Auto car wash and precautions to be taken

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 ML350
Auto car wash and precautions to be taken

Hi,
I am a new owner of a CPO ML350. I took it to an automatic car wash today and because of high pressure of water the rear wind shield wiper is not working anymore. I had disabled the auto mode for both front and rear. I am planning to take the vehicle to the dealer since it is under warranty. I need t think twice now before I can take it next time. Can anyone please let me know what precautions need to be taken before an auto car wash? What do you guyz do for the car wash?
Old 06-22-2015, 12:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by FanofML350
Hi,
I am a new owner of a CPO ML350. I took it to an automatic car wash today and because of high pressure of water the rear wind shield wiper is not working anymore. I had disabled the auto mode for both front and rear. I am planning to take the vehicle to the dealer since it is under warranty. I need t think twice now before I can take it next time. Can anyone please let me know what precautions need to be taken before an auto car wash? What do you guyz do for the car wash?
No precautions need be taken. I always have passed my MBs thru automatic car washes once or twice a week. Its a car wash, not Jet exhaust at 5 feet. Your wiper failure is completely coincidental.
Old 06-22-2015, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 ML350
Because of the rear blow dry the wind shield wiper broke. I was said the same that there are no precautions to be taken but the dealer said that it was a common problem which is kinda not convincing. What will happen if something like this happen if your car is out of warranty?
Old 06-22-2015, 09:39 PM

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
2012 S63, 2013 E350 Bluetec
I've had some car washes tape the rear wiper to the window so that it doesn't flap around when the air blast from the dryer hits it.
Old 06-23-2015, 06:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
2000 MB G500 NMLE, 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI Prestige
Originally Posted by ChuckinTucson
I've had some car washes tape the rear wiper to the window so that it doesn't flap around when the air blast from the dryer hits it.
Mine does that.
Old 06-23-2015, 11:14 AM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 CLS550
I am retired and probably have more time than some people here so I understand their need to have the car washed at an auto wash. But I do have the time and so I enjoy washing my car every week and giving it a complete detail and wax every few months. Then I pop open a beer, sit under a tree and admire the "Diamond White" diamonds glisten in the sun. I'm never prouder of my ride than when I finish a detail.

The dealer will wash my car for me free anytime I bring it in but they will induce swirls and scratches for sure because no one is as careful as I am, except perhaps a pro detailer. My ML is three years old and I am the only person who has ever touched the paint. It has never seen an auto car wash either - and never will.
Old 06-23-2015, 10:07 PM

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Mine: 2014 E550 4matic; Hers: 2016 CLS 400 4matic
Originally Posted by shortspark
I am retired and probably have more time than some people here so I understand their need to have the car washed at an auto wash. But I do have the time and so I enjoy washing my car every week and giving it a complete detail and wax every few months. Then I pop open a beer, sit under a tree and admire the "Diamond White" diamonds glisten in the sun. I'm never prouder of my ride than when I finish a detail.

The dealer will wash my car for me free anytime I bring it in but they will induce swirls and scratches for sure because no one is as careful as I am, except perhaps a pro detailer. My ML is three years old and I am the only person who has ever touched the paint. It has never seen an auto car wash either - and never will.
I share your sentiment - I love the feeling of satisfaction of washing my car (even if I don't have enough time to do it). No one ever washes my car other than me.