S63 AMG 4MATIC Coupe, S65 AMG Coupe (C217), Convert. (A217) 2014 -2021

S63 Coupe - Engine failing/stalling, waiting on Mercedes..

Old 08-04-2015, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S63 Coupe, 991 Turbo S, S8, 458 Italia, C5 RS6, SQ5
S63 Coupe - Engine failing/stalling, waiting on Mercedes..

Hey guys, new member. I had a couple AMG's in the past, but never made my way onto the forum until now. Here's an outline of my situation:

- Purchased a S63 Coupe about 2 months ago (new)

- 5 days after purchasing the vehicle, it died/stalled in the middle of the road. Motor completely turned off, almost like when you get in and just hit the ignition button quickly without depressing the brake. All hazard and engine warning lights illuminated, etc. I had my wife in the car - and safe to say we both freaked out. We were stuck in the middle of the road after attempting to make a right hand turn - and I had no idea what was happening with the vehicle. I eventually turned the car off again, and attempted to restart it. The car restarted into Neutral, I was able to engage Drive, and continue driving. Not a fun experience.

- Called the dealership, they asked me to bring it in.

- They told me there was probably air in the fuel line, considering it was a new car, and it caused the engine to stall.

- Month and a half goes by, no issues.

- About two weeks ago, car stalls again while driving. Making a right again, car dies in the middle of the road. Thankfully the car heading towards me was paying attention and decided to stop before hitting my driver side.

- I called, upset, and brought the car back.

- They gave me back the car 48 hours later, stating that they performed a software upgrade hoping that would fix the issue. They admitted that they still don't know what the issue was, as the car was not presenting any fault codes. I took the car back now knowing the issue was not identified or fixed. Mercedes Customer Care got involved, and they told me they were confident the issue was fixed and I was safe to drive the car.

- Less than 24 hours later, the car stalled again. Thankfully this time in a parking lot.

Mercedes now has the car, and Merc Corporate is involved. They said they need to do an investigation and decide if they were going to give me a "trade assist", or if they were going to "stand behind the car and it's warranty" (in other words, I'd be stuck with it).

Keep in mind the resolution I'm asking for is pretty straight forward. At this point, the car has died three times and they don't know how to fix it. I want them to take the car back, and I will move into a S65 Coupe (I'll just pay the difference between the two new models). It's been 5 days, no resolution so far. Really, really hoping that they do the right thing and call the S63 a wash and let me move into the S65 without penalty. If they don't handle this properly, I see this getting very ugly, very quickly.

Last edited by FonzieDYC; 08-04-2015 at 11:20 AM.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:57 PM

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts
S, GL
Seriously sucks

Did corp give you a time frame for their reply

I'd wait to see what they say, but in the meantime, I'd just start documenting dates, days without vehicle, etc so I'm prepared to have a lemon law conversation

In most states, you've triggered the lemon law given three unsuccessful repairs
Old 08-04-2015, 09:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 694 Likes on 528 Posts
R Nine T
Yeah good luck with that on Mercedes end. They do not lay down on lemon law and are one of the toughest litigators of all auto manufacturers.
Old 08-05-2015, 01:24 AM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 CL65
Sounds like a dangerous lemon

Suspect anyone who can afford a new >$150K car values own life/health more than mere deprec hit of getting rid of any unsafe car...in event mfr chooses to be difficult&where lemoning process costs more in own oppty costs vs just trading in the POS

Wild guess: at least 2-5% of any MB/P/F, etc are lemons

Know several repeat new 65 buyers: each has had, over past ~10yrs, at least one lemon 65 bought back (for engine fail issues): annoying process but suspect those who have bought many new 65s from any powerful dealer in a major mkt tend to have a more efficient process than a cust without much of a buying hx or dealer relationship

That said, also know several repeat AMG/F/P buyers who have lemoned 63s b/c of that POS MCT: a truly laughable piece of junk that AMG has been peddling for ~7yrs now

