Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
W220 S65 AMG
Arrow Active Body Control - The Rodeo

If you've never seen it in action...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xkRvV2iWZZw

Enjoy.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What the heck are you doing? Funny though.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 S65 AMG
Originally Posted by kenstudios
What the heck are you doing? Funny though.
ABC Filters + Pentosin Fluid + Complete Line/Valve Block inspection. Have to do the rodeo 2 times in 15 minute sessions after each session the filters are changed. This insures the system is free of contaminants.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:49 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 S500 Sport
haha seen this b4. Rodeo can be done on Air-Matic too right?
Old 10-27-2008, 11:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW E39
Originally Posted by Gondon
haha seen this b4. Rodeo can be done on Air-Matic too right?
Don't know how we would do it with a single rear sensor.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:07 PM

2005 S500 4Matic
Is that video reflecting the original speed, or is it sped up?

Well, for Airmatic, it is not acting fast enough to look like that, besides the problem of the single rear sensor.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 S65 AMG
Originally Posted by Dino I
Is that video reflecting the original speed, or is it sped up?

Well, for Airmatic, it is not acting fast enough to look like that, besides the problem of the single rear sensor.
The video is original right off the camera... I think it would be funny to speed it up, I'm going to try that later on.

I don't know if you can do the rodeo with Airmatc, I'm not sure what the purpose would be... with ABC the rodeo is used to cycle all of the fluid through the entire system.

ABC is pressurized to ~190bar when the engine is running, which is about 2750psi. With this kind of pressure, the shocks are able to move up and down at high speed.

This kind of pressure generates lots of heat, so the car has a dedicated heat-exchanger in front of the radiator just to cool the ABC fluid.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:29 PM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
2001 Mercedes CL500 2006 E350 4-matic
Originally Posted by Oxygen
ABC Filters + Pentosin Fluid + Complete Line/Valve Block inspection. Have to do the rodeo 2 times in 15 minute sessions after each session the filters are changed. This insures the system is free of contaminants.
At what mileage intervals should this be done, as preventive mainteance? I hate to have to replace the pump again...
Old 11-01-2008, 01:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
E90 N54 & W251
Hey Oxygen,
How did the valve block inspection turn out? Were you experiencing any symptoms like a slow drop after a few days?

You're going about it the right way by filtering the fluid. I've been curious though if this procedure has actually resolved any suspension dropping issues for anyone. It's the advised first step before replacing the valve block, but has it ever worked for anyone?

At a very least it's preventative maintenance which is why I did it and prob everyone else should as well.

Nice whip BTW.
Old 11-01-2008, 02:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 S65 AMG
Originally Posted by ~CL500~
Hey Oxygen,
How did the valve block inspection turn out? Were you experiencing any symptoms like a slow drop after a few days?

You're going about it the right way by filtering the fluid. I've been curious though if this procedure has actually resolved any suspension dropping issues for anyone. It's the advised first step before replacing the valve block, but has it ever worked for anyone?

At a very least it's preventative maintenance which is why I did it and prob everyone else should as well.

Nice whip BTW.
Thanks!

I checked out all of the high-pressure lines as well as the valve blocks. Everything was clean except for one of the lines by the steering rack, but I'm not 100% positive if it's for the ABC system or for power steering. It took a while to figure out, because there was fluid on the hose and on the plastic paneling, but could not figure out where it was coming from.

After thinning out the fluid on the hose, it actually looks like it's leaking out VERY slowly from within the inside of the hose.. if that makes sense?

Like I said I need to get the car on the lift and check out the hose again, if its still leaking I will have to replace it. But I need to figure out if it's for ABC or Power Steering. As you know, both ABC and power steering are driven by the same system.

The reason I did the inspection, the fluid, the filter and the rodeo was no because of any sinking suspension issues.

I had a red ABC message come on the other night that told me to drive carefully... I hooked up STAR and the codes were for low system pressure. I checked the ABC fluid and it was way below the MINIMUM mark on the dipstick, so I figured it's leaked out of the hose over time.

I replaced the fluid and checked all the hoses, replaced the filter and cycled the fluid using the rodeo.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:35 PM

E90 N54 & W251
Thanks!

I checked out all of the high-pressure lines as well as the valve blocks. Everything was clean except for one of the lines by the steering rack, but I'm not 100% positive if it's for the ABC system or for power steering. It took a while to figure out, because there was fluid on the hose and on the plastic paneling, but could not figure out where it was coming from.

