S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

backup camera retrofit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S550
Arrow backup camera retrofit

I have a base 2007 s550 is it possible to retrofit a backup camera through command .. Dealer said not its not possible .. And one member here said yes it's possible ..can you guys help . Would this work .

http://www.midcityengineering.com/vi...-motion/vim221

How can I tell if my car is wired for it . And is it possible. Thx guys
Old 07-21-2013, 03:38 PM

S550
it is doable. i am going through the same retrofit. I have a midcity VIM module without the rear camera. I have spoke to them and they can program mine to be able to do it. The hardest part is running the wires and isntalling the camera. other than that, it took me 20 min to install the module.

Installing the camera is a different story. i think that would take a couple of hours to run, hide and install the camera on the trunk.

good luck with your mod.

-mike
Old 07-22-2013, 02:59 PM

2017 E300
Carters550:

Yes it's doable. Most MB dealers won't do it. But most of their Service Advisors can direct you where to go -OR- drive around any car stereo installation shops..they're usually good at it.There's alot of them here in L.A. and in North Hollywood, CA.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:12 PM

S550
Originally Posted by mikel at
it is doable. i am going through the same retrofit. I have a midcity VIM module without the rear camera. I have spoke to them and they can program mine to be able to do it. The hardest part is running the wires and isntalling the camera. other than that, it took me 20 min to install the module.

Installing the camera is a different story. i think that would take a couple of hours to run, hide and install the camera on the trunk.

good luck with your mod.

-mike

Thank you very much for the info .. So do they have the camera , can you use any after market camera ...as far as the camera would it hooks up to the command or to the midcity module . Would the module have the active camera lines like the oem .. Or is module designed just to introduce another general video input like navtv .. Thx for the help
Old 07-22-2013, 10:14 PM

S550
Originally Posted by Tukmolly
Carters550:

Yes it's doable. Most MB dealers won't do it. But most of their Service Advisors can direct you where to go -OR- drive around any car stereo installation shops..they're usually good at it.There's alot of them here in L.A. and in North Hollywood, CA.
I did check them out ,but no one had a clear answer . do you have a shop you recommend ... Do u think command programing is required as well ..thx a bunch
Old 07-27-2013, 11:51 AM

S550
Originally Posted by mysecondbenz
i have purchased one from ***************** it gives me VIM and activates camera input, easy to install. camera routing tool like 5 hours
Did you use the oem camera or any camera ...do you mean to route the cable from front to back it took you 5 hrs ..was there any cutting of wires .. .did you check the midcity engineering option ..or you opted out for *******. Thx
Old 07-27-2013, 07:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 S63, 1999 S500
It's easy to do, DIY... but $700 module from Mid City, comes with camera and all instructions.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:27 AM

S550
Originally Posted by mysecondbenz
$700 is a bit expensive
If you don't mind sharing how much the whole setup cost you .. And how difficult was it to install ....is it worth it ...
Old 07-29-2013, 11:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 S63, 1999 S500
Originally Posted by Carters550
If you don't mind sharing how much the whole setup cost you .. And how difficult was it to install ....is it worth it ...
Well... If you never took out interior trims before, I suggest to go sound/alarms shop to install camera for you. the hardest part is to run video feed to CD player, took me a day. I actually was more interested in video in motion, camera was added bonus. The module will activate command's internal feature, so it will have lines overlay exactly as stock camera, dealer would never guess its aftermarket. Plus the camera is low ambient type, much more better than stoc

www . midcityengineering . com
The following users liked this post:
Kwarior (06-15-2020)
Old 08-18-2016, 09:12 PM

09 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by wstasw@aol.com
Well... If you never took out interior trims before, I suggest to go sound/alarms shop to install camera for you. the hardest part is to run video feed to CD player, took me a day. I actually was more interested in video in motion, camera was added bonus. The module will activate command's internal feature, so it will have lines overlay exactly as stock camera, dealer would never guess its aftermarket. Plus the camera is low ambient type, much more better than stock

www . midcityengineering . com
Thanks,
Just ordered mine from Mid-City. Gonna be installing it as soon as it gets here. Not a bad product for 500 bucks. Thinkin about getting the remote starter next.
Old 08-30-2017, 08:02 PM

2013 Mercedes Benz 2550
Where is the alarm on 2013 Benz S550

I just got a 2013 S550 and I realized that there is a light it doesn't turn on but its an alarm light. I already know there is a stock alarm and a different light blinks. The one I am noticing is on the dash behind the steering where but it doesn't turn on. I want to get an idea from anyone. I can't find a valet switch so i don't know how to turn it on . I bought this car from the dealer and it did not come with any other remote than the fob. It appears to be an aftermarket alarm. I want to be able to turn it on and see it has a remote start feature. From what i am writing does anyone have an idea what i can do on my own before spending the day at the dealer.