S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

Possibly Buying 2009 S63 - What To Look Out For?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 11:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 S63 AMG
Possibly Buying 2009 S63 - What To Look Out For?

I'm looking at a first-time Benz purchase, a used 2009 S63 AMG.

I'm going to have an MB dealer inspect the vehicle for me. Is there anything specific I should instruct them to check for? i.e. any common issues, mechanical failures, etc..

Also, do these cars have a launch control counter like BMW or Audi? Is there any way an MB tech can tell if the car have been overly abused by a previous owner?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:17 PM

2012 S600
!

Not matter what get an extended warranty!
Enjoy it a great car!!!!
Old 01-11-2016, 09:32 PM

2012 S63 AMG
Any suggestion where to shop for an extended plan?

I have heard many warranties are not worth the paper they're written on.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:35 PM

Received 170 Likes on 108 Posts
18 MB S63, 2022 911 Turbo S, 23 BMW M5C
Originally Posted by subterFUSE
Any suggestion where to shop for an extended plan?

I have heard many warranties are not worth the paper they're written on.
Fidelity Warranty from the dealer. Don't leave home without it. Seriously, just don't. You'll potentially be VERY VERY VERY VERY sorry if you don't. I wouldn't own this car without this. I got a 10 year warranty on my 2012 and a 5 year on my 2008. In 2 years of owning my 2008 I had over $12k in repairs. Yep. Get the warranty. They charged me $5685 for it. Worth every penny.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:40 PM

2012 S63 AMG
Originally Posted by stever500
Fidelity Warranty from the dealer. Don't leave home without it. Seriously, just don't. You'll potentially be VERY VERY VERY VERY sorry if you don't. I wouldn't own this car without this. I got a 10 year warranty on my 2012 and a 5 year on my 2008. In 2 years of owning my 2008 I had over $12k in repairs. Yep. Get the warranty. They charged me $5685 for it. Worth every penny.
Thank you for the reply.

The Fidelity warranty... you said get it from "the dealer?"

I won't be purchasing the car from a Mercedes dealer. Can I still get a warranty through a dealer? Or can I contact Fidelity directly?
Old 01-11-2016, 11:46 PM

I got mine from the dealer. I'd call around. Just get it, don't ... not get it!!!!
Old 01-12-2016, 08:25 AM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Car free at the moment
The m156 engine in this car is prone to breaking head bolts. It happens to a small minority of engines, but repair cost ranges from a few thousand dollars up to needing an engine rebuild in the $15k range. Google up "Mercedes m156 problems" and read some of the discussions to learn about it. Most of the carnage occurs in the c63. Same engine, but many more were built.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:26 AM

2012 S63 AMG
Thank you, that is precisely the type of info I'm interested in knowing.

Are head bolts covered under a good extended warranty plan? Or do those fall under the typical exclusions? Would a catastrophic engine failure, requiring a rebuild like you describe, be covered?

I just spoke to an agent with CarChex about a Titanium Plan. Is this a reputable company, or should I be seeking other quotes elsewhere?

Edit: Also, I am not a mechanically inclined person. Are these head bolts something that a dealer could inspect for me after I purchase? I will have a few days to decide whether to keep the car, during which I do plan to have it thoroughly looked over by an MB service center. Or are they something that's deep inside the engine with no way to check unless taken apart, in which case it would be impractical to inspect unless there were symptoms of an issue?

Last edited by subterFUSE; 01-12-2016 at 09:52 AM.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:21 AM

Car free at the moment
Thank you, that is precisely the type of info I'm interested in knowing.

Are head bolts covered under a good extended warranty plan? Or do those fall under the typical exclusions? Would a catastrophic engine failure, requiring a rebuild like you describe, be covered?

I just spoke to an agent with CarChex about a Titanium Plan. Is this a reputable company, or should I be seeking other quotes elsewhere?

Edit: Also, I am not a mechanically inclined person. Are these head bolts something that a dealer could inspect for me after I purchase? I will have a few days to decide whether to keep the car, during which I do plan to have it thoroughly looked over by an MB service center. Or are they something that's deep inside the engine with no way to check unless taken apart, in which case it would be impractical to inspect unless there were symptoms of an issue?
I can't speak directly to the warranty, you would have to research and understand what it covers. Probably your best bet would be a so-called exclusionary warranty which covers everything except items specifically identified as not covered. I have seen in some of the c63 discussions that head bolts were not covered by an aftermarket warranty, so it is definately buyer beware.

There's no way to inspect the head bolts, and really no reason to do so. If the engine runs fine - smooth and with no warning lights - it's fine. When a bolt breaks, it admits coolant into that cylinder. If it's a small amount of coolant, you'll get misfires, rough running, and engine warning light, and a nice big white cloud out the exhaust. If a large amount of coolant is admitted, the engine hydrolocks and you need a significantly expensive rebuild.

In perusing the mbworld discussions on this engine, I have seen owners have this problem occur at 25K miles, and quite recently at 160K miles. The only sure way to avoid it seems to be to proactively replace the head bolts with updated parts before failure. However this is still several thousand dollars worth of service work. My personal solution is simply to not buy a car with this engine, even though I am a serial AMG owner.

BTW, I assume you know all about ABC suspension?
Old 01-12-2016, 01:08 PM

2012 S63 AMG
Originally Posted by Shadow5501

BTW, I assume you know all about ABC suspension?
I'm aware it has the ABC suspension, and that it obviously is expensive to fix.