Would just 2yr lease any of these cars realizing the inherent lemon/bug rates of any of 'em and incentives of any dealer (or mfr) to resolve these inevitable issues, obviously vs the perceived profitability of any specific repeat customer...and also consider low pay/incentives at any mfr vs retaining high-profit, repeat customers: suspect well-run, profit-oriented dealers/salesguys are far more incented than anyone at any car mfr....
Old 08-06-2015, 10:03 AM

s63 amg
Hi,

Please check https://mbworld.org/forums/s63-amg-s...g-traffic.html
I had something similar in my s63 sedan - has been fixed with a software update ...
Old 08-06-2015, 06:06 PM

S63 Coupe, 991 Turbo S, S8, 458 Italia, C5 RS6, SQ5
Originally Posted by kabir911
Hi,

Please check https://mbworld.org/forums/s63-amg-s...g-traffic.html
I had something similar in my s63 sedan - has been fixed with a software update ...
How long since the software upgrade?
Old 08-07-2015, 12:30 AM

s63 amg
I had the problem Oct 2014 x3 times in standing traffic over a period of month when I took ownership of the car. Merc Frankfurt (Germany) could not find any diagnostic error or any indication of a problem, however they updated the software. Since then I have not had that issue, so assuming it is fixed.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:39 AM

2018 SL 65 AMG 2017 GLE 63S 2015 RAM RT
Had the same issue on my 63 coupe. Roadside came out and took the vehicle to the dealership. Said there was a computer issue but the wrecker company scratched the front. So, the coupe has been at the dealership since Aug 3 getting repaired,
Also, had the same computer issue on my CL63.
Old 08-18-2015, 12:54 AM

S65 AMG Coupé, GTs, C63 Wagon
Question I think I'm having the same stalling issue...

Originally Posted by FonzieDYC
- 5 days after purchasing the vehicle, it died/stalled in the middle of the road. Motor completely turned off, almost like when you get in and just hit the ignition button quickly without depressing the brake. All hazard and engine warning lights illuminated, etc. I had my wife in the car - and safe to say we both freaked out. We were stuck in the middle of the road after attempting to make a right hand turn - and I had no idea what was happening with the vehicle. I eventually turned the car off again, and attempted to restart it. The car restarted into Neutral, I was able to engage Drive, and continue driving. Not a fun experience.
Hi there, Im new to the Forum. Have you had any resolution to your stalling problems? Im experiencing the same thing as you. I too have an S63 AMG Coupe brand new (Sydney Australia) and I find when I'm turning a corner, she dies. Not all the time, but when she does, its quite scary... and embarrassing. Sometimes I don't realise she's stalled until my foot puts the accelerator to the floor and I'm slowing down to a stop.

My dealer currently has my car. They ran tests and couldn't find anything wrong. I thought I was going crazy until I found your post today. They're holding on to my car while they liaise with Mercedes Melbourne.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:29 PM

2015 S63 AMG
Hi there, from Canada. Just got my 2015 S63 sedan about a month ago. The first stall happened about a week ago, I didn't think much of it. The second time was today in traffic while making a left hand turn, pretty scary. The car is now at the dealer with a print out of this blog. I made them aware that this is not an unknown issue or my imagination playing tricks on me. What's most disturbing is that if I was involved in an accident because of this stall today and no fault codes came up, without this blog, I would have been held at fault and the dealer or insurance company would not have believed me. Thank you everyone for your input.
Old 09-05-2015, 03:46 PM
dnm

mercedes 20-5 s63 Amy
Same problem S63 stalling

Brand new s63 has stalled twice in traffic. Have had car 2 months. In shop 31/2 weeks. I decided to give it a drive last week and after a right turn it sputtered but did not stall.Nobody in my household will get in the vehicle. It is not safe. Mercedes Corp was not cooperative. The dealer has said they will stand by me and deal with corporate but I am getting nowhere fast.i want this car to be a wash and pick out a different vehicle. 175k brand new car that is unsafe, really?
Old 09-14-2015, 03:37 PM
Nee

S63amg. ML63amg
hello all,

Just joined the forum to see if the is anyone winning this battle with MB. It seems that there are a few of us around the globe having the same issue. I have a S63 that is 3months old with the same problem, cuts off while at slow speeds. I am in South Africa.

MB has no faults on the system and will not change the vehicle. One owner in South Korea just smashed the hell out if his s63. http://drizz.ly/man-absolutely-destr...ub-must-watch/

Keep us posted if anyone finds a solution.

Thks!
Old 09-16-2015, 06:21 AM

Wow! That guy must own a mine.

