S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

soft close,power locks w220 s500 2003

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 c230
soft close,power locks w220 s500 2003

w220 s500 2003 the drivers door was not doing soft close or locking.....making hissing noise ..all other doors working fine
so I got a another lock actuator to replace the one in the drivers door...
now that I got the drivers lock in...nothing works...no other doors locks or unlock, soft close stopped working on other doors and trunk does not assist close .....now I can not even close the truck manually....any way before taking the pump out I read the trouble codes and it says "The safety time has been exceeded for the following pneumatic branch" (trunk,drivers door,passengers door,left rear ,right rear)
it says they are all current..
(I tried to use the scanner to active some of the components its does the same thing the pump works for few seconds and shuts off)
basically Trouble codes for all doors and locks and trunk about 9 codes I tried to erase the code it will not allow me ...is says other problems you can not erase codes.
I pulled the fused for over nite...and disconnected the battery over nite...no difference.. ..when I press the remote key or latch the door or trunk, pump works for about 4 seconds then shuts off.
I took the pump out no signs or burns or bubbles anywhere...actually unit looks very new...still same issue when I put the pump/unit back
.any advise is appreciated!
Old 02-09-2016, 04:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 S430 4matic, 2014 Audi A4
Dealer vist?
Old 02-09-2016, 05:22 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2005 S55 AMG, 2005 S500
Did you check if fuse is burnt?
I replaced the door actuator last week on front driver side. But I removed the fuse until the actuator replaced to prevent from possible further damage. When fuse was removed, none of them worked.
Old 02-09-2016, 05:51 PM

2003 c230
Originally Posted by bigmyself
Did you check if fuse is burnt?
I replaced the door actuator last week on front driver side. But I removed the fuse until the actuator replaced to prevent from possible further damage. When fuse was removed, none of them worked.

Yes I checked the fuse, when fuse is out the pump does not come on at all
right now pump comes on for few seconds and shuts off....to me seems like software issue(since everything else was working..80k on car),,,when I took the pump out I could feel the pressure and vacuum from the two small hoses that go to the pump....some how it has gone into limp mode and since I can not clear the codes, its just stuck in limp mode, and needs to be reset to zero memory and re-coded again.
and from what I know if there is a trouble code in any module it would not allow it to be coded
I could be wrong maybe some one with shim in and correct me.
some how the module needs to be cleared before I can do anything else.
beside cutting power or using scan tool I have no idea how to clear the codes any other way.

does anyone know if the PSE module connects to any other module for communication that could cause this?

Last edited by kian123; 02-09-2016 at 06:08 PM.
Old 02-09-2016, 06:42 PM

2005 S55 AMG, 2005 S500
You may be right. I own the new version of icarsoft. Few months ago I had the speed sensor error and replaced. But I was still not able to delete error code even with icarsoft tech supppot. So, I had to go to local MB dealer and had them delete using their star system. They said error code stuck into the system.
After that I purchased star system.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:15 PM

2003 c230
Originally Posted by bigmyself
You may be right. I own the new version of icarsoft. Few months ago I had the speed sensor error and replaced. But I was still not able to delete error code even with icarsoft tech supppot. So, I had to go to local MB dealer and had them delete using their star system. They said error code stuck into the system.
After that I purchased star system.
Thanks for your reply
I think I left the trunk and hood and drivers door open for too long(few days) some how the ATA (Anti-Theft Alarm) some how signaled or put PSE into limp mode since PSE gets command to lock and unlock doors...that might be why it will not erase cods and says other problems..I will check tomorrow..
then again I might need the star system if thats not it...where did u get it from? cost?
Old 02-10-2016, 08:31 AM

2005 S55 AMG, 2005 S500
I got mine from ebay. There are many sellers. Search 'Mercedes SD Connect C4'
Old 02-10-2016, 12:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 129 Posts
not a merc
Fix the air leaks and clear the faults. The faults will always cancel with the right tools. What diagnostic equipment are u using ? Air demand too high is simply an air leak. The pse does not reach the threshold vacuum or pressure to switch off. So it runs on and switches off after a timed period and a fault is logged.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:25 PM

2003 c230
Originally Posted by Russell Ormerod
Fix the air leaks and clear the faults. The faults will always cancel with the right tools. What diagnostic equipment are u using ? Air demand too high is simply an air leak. The pse does not reach the threshold vacuum or pressure to switch off. So it runs on and switches off after a timed period and a fault is logged.

autel 908 for scanner
Old 02-10-2016, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

not a merc
Nah. Put it on star. It will clear everything
Old 02-10-2016, 11:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
2003 S500 - Toyota Corolla (in the rain)
When you reconnected your battery did you go through the resync process?
Old 02-11-2016, 06:51 AM

2003 c230
Originally Posted by ibeforreal
I do not know what the resync process is ....please advise
Thanks,
Old 02-11-2016, 07:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

not a merc
No Resync needed. Just clear the faults
Old 02-11-2016, 08:34 AM

Received 92 Likes on 77 Posts
2013 S550 4MATIC
Don't think re-sync will help with the soft close. More of the warnings, sunroof and windows. He needs to clear those codes via Das and take it from there...
Old 02-11-2016, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If he disconnected the battery then the resync needs to be done. Start the car, turn the steering wheel lock to lock. Roll each window down until you hear a click and roll it back up. Do the same thing with the sunroof.