I'm also aware that suspension parts are not normally covered under extended warranties, as they usually fall under the exclusions. Is that correct?

Anything specific about the ABC prone to failure? Anything to check for, or to see if a warranty would cover?

Thanks for all your help.
Old 01-12-2016, 01:34 PM

Car free at the moment
Sorry, I've nothing specific to offer on ABC. I've never been interested in a car equipped with it, so haven't edumacated myself. Like you, I know it's basically magic to drive, but expensive to repair when a problem occurs. With a warranty, I think it is again just insuring that ABC parts are covered.
Old 01-12-2016, 01:36 PM

2012 S63 AMG
Your assistance is appreciated. Thank you.

I'll continue doing my homework on warranty coverage.
Old 01-12-2016, 01:41 PM

2012 S63 AMG
Can someone send me a link to Fidelity warranty?

There seems to be more than 1 search result with Google and I want to be sure I have the correct vendor.
Old 01-12-2016, 03:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 S63, 2012 E550, 2005 E55, 2005 SL55, 2013 SL63, 2020 AMG GT, 1994, 1998, 1999, 2001 SL500
Check with credit unions in your area. I have a exclusionary Members choice extended warranty on my 2008 that extends until 2021 or 100k miles. Policy is only available through credit unions. The lower the miles at the beginning, the better the rate. I paid 4k and only have used it once for an accumulator on the ABC suspension. Suspensions are usually only covered if they are self leveling, which is what they consider the ABC.
Old 01-12-2016, 04:26 PM

2012 S63 AMG
I just visited my local MB dealership and talked to the service advisor. He said to watch out for power steering on the cars with ABC. He also said the ABC was a trouble area and expensive, so that obviously confirms that.

I asked if he had experience with Fidelity warranties, and there was a slight cringe.
He told me to just get the CarMax warranty. Said it was good, and they have customers who bring their cars to Mercedes for their service issues and never have problems. I was a little surprised to hear that. Not sure whether to trust that or not?
Old 02-15-2016, 07:04 PM

2012 S63 AMG
Well, I ended up purchasing a 2012 S63 AMG last week.

24,300 miles. OEM warranty was expired due to time, but I purchased a CarChex Titanium plan with High Tech add-on.

Dealer installed fresh new Continental tires on it, too.

Car was inspected by an MB dealer and only 2 issues found:

1. Car needed front pads and rotors.

2. 1 of the wheels had a slight bend in it from a pothole.

I got the brakes done this week, and the wheel repaired today.

Next step will be some cosmetic improvements. Need to get rid of as much chrome trim as possible. Will be wrapping the window trim in black, and painting the emblems black. Ordered some black hood vents, too.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:11 PM

Congrats! What color did you get? I may have missed this with all the posts here...

Would love to see the final result after you wrap everything. Why are you wrapping it? You don't like the chrome? It will look quite unique when it's done.

sr
Old 02-15-2016, 07:29 PM

2012 S63 AMG
Originally Posted by stever500
Congrats! What color did you get?
Diamond White
Black Interior
Performance Pkg
Driver Assist w/ Distronic Plus
Rear Seat Comfort Pkg
Panorama Roof
Split View

Pretty much everything but B&O stereo, which would be pointless for me because I'm replacing the stereo anyway.

Would love to see the final result after you wrap everything. Why are you wrapping it? You don't like the chrome? It will look quite unique when it's done.

sr

I HATE chrome with an absolute passion. I'm coming from BMW and Audi and I'm used to the Shadowline trim and Black Optics packages.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:55 PM

Diamond White
Black Interior
Performance Pkg
Driver Assist w/ Distronic Plus
Rear Seat Comfort Pkg
Panorama Roof
Split View

Pretty much everything but B&O stereo, which would be pointless for me because I'm replacing the stereo anyway.

I HATE chrome with an absolute passion. I'm coming from BMW and Audi and I'm used to the Shadowline trim and Black Optics packages.

Wow, that sounds superb all around. I had shadowline trim on my last BMW 7 series as it came that way, but didn't even think about doing a wrap on my new S63 as I am happy w/the looks I guess. Will look forward to your pics.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:02 AM

2012 S63 AMG
Cosmetic mod # 1 complete.

Replaced hood vents with black ones. Found OEM parts @ MBoemParts.com already painted. Just had the dealer pop them out and put in the new ones.

Black grill and emblems are next up on the list. Need to find a good source for a gloss black grill for Distronic Plus. Anyone have suggestions?
Old 02-18-2016, 07:28 PM

German Stuff
I'm aware it has the ABC suspension, and that it obviously is expensive to fix.

I'm also aware that suspension parts are not normally covered under extended warranties, as they usually fall under the exclusions. Is that correct?

Anything specific about the ABC prone to failure? Anything to check for, or to see if a warranty would cover?

Thanks for all your help.
My ABC was replaced under warranty…always get the warranty.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:28 AM

2012 S63 AMG
Originally Posted by waltern
My ABC was replaced under warranty…always get the warranty.
Which parts were replaced under your warranty?

My CarChex warranty exclusions say they won't cover "shock absorbers."

I wonder how specific or vague they use that term? Is a strut considered a shock absorber? What about the accumulators?