traffic you're passing. It doesn't brake, but it does cut the power a bit. somehow it seems to work well as vehicles move out of the travel lane, as it still "sees" the vehicle straddling the line a bit. I'm still not comfortable with it, so anything I perceive as the car "working things out" seems welcome.
Yes, Distronic is not perfect, but it is MAGNIFICENT, nonetheless. Even in fairly heavy traffic, I will use it. If I get distracted--even for a split second, and the car in front of me slams on their brakes, Distronic gives me that tiny--but extremely important--extra split second of time to react, as it lifts the throttle and hits the brakes BEFORE I even realize what the hell is going on. It is a crying shame that this potentially life saving feature isn't standard equipment on every car sold. And, it is just NUTS that dealers don't order it for cars in inventory. They will load their lots with ML's with running boards, sports packages, Panorama Roofs and illuminated stars, but they can't bring themselves to order cars for stock with the Driver's Assistance Package. I absolutely, positively will not own another car without a Distronic type of system.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Defender 90/360 Modena/2012 MLBTC on order
Having owned a ML for 3 yrs the one option I would miss is the HK sound syste...followed closely by Blind Spot monitoring
Old 10-31-2014, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Streamliner
Yes, Distronic is not perfect, but it is MAGNIFICENT, nonetheless. Even in fairly heavy traffic, I will use it. If I get distracted--even for a split second, and the car in front of me slams on their brakes, Distronic gives me that tiny--but extremely important--extra split second of time to react, as it lifts the throttle and hits the brakes BEFORE I even realize what the hell is going on. It is a crying shame that this potentially life saving feature isn't standard equipment on every car sold. And, it is just NUTS that dealers don't order it for cars in inventory. They will load their lots with ML's with running boards, sports packages, Panorama Roofs and illuminated stars, but they can't bring themselves to order cars for stock with the Driver's Assistance Package. I absolutely, positively will not own another car without a Distronic type of system.

Semi related. just for yucks I tried the parking assist yesterday...holy sh*t that's a hoot! I could not believe it slipped me into a spot in just a few seconds.
My wife's superpower is parallel parking. It's totally emasculating to me how she can put any vehicle in any spot a few inches from the curb on the first try. I'm pretty confident that if I pretend to manipulate the wheel, I can fool her for quite awhile into thinking I can out park her. and really, isn't it the little victories that make life worth living?