After thinning out the fluid on the hose, it actually looks like it's leaking out VERY slowly from within the inside of the hose.. if that makes sense?

Like I said I need to get the car on the lift and check out the hose again, if its still leaking I will have to replace it. But I need to figure out if it's for ABC or Power Steering. As you know, both ABC and power steering are driven by the same system.

The reason I did the inspection, the fluid, the filter and the rodeo was no because of any sinking suspension issues.

I had a red ABC message come on the other night that told me to drive carefully... I hooked up STAR and the codes were for low system pressure. I checked the ABC fluid and it was way below the MINIMUM mark on the dipstick, so I figured it's leaked out of the hose over time.

I replaced the fluid and checked all the hoses, replaced the filter and cycled the fluid using the rodeo.

Now that's what i'm talkin bout. Good troubleshooting man

If you have WIS, do a keyword search on ABC and select all checkmarks to the right to show all documents. I stumbled onto a really good diagram that showed the fluid flows and all the components of the ABC, including hoses, etc. I'm gonna try to dig it up again and post. It really helps for identification. I used it when I did my tranny fluid. The high pressure hose runs right by the tranny to the main high pressure valve block and damper. No leaks so I was fairly happy. It'll sag after a few days in the rear though. After a week, it's like a 49 mercury lowrider. The front is SOLID though. If it gets worst, I'm gonna replace the rear valve block.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:56 PM

E90 N54 & W251
ABC Diagrams

See attachments.

The visual makes all the difference! It's kind humbling too when you see the complexity of this system. A true engineering marvel.
Attached Thumbnails Active Body Control - The Rodeo-abc-hydraulic-components.jpg   Active Body Control - The Rodeo-abc-pressure-supply.jpg   Active Body Control - The Rodeo-abc-electronics.jpg  

Last edited by ~CL500~; 11-01-2008 at 06:10 PM.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:21 AM

CL
Arrow Active Body Control and Power Steering Problem... Please help if possible. Thank You

Hi Oxygen,

I am glad I found your post. I am not sure if you or anyone can help me at all, but I have been having a problem with my ABC and as of last week a power steering problem!

1.) The ABC problem happens every time I start the car, but if I turn the car off and back on again the cars ABC problem disappears for the drive. I have been driving like this for over a year now if you can believe it. I had it checked out and they told me at the dealership (stealership) it would be $1200 bux for right front control valve... well someone else has made it clear its not the front right... its just the front or the rear control valve that controls the system. Anyways that is not going to happen I would rather just turn the car on and off to make it right, but would like to correct problem if I can figure out which part to buy or if it might just be low on ABC fluid/need filter and or possible it just needs more air/psi in the lines or something that I can do here.

2. The main problem where assistance is really needed asap is the power steering and or rack and pinion...
I can start the car and steer the car and drive it for a few miles before it starts making a noise, but when I turn the wheel it will make a squealing sound and it spits out a bit of fluid on the overflow.

So it doesn't seem to be leaking, but just coming out overflow and squealing to be right to the point!

PS: I can post a video if it will help

Thank You

Keith.

Thanks!

Last edited by BullOnWallSt; 11-18-2008 at 08:47 AM.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:46 AM

CL
power steering & active body control ABC problem... Any help would be great

Hi Oxygen,

I am glad I found your post. I am not sure if you or anyone can help me at all, but I have been having a problem with my ABC and as of last week a power steering problem!

1.) The ABC problem happens every time I start the car, but if I turn the car off and back on again the cars ABC problem disappears for the drive. I have been driving like this for over a year now if you can believe it. I had it checked out and they told me at the dealership (stealership) it would be $1200 bux for right front control valve... well someone else has made it clear its not the front right... its just the front or the rear control valve that controls the system. Anyways that is not going to happen I would rather just turn the car on and off to make it right, but would like to correct problem if I can figure out which part to buy or if it might just be low on ABC fluid/need filter and or possible it just needs more air/psi in the lines or something that I can do here.

2. The main problem where assistance is really needed asap is the power steering and or rack and pinion...
I can start the car and steer the car and drive it for a few miles before it starts making a noise, but when I turn the wheel it will make a squealing sound and it spits out a bit of fluid on the overflow.

So it doesn't seem to be leaking, but just coming out overflow and squealing to be right to the point!

Old 11-18-2008, 02:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 S65 AMG
Originally Posted by BullOnWallSt
Hi Oxygen,

I don't know... that sounds really strange. It's probably full of codes for the suspension but hard to tell from here.