Mercedes still has my car. They needed to be able to replicate what was happening so I was happy for them to keep it. A few weeks go by (they'd take it out once or twice a day) until finally one day, bang... she dies. They sent diagnostic report to Germany, were advised to do some transmission adaptations and then a software update, then drive it for the rest of the week to make sure all is ok. That didn't work because the very next day, she apparently died again.

It's now been 'escalated' to the next level and they're liaising with Germany again. I should get a further update by the end of the week.
Old 09-16-2015, 06:32 AM
Nee

S63amg. ML63amg
Hi Sala

Germany did try some new software, increase idle speed and adaptation on my wet clutch with no luck, she stills dies. I have a sedan however, but same gearbox and engine as I understand.
Old 09-26-2015, 12:27 AM

2015 S63 Coupe, 2015 Escalade ESV P, 2014 ML63(sold),2013 G63(sold),2013 SL550(sold),2012 S550(sold)
I just had the same thing. My S63 coupe is 2015 and I'm the 2nd owner. It had 622 miles when I bought it CPO. They said the previous owner returned it due to a nav issue that they resolved but he wanted a whole new car. Now I'm wondering if that was true. I was driving home, stopped in traffic. When traffic started to move, I went to press the accelerator and the engine died. All the dash warning lights came on. This is a single lane each way and I'm blocking traffic so I didn't note the error message, I just turned the car off, turned it on to try and get moving. When I turned it back on, it was in neutral or park, wasn't paying attention. I put it into drive and floored it. By the way I was in sport mode at the time.

I called the dealership and they said without an error message there wasn't much they could tell. They said it could be the auto stop. I told them I was in sport mode and that turns off the auto stop, and that if it was autostop, when I release the brake the engine would've restarted but instead it died and error lights came on. The guy on the phone wasn't a service manager as they were gone for the evening. He did check with a tech and there were no service bulletins. I'm very concerned. The are has maybe 1600 miles on it.

Rob
Old 09-26-2015, 03:15 PM
Nee

S63amg. ML63amg
Hi Rob,

The team from AMG arrive Monday to look into my car, will let you know what the outcome is during week. Needless to say that Merc have an issue which needs urgent attention.

Cheers!
Old 09-27-2015, 01:04 AM

2015 S63 Coupe, 2015 Escalade ESV P, 2014 ML63(sold),2013 G63(sold),2013 SL550(sold),2012 S550(sold)
Thanks! As an update, on my way to the dealership to drop off the car this morning, it stalled again. I stopped at a red light about 1 mile from the dealership and the car died! They gave me a loaner and will look into it. They had a 2014 cayman on the used lot they gave me. Fun car, rough ride!
Old 09-28-2015, 04:40 PM

S, GL
Originally Posted by fulmitz
Thanks! As an update, on my way to the dealership to drop off the car this morning, it stalled again. I stopped at a red light about 1 mile from the dealership and the car died! They gave me a loaner and will look into it. They had a 2014 cayman on the used lot they gave me. Fun car, rough ride!
We went back n forth in your other thread about the VMI

You should absolutely ask to see the VMI now

If your dealer won't show it to you, well then ...
Old 09-28-2015, 07:00 PM

Ok, so… the latest from out my way… I had a call from a gentleman who is the Technical Service Manager of Australia. In my earlier post, I said Mercedes had been able to replicate what was happening. After speaking to this tech manager, he advised that they didn’t actually replicate what was happening as such… Every time the car stalled with me, it was when I was slowing down to take a corner. With Mercedes, they stopped at the lights and as they accelerated away, thats when it stalled.

Now, the next paragraph comes with a disclaimer: I was in the middle of a meeting when I took the call so its how I heard it (the explanation). I’ll have a better idea when I get a detailed report of what they have done...

They found that on the 2 occasions when the car stalled, the engine heated to 85 degrees - when the car would accelerate away from the lights, the car would initially start moving then all of a sudden Eco stop start would engage hence the stalling. At least thats what I took from what this gentleman had said.

They have sent their report away to Germany and are now waiting for Germany to create a software update to override this.

In the meantime, they’ve apologise profusely, taken back the C class they had loaned me and given me an S Class to drive until I eventually get my car back. I’ve never driven a hybrid before so sat in the car for about 10 minutes trying to figure out how to start the damn thing.

