S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

2003 Mercedes S600 Will NOT Start or do anything!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 01:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz S600
2003 Mercedes S600 Will NOT Start or do anything!

Hello,
I recently purchased a 2003 Mercedes Benz s600 with 80k and cosmetically in beautiful condition, I haven't even put 50 miles on the car and I went out to drive it today and the key didn't open the doors, didn't unlock, didn't do anything, so I thought maybe the key battery was dead--however, when I went to open the door with the small manual key, none of the lights work inside, or headlights. I put the key that has the buttons on it in the ignition and it wont turn or do anything, I can't even get it into the "on" position (where radio turns on, etc) to put it into neutural. It is literally doing NOTHING! I am so stressed out about this! I never make major purchases and everything checked out on this car, but obviously not--Please help me and save me from these panic attacks!

I have not tested the battery or anything, since I figured if it was the battery, I would be able to atleast turn the key into the "ON" position 1?

With sadness,
Mandee
Old 07-09-2016, 01:39 AM

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
S55 AMG
Dead battery.

Do not try jump starting it, as it would just cause more problems. Go have the battery charged (or replaced if it's gone bad) then see what happens from there.
The following users liked this post:
S600Benz (07-09-2016)
Old 07-09-2016, 01:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz S600
Alex,
Thank you for your reply, I am going to get a new battery sometime in the next few days--however, do I need to have a stealership do it due to all of the power options and electronics? I am not used to vehicles like this, as I am usually driving very simple cars with not even power windows--All new to me!
Old 07-09-2016, 01:59 AM

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
S55 AMG
You do not need to have the stealership install it for you. If you get a new battery from autozone, pep boys, etc., they can install it for you for no charge I believe. Also, congrats on the purchase! The S600 is a crazy car. It has a lot of weak points in terms of reliability but it is amazing when properly maintained and running. Good luck, and get ready for a wild journey!
Old 07-09-2016, 03:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 328 Likes on 265 Posts
2006 S600
Originally Posted by AlexMercedes
If you get a new battery from autozone, pep boys, etc., they can install it for you for no charge I believe.
Don't you need to have the car running to do that?

You definitely don't need a dealer, and there are two DIY options:
  1. Buy a new battery and fit it yourself. Just make sure all the doors are unlocked.
  2. Buy a battery charger and re-charge your existing battery. Just make sure to keep the ignition off (sounds dumb, I know).
Batteries go flat for a reason, and you really need to tackle the reason, which may or may not be a bad battery. If you get a charger, you can find out if that's the case (and you'll probably need one anyway if you don't already have one). W220's are heavy on their batteries from some reason.

Nick
Old 07-09-2016, 07:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
You can't take your car to aiutozone because it doesn't run

When these cars get a dead battery you can't turn the ignition key

If you have AAA they have a mobile battery installation service . Mercedes roadside assistance also has mobile battery installation , call them 1800formercedes. In the past there were no extra labor charges for mobile battery installation. You only paid for the battery , but that may have changed. The Mercedes oem battery is the best battery for this car .

If you have a battery drain that is a separate problem but first lets get a new fresh battery in there to determine you have a good strong battery then we can see if other issues exist