S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Need help removing fuel sending unit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 Mercedes S430
Need help removing fuel sending unit

Hi gals and gurls, this is my first question so I'm not really sure of the rules. I hope I'm posting correctly. Anyway... My gas gauge was stuck at 3/4 full for a week. I then filled up at shell and the gauge dropped to empty. I figured the sending unit was dirty so I used chevron fuel cleaner and cleaned the unit wiring harnesses. After two days the fuel gauge shot back up to full and has stayed there ever since. I've searched all over the Internet about replacing the fuel sending unit. The directions are pretty straight forward except how to remove the white plastic cap on the gas tank. I removed the two wire harnesses and tried to turn the cap with no luck. Anyone know how to get this thing off? Has anyone has the full to empty back to full issue resolved? Sorry if this has been asked before. Thanks for your time.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
2003 S500 - Toyota Corolla (in the rain)
Welcome to the forum.

If it were me the first thing I would do is disconnect the battery. Since you are dealing with gasoline you don't want any kind sparks flying around. Also, I would certainly do this outside in the open air and not in my garage.

Hopefully this link will help you:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...eplacement.htm
Old 09-22-2013, 09:41 AM

2000 Mercedes S430
Originally Posted by ibeforreal
Welcome to the forum.

If it were me the first thing I would do is disconnect the battery. Since you are dealing with gasoline you don't want any kind sparks flying around. Also, I would certainly do this outside in the open air and not in my garage.

Hopefully this link will help you:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...eplacement.htm
Thank you very much, I was able to remove the bayonet lock with a large pair of channel locks. I pulled the sending unit and it was clean, no corrosion on the circuit panel. It actually looked new. Is there a way to test it? Also could the sender unit be an issue with a SAM? Thanks you in advance.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Read through this thread and it may provide you with some additional information.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r-c1...el-sender.html
Old 09-08-2014, 10:42 PM

03 mercedes s430
mercedes s430 03

ok i had two thing going with my car at the sme time,,one it lost accelerator power but would pick up speed after you put foot way down to the floor which was dangerious try to speed off nto traffic after reading some post thank you guy that all posted , my problem was the acceleraror pedal which got from partsgreek and it took like ten min to change out.and the second thing was my fuel gage was drifting fast after a full tank of gas ,i knew gas was in there but when it got down to the empty my engine come on,,and started to shut off again i read the post thank again guys,it was the fuel sending unit , which is located behind the seat ,open the trunk and take out the liner , replace it and it shot right up , i knew it was fix cause it went pass 3/4 tank before it was full,hope this help out , i do have other issue but im just relief it done, it not hard to change out i figure i can do it anybody can take a shot at it
Old 09-12-2014, 07:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S430
here is a tool that you can built easily to remove the fuel level sending unit. It worked perfectly on my 2000 S430. Make sure the distance of the two nails is correct.

The following users liked this post:
Rito briseno (03-12-2021)
Old 09-12-2014, 08:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Love the ingenuity.