M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

49,500 miles - what should I do? Advice, please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ml350 bluetec
49,500 miles - what should I do? Advice, please

Bought a brand new 2012 Bluetec about 2.5 years ago. My warranty is about to expire.

My transmission shifts less than stellar. When it was brand new, gear shifts were imperceptible. Now it kinda slugs into gear the first two shifts. Same on downshifts.

There's some oil leaking underneath the turbo. Not a lot, but it's there.

This model has what are now well documented issues with the transmission control unit and that particular oil seal.

Do I pay through the nose for an extended warranty? Or do I sell this thing? When I purchased this, I had hoped to keep it for a long, long time.
Old 02-07-2015, 03:54 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
2015, ML250 BlueTEC
problems

See your MB dealer NOW!
Old 02-07-2015, 08:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ML350 BTC & C300
Yes, get that leak fixed ASAP.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 ML 550, CLK63 AMG, 2012 E350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Juezentexas
Bought a brand new 2012 Bluetec about 2.5 years ago. My warranty is about to expire.

My transmission shifts less than stellar. When it was brand new, gear shifts were imperceptible. Now it kinda slugs into gear the first two shifts. Same on downshifts.

This model has what are now well documented issues with the transmission control unit and that particular oil seal.

Do I pay through the nose for an extended warranty? Or do I sell this thing? When I purchased this, I had hoped to keep it for a long, long time.

Definitely get it in for service, keep it until the new models come out in oct...
Old 02-09-2015, 09:25 PM

Ml350 bluetec
Today it had a bad 'clunk' while downshifting...

Geez, in this day and age, it seems like any new car should basically drive without breaking down for 100,000 miles,no????
Old 02-10-2015, 07:55 AM

2014 ML350 BlueTec

Geez, in this day and age, it seems like any new car should basically drive without breaking down for 100,000 miles,no????
For some vehicles, yes. For other not so.
Old 02-12-2015, 06:41 PM

Ml350 bluetec
If hyundai can warranty their drivetrain for 100,000 miles, I don't know why others can't or won't. If Mercedes engineering is so wonderful, why don't they put their money where their mouth is?

Maybe I should have bought a Toyota/Lexus product.... They don't have a 100,000 mile warranty, but they don't need one because their cars don't break down.
Old 02-12-2015, 07:50 PM

Defender 90/360 Modena/2012 MLBTC on order

I was in the same situation...similar service issues. Got them fixed under warranty..spent big$$ for 100k extended warranty.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:07 PM

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
2013 ML350 Bluetec, 2016 C3, 2020 Lincoln Aviator
Unfortunately I think everyone knows Mercedes is not in the upper half of the reliability list.

If hyundai can warranty their drivetrain for 100,000 miles, I don't know why others can't or won't. If Mercedes engineering is so wonderful, why don't they put their money where their mouth is?

Maybe I should have bought a Toyota/Lexus product.... They don't have a 100,000 mile warranty, but they don't need one because their cars don't break down.
Old 02-13-2015, 12:54 PM

lada
My experience

I bought the extended warrantee from Mercedes when I was at 75,000 kms (I am in Canada). Cost was $4200 Canadian Dollars to go to 160,000 kms.

I debated it and said what could possibly go wrong.

Without getting into details We have been back numerous times since warrantee expired. The cost has already been covered, at least $5000 of repairs!!!!!

Do it!!!!
Old 02-13-2015, 06:02 PM

Crap ML350

Do not keep the MB. It is complete crap. My mom has a ML350 and her seat has ripped, her air conditioner has broken, and she needs new brake pads and tires at 34,000 miles. Buy a Jeep Grand Cherokee it has the same platform. You'll be much happier in the long run. I assure you completely. Sell that freakin piece of junk.
Old 02-13-2015, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Jmoore2718
Do not keep the MB. It is complete crap. My mom has a ML350 and her seat has ripped, her air conditioner has broken, and she needs new brake pads and tires at 34,000 miles. Buy a Jeep Grand Cherokee it has the same platform. You'll be much happier in the long run. I assure you completely. Sell that freakin piece of junk.

