S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Service B - do i need it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 04:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 S550
Service B - do i need it?

The display screen is telling me that i need Service B. It's been exactly 1 year since my last Service A (at 5,000 miles).

My car is a 2015 S550. I have a total of 7,000 miles on it after 2 years of ownership. Between Service A (at 5,000 miles) & the now Service B, I have only put on 2,000 miles.

Do I really need to do Service B with so little mileage put on the car?

My dealer wants $600 to do Service B. Will I void my warranty if I take it to an independent auto-shop? And how much do Indy shops typically charge?
Old 06-27-2016, 05:30 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,323 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by cheapbrass
The display screen is telling me that i need Service B. It's been exactly 1 year since my last Service A (at 5,000 miles).

My car is a 2015 S550. I have a total of 7,000 miles on it after 2 years of ownership. Between Service A (at 5,000 miles) & the now Service B, I have only put on 2,000 miles.

My dealer wants $600 to do Service B. Will I void my warranty if I take it to an independent auto-shop? And how much do Indy shops typically charge?
You can try and negotiate that down. So long as you take the car to a certified Indy and keep receipts and records your warranty is fine. Usually an Indy will charge 50-80% of dealership quotes.

Also you can buy in to a three year service plan and negotiate that.

Do you need it? Service B? It's another oil change and a bunch of inspections and fluid top offs and a few other things. Probably not but for how few miles you're putting on the car your cost of ownership is rather low so I wouldn't sweat $400-600 for service B
Old 06-27-2016, 07:56 PM

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
2007 CL550
Service "B" includes replacement of the cabin air filter. As long as you have good air flow and no objectionable odors, this could be skipped.

If you have a leased vehicle from MBUSA, your contract requires you to perform ALL listed maintenance items. It might even require replacement of wiper blades even if they appear fine and you live in a part of the country where they are rarely used.
Old 06-27-2016, 09:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 313 Likes on 214 Posts
‘19 AMG S63

I would not skip the B Service. Especially if you want to keep your warranty rights intact. In fact if you read your warranty manual, it has big bold black lettering essentially warning you to follow this maintenance schedule to keep your warranty in play. So either have the dealership do it or a shop that works on MB cars especially since you have a new car--do not skimp.

With that said there usually is a way to set the timer to 10,000 miles or 24 months instead of 12 months--not recommended for a car still in warranty. I know this since besides my '16 S class I have a 2000 e320 4matic with 123,000 miles that my son drives. The MB dealer set the timer for A or B service to 24 months instead of 12 months since he only drives it about 4000 miles per year. As stated I would not recommend this for cars in warranty but even the MB dealer on an older car feels it is silly for me to go through the maintenance schedule on the older car since it is a long time since it was under warranty.
Old 06-27-2016, 09:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by steveb9771
Service "B" includes replacement of the cabin air filter. As long as you have good air flow and no objectionable odors, this could be skipped.

If you have a leased vehicle from MBUSA, your contract requires you to perform ALL listed maintenance items. It might even require replacement of wiper blades even if they appear fine and you live in a part of the country where they are rarely used.
Good point. Based on how the lease contract is written, if you had leased the car they can possibly collect money for any services that you have not performed.

$600 may sound like a lot but realize that most likely it is just about 2 weeks worth depreciation on a new S Class. If you want to spend less I concur with others in taking the car to a reputable Independent mechanic who works on high end Mercedes vehicles and document that the service was performed properly and on time. It will keep your car running smoothly.
Old 06-28-2016, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'15 S550 4matic; '10 RX350; '14 E350 Cabriolet
Service "B" also includes flushing/replacing the brake fluid. This is recommended every 2 years, regardless of mileage. Brake fluid is highly hygroscopic (absorbs moisture) which will lower its boiling point.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 243 Likes on 195 Posts
2014 S550 AMG, 2017 XT5
http://www.europaorlando.com/service-a-h

