S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rear view camera issue :(

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 02:47 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
S500 4M L
Question Rear view camera issue :(

Hi All,
three weeks ago I requested MB dealer to upgrade firmware (FW) on Comand (+ driver door module because my window stopped to work). After that I have 3D navigation view (nice feature) and my driver window is moving up/down.
BUT week after upgrade camera started to have stupid behavior - when I put car into Reverse it 'tries' to activate camera and then back to radio/telephone, when I set N or D screen seems like in rear camera mode with choices park in parallel pr between other cars + Back. Until I press Back - screen is black (car is on D gear and is moving - no matter of speed slow/fast).
I made video
to demonstrate this frustrating 'feature'.
I expect that FW of Comand it 'too new' for Camera ECU ?

During last two weeks camera started to work few times (no idea) why it is going back to wrong behavior. I disconnected main (rear) battery - no change.

Any advice welcome.

Thank you,
Mariusz

Last edited by maniekS500; 10-31-2015 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Signature
Old 10-31-2015, 05:48 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 s550v4
On my 2207, the video cable broke and was intermittently acting as you described.... replaced camera cable in trunk, all was ok... was only about $20 USD...
Old 10-31-2015, 06:08 PM

S500 4M L
new550 - thank you for post ! Do you have part number for this cable ? Maybe you did DIY and photos ? If you can share them. Cable do you meant from camera to ECU (one/two line cable) or cable from ECU (multiple pins) ?
Mariusz
Old 11-04-2015, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL55, S550, 450SL
Originally Posted by new550
On my 2207, the video cable broke and was intermittently acting as you described.... replaced camera cable in trunk, all was ok... was only about $20 USD...
Was the broken cable under the trunk lid or was it inside the rear quarter panel? If it was in the quarter panel, was it passenger or driver side? Thanks.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:50 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,417 Likes on 3,146 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by maniekS500
three weeks ago I requested MB dealer to upgrade firmware (FW) on Comand (+ driver door module because my window stopped to work). After that I have 3D navigation view (nice feature) and my driver window is moving up/down. BUT week after upgrade camera started to have stupid behavior
Have dealer revisit COMAND update at no cost:

Codings can be checked in DAS under the following menu item: Control units -> Information and communication -> Audio, video, navigation and telematics -> COMAND -> Control unit adaptations -> Read coding and modify if necessary -> Display all COMAND codings

MY07 (code 807) with reversing camera (code 218), the codings must be set as follows:Rear View Camera installed: YES; Reversing camera: Camera with parking assist.

If the codings are not set as specified, press F2 to return to the previous menu and select the item "Set vehicle and equipment dependent codings automatically". Run through the subsequent steps and check the codings afterwards.If the codings are still incorrect and the complaint is not rectified, contact the Star Diagnosis Hotline in order to set the coding manually from development data.

If dealer questions revisiting, reference bulletin LI82.85-P-042329.
Old 01-02-2017, 02:29 PM

S420CDI
Originally Posted by MagCL
Was the broken cable under the trunk lid or was it inside the rear quarter panel? If it was in the quarter panel, was it passenger or driver side? Thanks.
Did you find the right cable? I have been trying to change the cable from the trunk lid to the rear quarter panel but I have not located the other end of the cable (on the car, the end on trunk lid is easy to see). Where does the cable go to? Somewhere in the side of the car? Or somewhere near the battery? Thanks for help!
Old 01-02-2017, 04:55 PM

S500 4M L
Jukkis_86 - you can follow by my photo-story in google drive:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...Dg?usp=sharing
When you sort photos by taken date you will see broken cable.
In case of any questions -PM me..

Mariusz
Old 01-02-2017, 11:25 PM

CL55, S550, 450SL
Originally Posted by jukkis_86
Did you find the right cable? I have been trying to change the cable from the trunk lid to the rear quarter panel but I have not located the other end of the cable (on the car, the end on trunk lid is easy to see). Where does the cable go to? Somewhere in the side of the car? Or somewhere near the battery? Thanks for help!
I bought the cable from the dealership.
Just start replacing the cable starting from the camera going towards the quarter panel. The cable is not that long and it connects to some box behind the drivers side wheel well in the quarter panel. Just follow the cable, you'll find where it connects to. I think I had to undo some of the tape that holds all the wires together in the quarter panel to figure out which wire it was. Shouldn't take more than half an hour to do.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:07 AM

S500 4M L
Cable number is 221-440-38-32 (read from invoice from dealer).
Old 01-04-2017, 12:27 AM

S420CDI
Thank you for your advice! I believe I have the right cable, but when I bought it, I thought it would be like plug&play as there are small connectors in the both end of the cable. But now I have understood from the photos in Google Drive that I need to cut some wires to make the lower end of the cable fit to the big grey connector. This might be a bit tricky as I don't have the right tools right now...
Old 01-04-2017, 04:47 AM

S500 4M L
Originally Posted by jukkis_86
But now I have understood from the photos in Google Drive that I need to cut some wires to make the lower end of the cable fit to the big grey connector. This might be a bit tricky as I don't have the right tools right now...
Jukkis you have to NOT CUT any cable ! From dealer you receive cable with four pins on one end - second end has a plug for camera end connector. You have to release and then open connector which is plugged into camera ECU. There is one plastic piece which you have to move and connector will be open. Then using needle you can easy unlock old four pins (you can find them on the shema from my photos and/or compare by colors to new cable from dealer), remove old pins from connector then push new ones in the same places. Before that cable must be routed via trunk (in some places cable is glued via glue tape to others cables coming to audio amplifier).