Stay away from the Jeep GC diesel. Huge problems with DEF and associated cat. So many problems people are waiting several months for parts.
Old 02-14-2015, 09:43 AM

Crap ML350
Originally Posted by Kartergreg
Stay away from the Jeep GC diesel. Huge problems with DEF and associated cat. So many problems people are waiting several months for parts.
Well that's great news! See I'm not getting the diesel. I'm getting the pentastar. The car has so much more to offer then the Mercedes. Your stupid to believe you will have more problems with the jeep. I can assure you 100% now that they have found out about this problem they can't sell it of the lot. I talked to one of the salesmen to find out. So I know what's gonna last longer.
Old 02-14-2015, 12:26 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
2015, ML250 BlueTEC
Toyota/Lexus Breakdowns

I worked @ Lexus Dealership over 10 yrs. The shop was always busy doing repairs. Also many recalls that were never made public.i.e. transmission replacement,brake problems,steering rack replacement etc. Dream on!
Old 02-14-2015, 05:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350

I must go on record as having said that I've NEVER seen a Toyota or Lexus dealership that had only 4 bays for oil and filter changes but no other service department. Apparently, they DO need a service department for their cars too.
Old 02-14-2015, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jmoore2718
Your stupid to believe you will have more problems with the jeep. I can assure you 100% now that they have found out about this problem they can't sell it of the lot. I talked to one of the salesmen to find out. So I know what's gonna last longer.
Not sure what you are trying to say, but I stand by my statement that the Jeep GC diesel is having terrible problems, and they continue to sell them. Back ordered parts are causing problems for new owners, and the service departments are rather clueless in many cases.

I wanted to buy one, but they were still a few months prior to production when I was ready to buy. Tried the non-diesel but found the car not nearly as comfortable as the MB, which was important for me as it would be used on long trips.
Old 02-15-2015, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by Kartergreg
Not sure what you are trying to say, but I stand by my statement that the Jeep GC diesel is having terrible problems, and they continue to sell them. Back ordered parts are causing problems for new owners, and the service departments are rather clueless in many cases.

I wanted to buy one, but they were still a few months prior to production when I was ready to buy. Tried the non-diesel but found the car not nearly as comfortable as the MB, which was important for me as it would be used on long trips.
I came damn close to buying a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit instead of the 2015 ML 350 because it had more equipment included for about 10 grand less than the Benz. I went to many dealers here in South Florida to specifically look at their service departments and the service advisors' desks/counters/office. I couldn't stand the thought of being in a dirty, greasy cattle car atmosphere at this stage of my life, after being treated like a guest for the last 20 or so years.

If you read JeepGarage forums you will see plenty of problems with the Jeeps and spectacular parts backorder problems, as well as their vehicle's having a strong sensitivity to different brands of DEF the diesel owners are having. The Diesel enging Chrysler/Fiat is using is not a bad engine in any way but the peripherals attached to the engines & transmissions & drivetrains are giving them some problems.

I'm glad I went with the ML.

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 02-15-2015 at 11:18 AM.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:28 AM

Received 193 Likes on 133 Posts
2024 GLE 53 AMG Coupe
Let me just start by saying that I currently drive the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Yes it does share the same platform and yes it may be similar to the ML but if I were you I would just get another ML over the Grand Cherokee. The leather seats are hard as a rock, the transmission really sucks in the V6 and I'm constantly telling the service people to fix numerous problems when I take it in to get serviced. The most recent problem was the auto A/C kept turning on the windshield defroster and wouldn't blow any air into the cabin. I would have to manually take it off auto to get some air. Also there are active recalls out right now that Chrysler doesn't even have parts for and they have been active for quite some time now. If I were you DO NOT get a grand Cherokee. The 2015 isnt any different from the 2014. Luckily mine is leased and I'm for sure giving it back in at the end of the lease and I plan on getting the ML in 2017.