Hope this helps !
The following users liked this post:
hstmercedes (07-01-2016)
Old 07-01-2016, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 S550
Why are you so cheap? You just spent $100K plus on your vehicle and you're quibbling about a measly $600 bucks? My 2015 S550 will get the royal treatment even with 5K miles so far.
Old 07-01-2016, 12:49 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,323 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by Parcon
Why are you so cheap? You just spent $100K plus on your vehicle and you're quibbling about a measly $600 bucks? My 2015 S550 will get the royal treatment even with 5K miles so far.
I don't think he's being cheap

Just because he bought a $100k car doesn't mean he wants to throw away his cash, he's looking to be efficient with his money, and exploring his options

He brings up a great point -- is service that's required based on the mileage or age of the car
The following 2 users liked this post by PeterUbers:
cupecoy (10-13-2023), WEBSRFR (07-01-2016)
Old 07-01-2016, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘19 AMG S63
Originally Posted by Parcon

Interesting judgment comment. I invest monies for some of my clients that have networth's exceeding $10 million. They are the ones I must pay their $35 annual IRA fees since they do not want to pay $35.

So I would be careful about these types of financial judgments since many times the people who have millions are the ones that are thrifty.

Last edited by MTrauman; 07-01-2016 at 02:24 PM.
Old 07-01-2016, 10:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,419 Likes on 1,948 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
OR, the OP could get a Toyota Avalon and when their equivalent of a B service is due, it will only be $100.00 or whatever. I'm sorry, but I believe that you take your $100K+ luxury car in for service, whenever the gizmo tells you the service is due. These are incredibly complicated cars and are always in need of a good massage. In addition to keeping the car in tip top condition, it's like throwing a bone to the SA and the dealership. Then, when I need a favor or an accommodation, they see that I am a good, steady customer and, more often than not, I get taken care of. Plus, I get to stroll the showroom, check out the new cars, get a coffee and, if Im early enough, a cookie.
Old 07-01-2016, 11:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘19 AMG S63
Originally Posted by Streamliner
OR, the OP could get a Toyota Avalon and when their equivalent of a B service is due, it will only be $100.00 or whatever. I'm sorry, but I believe that you take your $100K+ luxury car in for service, whenever the gizmo tells you the service is due. These are incredibly complicated cars and are always in need of a good massage. In addition to keeping the car in tip top condition, it's like throwing a bone to the SA and the dealership. Then, when I need a favor or an accommodation, they see that I am a good, steady customer and, more often than not, I get taken care of. Plus, I get to stroll the showroom, check out the new cars, get a coffee and, if Im early enough, a cookie.

Personally I agree with you but not everyone looks at it like we do.

In fact, the car my teenage son drives (2000 e320 4matic with 123000 miles on it) I take to the MB dealership for service whereas many people would take it to a shop that charges 1/2 of the rates of the MB mechanics. I do this so I get top of the line service for my other MB cars like my '16 S550 4matic. In the last month I spent $2800 on repairs and new tires for my sons E and $800 for two new front tires on the '16 S due to a screw through the tire.

Spending money at the dealership for service comes around in spades when buying new cars since it appears I get some of the best discounts on new cars at my dealership but I also am loyal to my local dealer (my dealer knows I will go to other dealers from the west coast to the east coast to buy MBs if they do not treat me fair and I have done this a few times so they know I am not joking when I tell them I will shop the new MBs across the country). I really like my local dealer from the sales and service side and they treat me very fair because they make money from me and I keep coming back. I get it!
Old 07-06-2016, 12:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts
MB’s

Yes you need it! Why would you even consider skipping?
A good indi shop can do a service B for well under the amount the dealer quoted you. $600 is just silly for what little is done. Just do not skip servicing. It is there for a reason!