How does your ABC pump sound? Does it sound like **** or can you not even hear it?
Old 11-18-2008, 03:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Oxygen,

Yes, post a video, with ABC you have a tandem pump - ABC/Power Steering.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:43 PM

W220 S600, W203 220CDI, W109 3.5 V8
How does your ABC pump sound? Does it sound like **** or can you not even hear it?
Sorry for derailing this thread but I would like to know how should the ABC pump sound? I'm asking because for the last two days, when I enter the car (before starting it) I hear a sound behind the center console (like an electro-motor running, or something similar). Maybe it was there before but I didn't notice it.

And today (for the frist time since I have it) I had the "ABC car low" message (and the front left part was "down to the ground") but when I started the car it raised up and all was fine...
Old 11-18-2008, 04:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 S65 AMG
Originally Posted by Prinz Eugen
Sorry for derailing this thread but I would like to know how should the ABC pump sound? I'm asking because for the last two days, when I enter the car (before starting it) I hear a sound behind the center console (like an electro-motor running, or something similar). Maybe it was there before but I didn't notice it.

And today (for the frist time since I have it) I had the "ABC car low" message (and the front left part was "down to the ground") but when I started the car it raised up and all was fine...
The pump is belt driven by the engine. You should hear a clunking sound if it's failing. I don't think you could hear it inside.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:18 PM

W220 S600, W203 220CDI, W109 3.5 V8
Now that's one good news . Just hope todays ABC problem is also nothing serious (too expensive) ....

Thanks for the info
Old 11-18-2008, 05:52 PM

CL
well i went and tried to make a video, but the sound that was happening was not happening when I was turning the power steering during the making of the video???

There is no longer fluid coming out of the dipstick or overflow hole in the dipstick anymore, but the sounds did still happen when I just drove the car home...

I wonder if I fix the ABC problem, the sound might go away? I am kinda confused on this one?
Old 11-18-2008, 07:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 S65 AMG
I wonder if I fix the ABC problem, the sound might go away? I am kinda confused on this one?
Well yeah um, ABC can be quite confusing it's a very complex system.

If you're talking about the ABC fluid dipstick, here's a few things you must know:

1. CLEAN UP ALL DIRT/DUST around the cap and the reservoir. Even the tiniest dirt particles will cause serious damage to the ABC system.
2. Engine must be off, let the car sit for 5 minutes or until the ABC pressure drops (STAR)
3. Pull the dipstick, clean and dip again. Level must be between the two notches.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:18 PM

CL
Steering Problem now at the Grand Blanc Motors in MI

I took the car in this morning... When I took the car in the steering problem was gone, but I figure if there is something wrong they will find out... Figure 110 bucks plus my 50 bux off with a card they send me in the mail isn't to bad to just see what the heck is going on.

I had them look up my visit for the Active Body Control and they told me the Front Axle Control Valve at the cost of 780 bux is what I need? Is this the same as the front axle valve unit which is on the diagram of the ABC? Also is there a good place online to buy this unit or controller?

Thanks Again

I will have a update later today or in the morning on the Steering Problem

Keith
Old 11-19-2008, 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 S65 AMG
I took the car in this morning... When I took the car in the steering problem was gone, but I figure if there is something wrong they will find out... Figure 110 bucks plus my 50 bux off with a card they send me in the mail isn't to bad to just see what the heck is going on.

I had them look up my visit for the Active Body Control and they told me the Front Axle Control Valve at the cost of 780 bux is what I need? Is this the same as the front axle valve unit which is on the diagram of the ABC? Also is there a good place online to buy this unit or controller?
That's pretty cheap...

Here is what I see as far as pricing for the ABC Valve block for a CL:

2203200358 VALVE 140000 112000 $1,120.00
Old 11-19-2008, 01:51 PM

CL
That's pretty cheap...

Here is what I see as far as pricing for the ABC Valve block for a CL:

2203200358 VALVE 140000 112000 $1,120.00
wow, that is crazy... They wanted to charge me 1200 total parts and labor... They told me 780 bux so I might want to take it unless I can find a used part off a crashed CL or something... What site was that part for 1200 on?
Old 11-19-2008, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 S65 AMG
wow, that is crazy... They wanted to charge me 1200 total parts and labor... They told me 780 bux so I might want to take it unless I can find a used part off a crashed CL or something... What site was that part for 1200 on?
That's dealership pricing. $1,400 walk-in and $1,120 for wholesale pricing. I don't understand how they can get you a unit so cheap unless it's refurbished?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Active Body Control - The Rodeo