S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

w221 (or any MB with media interface) ULTIMATE video solution!!! :) thank me later.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 06:37 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
G63 AMG
I know some of those interface has RGB (red green blue) RCA connection which is a bit of higher resolution than regular RCA.

I have mega-suction cup thats mounted onto the plastic of where the command screen is covered on.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
S350 BT 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Mike5215
That ebay box also only had Composite Video inputs. It had a bunch of them, but no component or HDMI. Not sure about the rear of the unit. Probably don't have standard AV jacks back there, would be no need. Anyone ever cracked one open?
Yeah, good points, nope have not cracked one of those open at this point.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 556 Likes on 473 Posts
2016 C300
So essentially the COMAND screen is a 7" LCD display, like you'd find in a lap top. The only input to the screen is via the CAN bus. The CAN bus manages what gets sent to the display (Navi, Phone, DVD, Radio) so if you want to add new sources, all roads must lead through the CAN. There are no actual media inputs on the LCD itself (aside from the connection to the CAN.) Every source connects to the CAN.

The aftermarket media interface boxes work by "tricking" the CAN into adding additional sources. However, since COMAND's cabin controls aren't set up to control any extra sources the box is programmed to recognize odd patterns of key presses as commands. Like you hold the phone button down for 5 seconds and it launches a menu where you can access the other sources.

In short, it's a pretty invasive work-around, and some work to learn the various "secret" key presses. Plus the manual is written in translated Chinese, which while sometimes funny to read, would be fairly terrifying to rely on when hacking into the neurological hub of a $100,000 car.

I've added boxes like this to get BT audio and IPod control on a W220, but nothing as involved as this stuff.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:08 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SLK250
Originally Posted by Mike5215
So essentially the COMAND screen is a 7" LCD display, like you'd find in a lap top. The only input to the screen is via the CAN bus. The CAN bus manages what gets sent to the display (Navi, Phone, DVD, Radio) so if you want to add new sources, all roads must lead through the CAN. There are no actual media inputs on the LCD itself (aside from the connection to the CAN.) Every source connects to the CAN.

The aftermarket media interface boxes work by "tricking" the CAN into adding additional sources. However, since COMAND's cabin controls aren't set up to control any extra sources the box is programmed to recognize odd patterns of key presses as commands. Like you hold the phone button down for 5 seconds and it launches a menu where you can access the other sources.

In short, it's a pretty invasive work-around, and some work to learn the various "secret" key presses. Plus the manual is written in translated Chinese, which while sometimes funny to read, would be fairly terrifying to rely on when hacking into the neurological hub of a $100,000 car.

I've added boxes like this to get BT audio and IPod control on a W220, but nothing as involved as this stuff.
Video travels from the HU to the display by LVDS (Think VGA cable on desktop computer). the Can Bus only sends control commands to HU.

The interface works by having a LVDS video switch placed inline between the HU and monitor, any LVDS video entering the switch causes, a switch to the new video.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
That makes sense. Along those lines, would something like a simple KVM switch allow you to toggle between the HU and and an external source on the monitor? You could set the COMAND audio to Aux In to play back the external source's sound, then toggle to the external source on the LCD display.

Last edited by Mike5215; 10-17-2014 at 10:58 AM.
Old 10-17-2014, 01:53 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SLK250
There are nettop computers with LVDS output, which should be simple to adapt. But the LVDS being used on NTG4.5 is four wires, and the LVDS on the net top has many more wires.

Need someone with greater knowledge in LVDS ???

The GM04 has many issues, I don't recommend. But I am happy with the LVDS switch and the touchscreen. I would prefer a windows nettop driving the switch and touchscreen.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
There's always this route...
Old 03-01-2019, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w221
hello my freind i dont have an aux input i have just mmi input and usb input what can

hello my freind i dont have an aux input i have just mmi input and usb input what can i do help me ?
Originally Posted by aznevoviii
Let me clean this thread up a little bit for other users.

This is for 2010+ w221 with MB iPod cable + AUX cable combo in the glove box.

you need,

(1) 3.5mm MALE to 3 RCA FEMALE.

plug this into the AUX and you have a full video + audio using conventional RCA cables. (you can convert it to HDMI but I can not speak for its video quality).

I went ahead and bought ,
(2) multimedia player, that accepts SD card and reads all kinds of video files (AVI/MP4/MPEG etc), tried it on my car and it works!!
(its AC/DC powered with 5v 2amp, so you can even find universal car charger at walmart!)
(Amazon.com: Micca Speck 1080p Full-HD Ultra Portable Digital Media Player For USB Drives and SD/SDHC Cards: Computers & Accessories)

OPTIONAL (3) Video in motion.

Here is the end result!

Attachment 397007

Attachment 397008

(Mike.. so by theory this should work.. haha tomorrow i will know for sure!)
Old 10-16-2019, 02:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w221

Hello
In gloves box i have only usb and mercedes adapter input
I have also 3 cable for iphone etc.
It possibolle to watch video aux for this input?
Old 12-21-2020, 10:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W221 Facelift S500 Long
Originally Posted by dznanekpl

Hello
In gloves box i have only usb and mercedes adapter input
I have also 3 cable for iphone etc.
It possibolle to watch video aux for this input?
hello Sir, i have the same, any idea?
i bought an mi cable with aux, have connect an rca converter with av cable. in comand i have an option Video-AUX, but it dont work.

Last edited by style2k6; 12-21-2020 at 12:20 PM.