Last edited by C280 Sport; 07-06-2016 at 12:09 AM.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Amazing how often this question pops up and then the indy vs. dealership comparison ensues.
Just do it. First time I read an MB Operator's Manual, I was shocked at the number of times it said the warranty would be voided if I did not have maintenance performed to the standards of an MB service center (dealership).
An indy can do it, but do you trust him? What happens when something major goes wrong and your car is towed into the dealership and they deny the warranty because MBUSA denied it?
Using the dealership during warranty and getting services performed as required by manual is the same as purchasing insurance on it. Builds a relationship with the dealer that will help in the long run. I am certainly glad I did.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:52 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
14 E350; 12 Camaro; 07 Range Rocer; 06 Dodge Ram
I do my own service work, and never have any issue on warrenty repair from dealership. Keep your (just in case) receipt. The OP ask forum member how to handle schedule service on a 7k/2 years old vehicle. Here is what I would do:
Reset the service light, procedure can be found here on a search
Change the oil and filter yourself, and do your own check, check, check...
Take you car to a local quick lube change for an oil change
If you have extra cash, change the oil at MB and enjoy a cup of free coffee
Make sure you reset the service light, prior to take it to the dealership, and request for oil change only.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘19 AMG S63
Originally Posted by El Cid
Amazing how often this question pops up and then the indy vs. dealership comparison ensues.
Just do it. First time I read an MB Operator's Manual, I was shocked at the number of times it said the warranty would be voided if I did not have maintenance performed to the standards of an MB service center (dealership).
An indy can do it, but do you trust him? What happens when something major goes wrong and your car is towed into the dealership and they deny the warranty because MBUSA denied it?
Using the dealership during warranty and getting services performed as required by manual is the same as purchasing insurance on it. Builds a relationship with the dealer that will help in the long run. I am certainly glad I did.

+1

After 27000 miles on my 2000 ML 320 the motor started to fail. If you ever have an issue like this you will be glad you simply took it to the MB dealer for service since I had my vehicle serviced at the dealer they went to bat for me to finally get the motor replaced at 37000 miles. Otherwise MB corporate wanted to find all kinds of reason to deny there was a problem.

Also, MB is pretty generous on warranty issues to begin with. I have another story on my 2012 Ford F150 pickup I purchased new in 2012. With 10 miles (new at delivery) I noticed the rear window defogger did not work properly with one wire not working properly on the defogger. I thought this would be covered under warranty. Guess what? Ford screwed me and the dealer screwed me. Ford denied the warranty claim stating either I or the dealer damaged the wires in the rear window. The dealer stated I damaged the window defogger--Bull sh--! Shortly after purchasing the truck, the dealership ownership changed (wonder why). Finally just before the 36 month warranty was up the whole rear window defogger went out and Ford Motor replaced the entire rear window under warranty but I lived with the denial of warranty coverage. Bottom line--do not test the limits of the warranty coverage on your MB or you might be out of luck when you need your warranty.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:46 AM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts
Speedriven
Guys, driving a car so little usually causes more problems- not less. If only for the MPI, do the B svc.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:30 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2014 S550
Originally Posted by Speedriven1
Guys, driving a car so little usually causes more problems- not less. If only for the MPI, do the B svc.
As a guy who drives a lot of vehicles a little, I agree. Absolutely essential to park in climate controlled space that is dry in winter and cool in summer, with a battery tender. Gremlins still grow in the vehicle. Dealers can get a little odd when dealing with service on a low mileage vehicle so I've found you need to find those who will work with you to determine what is important and what is mainly just profit for the dealership. I've found that talking to the actual service guys is just as important as the manager. You get a feel in a hurry if he is concerned about your vehicle or his bottom line. Dave
The following users liked this post:
Speedriven1 (07-06-2016)
Old 07-06-2016, 12:34 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts
Speedriven
Originally Posted by beckerkumm
I've found that talking to the actual service guys is just as important as the manager. You get a feel in a hurry if he is concerned about your vehicle or his bottom line. Dave
100% this. It's a bit counter-intuitive, though. I always tell people, "Look, you may be a good guy. You may be a terrible guy. I don't care. My responsibility is to your car." you know? That's not what everyone wants to hear, but if you're driving the car so little you need to find a guy or gal that loves your car like it's their own.
Old 07-06-2016, 01:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘19 AMG S63

Cheapbrass--you still here?

You asked essentially the same question one year ago about the A service. Does any of this thread help you out?