Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

SL65 parts install and tuning ECU/TCU. Where?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 05:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Mercedes SL 65 AMG
Question SL65 parts install and tuning ECU/TCU. Where?

Hello everyone, I've finally gotten all the parts I wanted in and now it's time for the last step, installation and tuning. I have been in contact with Jo at Speedriven with questions and have been impressed with their timely responses and help. I also like the fact that they've spent time specifically developing parts for the V12 engine. Eurocharged is another option, but I emailed them with a question about a week ago and still haven't heard back. They also seem to have focused more of their efforts on the supercharged V8. Neither of those are a deal breaker necessarily. Renntech is another option, but must frankly admit that their pricing pisses me off. Their tune prices aren't as bad as their part prices, but I can only guess at their install prices. There are also other tuning companies I see posting on the forum, but don't know about their installation capabilities. They are more than welcome to chime in.

I'd like to hear from anyone that would like to share their experiences if they've had any of the companies work on their car. Opinions about their tunes is also welcome, both ecu and tcu. More power is great, but so is drivability, smoothness, throttle response, etc. Does anyone have experience with more than one of the companies?

Parts to be installed:
Meziere Water Pump
Speedriven Intercoolers/intake
Kincaid Performance Killer Chiller
Weistec trunk tank
Dual Zeitronix Zt-2's with nDash for dual wideband 02 and MAP sensor
*Speedriven downpipes with extra bung on each for wideband O2 sensors
*Speedriven Billet BOV's
*= not in possession as, if I have Speedriven install, I'd pick up there.

Thanks in advance for everyone's input,
Leland
Old 11-01-2015, 09:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
2006 E55
Where are you located?
Working with a local shop is always recommended. This is a BIG install. The potential for issues, even with a world class facility, are nearly inevitable. It will more than likely take some time to get everything dialed in, and that's much easier if the shop that did the work is local.
If you ship your car somewhere, and then run into issues, most local shops won't touch it.
Speedriven doesn't return emails or phone calls quickly because they are always in the shop

Also, why not upgrade the turbos while your doing all this? In for a penny, in for a pound

GL!
Old 11-01-2015, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Mercedes SL 65 AMG
Ha, I wish I could afford the turbo upgrade and it's install right now. However, I imagine that would be well over what I already have in parts and their upcoming install. Hopefully one day, but I'm (and my pocketbook) are just as hopeful that this setup will be enough for a good while. You do have me thinking of maybe just staying stock and picking up or budgeting for the turbos. It's tough seeing all these boxes sitting around and it would likely be years before I'd be able to do that full install.

I wish I was close to someone that could handle it. Possibly the hardware, but certainly no tuners. I'm in Mississippi, so... ��
-Leland