Turn the car off, Now turn the key to position 2 (just before starting). Push the accelerator all the way to the floor while the key is in position 2 and hold it there for about 15 seconds. With foot still on the accelerator turn the car off. Now take your foot off the accelerator and start the car normally.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:07 PM

2013 S550 4MATIC
If he disconnected the battery then the resync needs to be done. Start the car, turn the steering wheel lock to lock. Roll each window down until you hear a click and roll it back up. Do the same thing with the sunroof.

Turn the car off, Now turn the key to position 2 (just before starting). Push the accelerator all the way to the floor while the key is in position 2 and hold it there for about 15 seconds. With foot still on the accelerator turn the car off. Now take your foot off the accelerator and start the car normally.
What's all that above has to do with the soft close
Old 02-11-2016, 11:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The purpose of the rysync is to eliminate those codes from the windows and sunroof. The TCM reset (accelerator to the floor) might also clear up his limp mode problem. It has nothing to do with the soft close. Whenever you disconnet the battery you are suppose to go through this procedure. Read the START HERE SECTION section at the top of this forum.
Old 02-12-2016, 12:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

not a merc
I wonder who sucked that "press accelerator to floor procedure" out there thumb and posted it here for everyone to believe. Such hogwash!
Old 02-12-2016, 07:09 AM

2013 S550 4MATIC
The purpose of the rysync is to eliminate those codes from the windows and sunroof. The TCM reset (accelerator to the floor) might also clear up his limp mode problem. It has nothing to do with the soft close. Whenever you disconnet the battery you are suppose to go through this procedure. Read the START HERE SECTION section at the top of this forum.
I have read START HERE SECTION plenty of times I do agree on resyncing once the battery is disconnected/replaced however the point I am trying to make here and that you are not seeing is, RESYNC HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE OP'S SOFT CLOSE PROBLEM. Just like Russell says, he needs to clear his codes via Das.
Old 02-12-2016, 07:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

not a merc
Yep Resync will not help you at all with your PSE problem
Old 02-12-2016, 12:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Gentlemen, I understand that the rysync has nothing to do with soft close or the PSE pump. However, when i asked him if he had gone through the resync after disconnecting the batter he stated that he didn't know what a resync was.

Now if it were me i would research the 9 codes he mentioned before trying to clear them with STAR. If he does clear them with STAR and they aren't resolved they will only come back.
Old 02-12-2016, 02:49 PM

2003 c230
Gentlemen, I understand that the rysync has nothing to do with soft close or the PSE pump. However, when i asked him if he had gone through the resync after disconnecting the batter he stated that he didn't know what a resync was.

Now if it were me i would research the 9 codes he mentioned before trying to clear them with STAR. If he does clear them with STAR and they aren't resolved they will only come back.

the issue is not just soft close the door lock stopped working as ..when I press the unlock/lock on the remote it does the same thing, pump make noise
then shuts off....I only took apart the drivers door panel nothing else,
and all other doors soft close and lock was working fine before I took the drivers door apart....the only thing is that I left the trunk and hood, drivers door open for few days...I had other things to do while the car sat in garage....
I know its a software issue ...how could I get problems with all other 3 doors and trunk all of a sudden with the car in garage not being used...
Dtc (The safety time has been exceeded for the following pneumatic branch...)
safety time I don't know if (me leaving things open for too long) some how
triggard something with the alarm and shutting the PSE off.(which has to do with locks)

Old 02-12-2016, 04:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

not a merc
No! When you get a fault about safety time being exceeded it means that when the pump ran to carry out a lock or unlock Function the threshold (mbar) pressure was not reached within the required time allowed by the pse pump. So a fault is logged. "BRANCH " means the vacuum branch in your case "zv" branch for the doors and boot. Pse has different branches Hence different pipes on the pump. Take your Door panel off again or check with a vacuum gauge if you don't have a leak to that door you worked on. I can assure you it has nothing to do with leaving a door open for days or even years. Your only software issue is with your diagnostic tester. DAS will clear safety time exceeded codes.
Old 02-12-2016, 04:16 PM

2003 c230
Originally Posted by Russell Ormerod
No! When you get a fault about safety time being exceeded it means that when the pump ran to carry out a lock or unlock Function the threshold (mbar) pressure was not reached within the required time allowed by the pse pump. So a fault is logged. "BRANCH " means the vacuum branch in your case "zv" branch for the doors and boot. Pse has different branches Hence different pipes on the pump. Take your Door panel off again or check with a vacuum gauge if you don't have a leak to that door you worked on. I can assure you it has nothing to do with leaving a door open for days or even years. Your only software issue is with your diagnostic tester. DAS will clear safety time exceeded codes.

oh ok good to know
here is what is throwing me off is that since the PSE has little valve body and with electronic solenoids ,,,,,if it sees a leak for a particular door/lock
why its not just cutting power to that door and shutting everything off..
is mine having extra problems or that's how they are, they shut the whole system down?

I dont know what I could have done to get 9 codes or put system into limp mode by just disconnecting one door ...anyway the drivers door actuator had the spring and plunger bottom just hanging down(broken) thats why I was hearing the hissing noise.
I have reopened the door and rechecked the wiring and vacuum/pressure line all look good.
Old 02-12-2016, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

not a merc
As far as I can remember the w220 has only one vacuum line per door? Correct me if I am wrong. Unlike w140 which runs a separate pump for closing assist. So if that one pipe has a leak it will affect both central locking and closing assist. And yes pse will not only shut down one door it will shut down the complete function of central locking. I am afraid your only bet is Das to clear those codes. If I was working on that car my first step would be to clear the faults. The pump will run again and see what faults return.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: soft close,power locks w220 s500 2003