Last edited by makris0000; 02-16-2015 at 05:16 PM.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:16 AM

2013 ML 550, CLK63 AMG, 2012 E350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by makris0000
Let me just start by saying that I currently drive the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Yes it does share the same platform and yes it may be similar to the ML but if I were you I would just get another ML over the Grand Cherokee.
I think the time is well passed to be thinking the current generation Cherokee and the ML "share" anything. The model redesign began well after this partnership dissolved. I sit in a cherokee and I see very little that reminds me of a MB.
certainly seems like Jeep is much closer in quality to Fiat, a better fit.

somewhat related. Always looking for a new (4th) fun vehicle I drove a 2015 wrangler unlimited in PR, off road and on for a week. I was stunned by the ride quality on road and off...but more significant was the build quality in a $36k bare bones vehicle. Always describing the ride and build as "a Jeep thing", they at least had a reputation as being rugged. This new jeep was a totally plastic POS, reminiscent of a suzuki samurai. It gave me access to secluded areas, but I dreaded the ride back out...actually by the end of the week I dreaded getting in the thing(our plan is to close on a vacation property there, then begin importing two MB's per year).
The fleet manager at the rental agency was proud of his new jeeps, asked me what I thought..he laughed when I told him I hated it, that it felt like it was falling apart with 200mi(total) on it...he pointed to a pile of plastic trim and body pieces in the yard "sometimes we glue them back on".
Old 02-19-2015, 03:38 PM

Received 193 Likes on 133 Posts
2024 GLE 53 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by schorert1
I think the time is well passed to be thinking the current generation Cherokee and the ML "share" anything. The model redesign began well after this partnership dissolved. I sit in a cherokee and I see very little that reminds me of a MB.
The Cherokee is not the one sharing with the ML its the Grand Cherokee (they are 2 completely different cars in 2 different segments in the SUV range). Jeep brought back the iconic Cherokee and made it look like ****. Ive been comparing my Grand Cherokee to my friend's 2014 ML 350 and the ride is very similar and also the sizing of both the Grand Cherokee and the ML are almost exactly the same size, so I think they are still "sharing" something due to being about the size (same platform maybe). The Wrangler is not worth the price in my opinion but it could be a fun 5th car. Also Fiat is in relation with Chrysler group now but the Grand Cherokee is more directed to the Range Rovers because both brands are known for making vehicles that are off road capable.

But getting back to the point, OP I think you should get rid of your current ML and get another one since the warranty is about to expire. If I'm correct, I believe the current generation ML's started in 2012 and having the first year of any generation means that it will have bugs and problems (i'm experiencing this with my Jeep since it is a refresh with Chrysler's new at the time transmission and electronics). Just something to think about if you decide to keep your current ML or switch it for something else.

Last edited by makris0000; 02-19-2015 at 03:47 PM.
Old 02-19-2015, 04:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by schorert1

somewhat related. Always looking for a new (4th) fun vehicle I drove a 2015 wrangler unlimited in PR, off road and on for a week. I was stunned by the ride quality on road and off...but more significant was the build quality in a $36k bare bones vehicle. Always describing the ride and build as "a Jeep thing", they at least had a reputation as being rugged. This new jeep was a totally plastic POS, reminiscent of a suzuki samurai. It gave me access to secluded areas, but I dreaded the ride back out...actually by the end of the week I dreaded getting in the thing(our plan is to close on a vacation property there, then begin importing two MB's per year).
The fleet manager at the rental agency was proud of his new jeeps, asked me what I thought..he laughed when I told him I hated it, that it felt like it was falling apart with 200mi(total) on it...he pointed to a pile of plastic trim and body pieces in the yard "sometimes we glue them back on".
Not a CHEROKEE... a GRAND CHEROKEE. 2 different classes of vehicles.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:53 PM

ML 320 CDI

Let me guess, did this happen only when the engine was still cold ? Did it happen when it downshifts from 2 to 1 ?