S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Sirius traffic doesn't show on map

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S550
Sirius traffic doesn't show on map

(I had originally posted this to the audio and elec. forum; but this is probably a better forum for the question)

I have a W222 2015 S550, which came with "Complimentary 3-Year Trial – SiriusXM Traffic". For a while, it was working, as in I could see the congested and free-flowing highways in red and green. Then it stopped a few months ago. Navi works fine, but with no traffic info. The Sirius radio works fine. I have tried several Sirius refreshes, both myself online, and by calling them. I had the car at the dealer for yearly maintenance, and they checked it, and said they couldn't find anything wrong.

Has anyone had a problem like this? I am tired of the dealer telling me to call Sirius, and Sirius telling me to go to the dealer. I will force the issue with the dealer. But since they seem to be clueless, if someone on the forum has a clue, it will help if I can tell them what to fix!

Thanks,
Reza
Old 11-22-2016, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 313 Likes on 214 Posts
‘19 AMG S63
Originally Posted by rtaheri
(I had originally posted this to the audio and elec. forum; but this is probably a better forum for the question)

I have a W222 2015 S550, which came with "Complimentary 3-Year Trial – SiriusXM Traffic". For a while, it was working, as in I could see the congested and free-flowing highways in red and green. Then it stopped a few months ago. Navi works fine, but with no traffic info. The Sirius radio works fine. I have tried several Sirius refreshes, both myself online, and by calling them. I had the car at the dealer for yearly maintenance, and they checked it, and said they couldn't find anything wrong.

Has anyone had a problem like this? I am tired of the dealer telling me to call Sirius, and Sirius telling me to go to the dealer. I will force the issue with the dealer. But since they seem to be clueless, if someone on the forum has a clue, it will help if I can tell them what to fix!

Thanks,
Reza

Do you have access to SiriusXM on line? I have not had the issues you referenced. You can verify what services you have with SiriusXM. Below is what my SiriusXM account shows online on SiriusXM website for my 2016 S550 4matic:

AUDIO:
SiriusXM All Access

INFOTAINMENT:
COMPLIMENTARY 5 YEAR TRIAL:
SiriusXM Traffic
SiriusXM Traffic Link

Trial Ends: xx/xx/xxxx

I pay for the audio portion but the Infotainment piece is complimentary for 5 years on the '16 S.

I hope this helps.
Old 11-22-2016, 02:52 PM

S550
Originally Posted by MTrauman
Do you have access to SiriusXM on line? I have not had the issues you referenced. You can verify what services you have with SiriusXM.
This is what my SiruisXM page says. So it matches yours:
2015 Mercedes S550V (Create Nickname)
ESN/Radio ID: XXX

Audio:
Sirius All Access

Infotainment:
Complimentary 3-Year Trial – SiriusXM Travel Link®
Complimentary 3-Year Trial – SiriusXM Traffic
Trial Ends: 11/01/2017
Thanks,
Reza
Old 11-23-2016, 08:15 AM

Received 117 Likes on 74 Posts
2021 e All Terrain, 2001 e55
I'm not sure if this will work for you but when that happens to me I turn off the radio and turn off the car. That will reset it.

Also, sometimes I have to ask serious to refresh my signal. Once you get your phone number linked in their computer system you can either call them or go online and without any human intervention request a refresh. As long as your antenna is outside facing south it takes just a few minutes and a maximum of 15 minutes and they refresh the signal to you.
Old 11-23-2016, 02:44 PM

S550
Originally Posted by e55phil
when that happens to me I turn off the radio and turn off the car. That will reset it.

As long as your antenna is outside facing south it takes just a few minutes and a maximum of 15 minutes and they refresh the signal to you.
So, how do I "turn off the radio"? The only radio control seems to be to mute it (I have seen others ask on forums for the procedure to turn off the W222 radio)

Come to think of it, when I called Sirius, they told me to turn to channel 184, and wait for the refresh. Something didn't work, and they told me to turn the radio off and on to reset it. But again, I didn't know how to turn it off

When you leave the car out for the refresh signal, do you leave it running? I think if the car is off, the radio turns off after a few minutes, too.
Old 11-23-2016, 05:14 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
So, how do I "turn off the radio"? The only radio control seems to be to mute it (I have seen others ask on forums for the procedure to turn off the W222 radio)

Come to think of it, when I called Sirius, they told me to turn to channel 184, and wait for the refresh. Something didn't work, and they told me to turn the radio off and on to reset it. But again, I didn't know how to turn it off

When you leave the car out for the refresh signal, do you leave it running? I think if the car is off, the radio turns off after a few minutes, too.
I did it before on my last Mercedes, kind of tricky because...

Sirius only sends out that 'activation signal' for a short period of time upon request (like 10-15 minutes or so.) Missed that window, would need to call them or go to the website to request activation signal again.

What I did was... Parked my car in the open area (make sure to have clear sky view for the satellite signal.) I stayed in the car, called Sirius with my cell phone, talked to the person to request for the activation signal, while had him/her on the phone I followed the steps mentioned to let the car received the activation signal.

It took me a couple trials, but eventually I got it done.

Best luck,

(P.S. I think by turning off Command, it would also serve the function of 'turn off the radio' for the Sirius refresh signal purpose.)
Old 11-26-2016, 04:41 PM

S550
This seems to have been a long-standing problem. Check out these forum threads:
https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...t-anymore.html
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w221...re-update.html (start from page 4 and work back to page 1)

One thing stands out in several of these posts: two different ESNs for radio and navi. Does anyone know if that's the case for the 2015 W222? On my car, I see the same ESN for radio and navi.

Thanks,
Reza
Old 11-27-2016, 12:58 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,417 Likes on 3,146 Posts
'71 Pinto
deleted

Last edited by konigstiger; 11-27-2016 at 01:08 PM.
Old 11-27-2016, 01:06 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,417 Likes on 3,146 Posts
'71 Pinto
I am tired of the dealer telling me to call Sirius, and Sirius telling me to go to the dealer.
How about MB direct 1-800-367-6372
Old 01-13-2017, 03:15 PM

S550
Conclusion to the story: spent time with MB Customer Care and Sirius (even both on the phone at the same time), but couldn't fix it. The fault signature is that you cannot tune into channel 184 even after refreshing the signal.

I brought it to the dealer since the car was still under warranty. They went through a troubleshooting exercise that brought a smile to my face as it was very much like how I debug an ailing computer system. They refreshed the Sirius signal, then forced a hard reset, then upgraded the software, then replaced the antenna, then had Sirius engineers come on site for troubleshooting. They eventually replaced the radio, and that's when it started working. I got the car back after 4 days

It is possible that the radio wasn't really broken, but replacing it helped clear up some setting that had gotten wedged.

Thanks for all the advice,
Reza
Old 01-13-2017, 04:31 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Glad to hear the problem is resolved.