Will keep you posted.
Old 09-29-2015, 02:18 PM

Nee,

Any word from Mercedes Corporate about whats going on with your car?
Old 09-29-2015, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by jenz
We went back n forth in your other thread about the VMI

You should absolutely ask to see the VMI now

If your dealer won't show it to you, well then ...
Well, then... I asked my dealer for the VMI, they gave it to me without hesitation and it was just as they said. Sorry, not all dealers are crooks. It had 3 comments. I was incorrect about one fact as you will see below.

1) prepped for PDI and sale
2) sent in for correction of faulty nav, replaced
3) traded in with dealer allowance for full refund toward new car.

I was wrong about 1 thing, the previous owner didn't lose a dime. They gave him every penny back to put towards another car and the dealer/MB took a $30,000 hit as he is a good customer and an attorney and they didn't want to **** him off. The car stickered at $190,000 and they gave him all of it back and he ordered another S63 coupe. They then CPO'd the car and sold it to me for $160,000!

Nothing about the engine stall issue. Are you satisfied? I didn't doubt them and I was the one with the car! As I said, when you have a long term relationship with a dealer I'd be shocked if they lied to you, it would only come out in the end to bite them in the ***. They even went above and beyond for the previous owner over an issue that was resolved 100% as I've never had an issue with the nav from day 1.

As for the engine shut down and sluggish transmission, they told me today there were 4 or 5 software updates to cover all the issues and I should have the car back by thursday evening. Hopefully this will resolve things. On the bright side I wound up buying the porsche cayman they gave me as a loaner as my wife fell in love with it

Rob

Last edited by fulmitz; 09-29-2015 at 11:41 PM.
Old 09-29-2015, 11:57 PM

S, GL
I just had the same thing. My S63 coupe is 2015 and I'm the 2nd owner. It had 622 miles when I bought it CPO. They said the previous owner returned it due to a nav issue that they resolved but he wanted a whole new car. Now I'm wondering if that was true.
You started to doubt your dealer's story yourself so please come off your soapbox

I gave you a concrete way to verify the dealer's representations

I'm glad all was above board, and I think most would have said thank you

I guess huffing and puffing is your way to convey the same

You're welcome
Old 09-30-2015, 12:20 AM

True I did say that, but that was me being over dramatic. I was just upset about the situation, my car just died while stopped in traffic. I even asked them and they said that was never an issue with the previous owner and they stood by it. Maybe I had a moment of weakness due to all the naysayers telling me the dealer was probably hiding something and I should get the VMI and I was a fool to just take their word for it that the only issue was the nav, all through the previous thread as per the following quote

"You can also ask your dealer, but I suspect he will not share it with you

I hope I'm wrong, but the new NAV = replacement vehicle doesn't sound right to me"

Not only did my salesman text it to me within a few minutes of me asking him, but when I came it to get a loaner he gave me a hard copy as well. No fuss, no going to the top man or manager, just the floor salesman. Again I too am a good customer and have bought 10 cars from them in the past 5 years. I didn't suspect anyone misrepresenting themselves until the bug was put in my ear here. So thank you for making me doubt people who were honest with me and gave me a good deal? $30,000 off a car with 622 miles on it and a 5 year unlimited mile warranty, not too shabby. Hopefully this engine issue will be resolved and if not I suspect they will treat me the same as the previous owner and do right by me as they always have.

Rob

Last edited by fulmitz; 09-30-2015 at 12:35 AM.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:33 PM

S, GL
So thank you for making me doubt people who were honest with me and gave me a good deal?
Remarkable

This is akin to me snarking my HR department on a candidate when the background check is returned clean

"Thanks for wasting my time, I could tell Henry had nothing to hide"

Let's just agree to disagree
Old 10-02-2015, 07:01 PM

No, It would be akin to you snarking on a candidate before the backround check to HR saying "Ask them these questions but I doubt they'll answer, and the fact they say they got a degree from Harvard, I strongly doubt it." Then HR comes back with everything verified, how would HR look at you then? That is similar situation, but I guess we'll agree to disagree.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: S63 Coupe - Engine failing/stalling, waiting on Mercedes..