E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Steering lock problem - please help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 06:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
W210 E280
Steering lock problem - please help

Hi Guys,
I've just managed to do something stupid - I had an ignition switch problem and I removed the switch to fix it, but when I came to put it back it wouldn't go into the steering lock properly. The I realised that the steering lock had triggered somehow.... Oh, heck! Is there a way to release it?

The car's stuck in my garage and certainly not easy to move (poor access for a tow-truck) so I need to release this in situ by some means.

Any (helpful!) comments appreciated.
Thanks, Bob.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:47 AM

W210 E280
Originally Posted by jonssen
Hi Guys,
I've just managed to do something stupid - I had an ignition switch problem and I removed the switch to fix it, but when I came to put it back it wouldn't go into the steering lock properly. The I realised that the steering lock had triggered somehow.... Oh, heck! Is there a way to release it?

The car's stuck in my garage and certainly not easy to move (poor access for a tow-truck) so I need to release this in situ by some means.

Any (helpful!) comments appreciated.
Thanks, Bob.

Should anyone have the same problem and manage to trip the mechanical steering lock, I now have a quick and easy method to reset it (without destroying it!)
Attached Thumbnails Steering lock problem - please help-w210-steering-lock_03.jpg  
Old 12-26-2009, 06:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e320,honda ridgeline
steeing lock problem

how did you fix the problem?
Old 12-26-2009, 09:16 PM

W210 E280
Hi, It's quite simple. I'll need to send you a PDF.
The following 2 users liked this post by jonssen:
Bhima (03-14-2021), Roar ØvergÃ¥rd (11-03-2020)
Old 12-27-2009, 09:02 AM

'99 E320 4matic Wagon
Post the pdf here, please. Ya never know...
Old 12-27-2009, 04:33 PM

2002 Mercedes Benz E320
I don't mean to go off-topic or waste space with a new thread, but I have question. Am I supposed to hear a locking/clicking noise when I insert/remove the key from the ignition?
Old 01-03-2010, 12:30 AM

e320,honda ridgeline
Gentlemen, I tried to replace the ignition switch on my 96 e320 since i have on & off starting problem.I kept in position 0 when I removed the ignition switch and position 1 aux.but when I replaced the protective sleeve assembly into steering lock I encountered a problem,it does not go all the way.About 1/4 of an inch gap. What is wrong? I tripped the steering lock few times w/ your help was able to unlatched it.
Your help wll be appreciated.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts
MB’s
Originally Posted by BigBoss
I don't mean to go off-topic or waste space with a new thread, but I have question. Am I supposed to hear a locking/clicking noise when I insert/remove the key from the ignition?
Yes.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:06 PM

Mercedes
1997 E420 Lock release.

Anybody have a solution for the release?

Thanks
Old 02-07-2011, 01:28 AM

W210 E280
W210 (and similar models) Steering lock release (when accidentally triggered)

SEE MY EARLIER THREAD POSTING - Should anyone have the same problem and manage to trip the mechanical steering lock, I now have a quick and easy method to reset it (without destroying it!)

N.B. Private message me with your email address as I need to send you a PDF.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:25 PM
MG
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
1998 E430; 2007 Porsche 911 C4S Cabriolet; 2011 Expedition EL Limited; 2014 E350 Estate
Can you post the pdf here or link to it?
Old 04-16-2011, 03:36 PM

e-class w210
hi could you send me the pdf file so i can find out how to release this i have a e-class 280 1997 e-mail address is john.w.mulligan@btopenworld.com many thanks
Old 04-16-2011, 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
98 Brilliant Silver E320 Wagon
I smell a 'phish'. Posters don't need your private email to send you something. Wake up America!
Old 04-17-2011, 04:59 AM

e-class w210
hi richard
ive just joined so im just trying to find my way around
Old 04-17-2011, 09:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hi and Welcome to the forum.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:58 PM

W210 E280
Originally Posted by RichardM98
I smell a 'phish'. Posters don't need your private email to send you something. Wake up America!
No smell and no 'phish' RichardM98, but if they don't send a private email with their email address....
1) I won't get the request because I've got something better to do with my time than hang around here all day and night, and
2) without an email address I can't send an attachment.

So, wake up RichardM98!

;-)
Old 04-19-2011, 12:08 AM

W210 E280
Originally Posted by MG
Can you post the pdf here or link to it?
MG, As it concerns a security device do you not feel that it may be best not posted on an open public forum?
Old 04-19-2011, 12:12 AM

W210 E280

SEE MY EARLIER THREAD POSTING - Should anyone have the same problem and manage to trip the mechanical steering lock, I now have a quick and easy method to reset it (without destroying it!)

N.B. Private message me with your email address as I need to send you a PDF.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1) I won't get the request because I've got something better to do with my time than hang around here all day and night, and
ROFLMAO!

Didn't take long for you to notice my post

You can use the private email feature to send a link to any member of the forum. You can also add a PDF to a posing.

To date, I haven't seen any evidence of your great solution. Not from you or anyone who sent you their email for over 2 years! If you have a solution post it.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:15 PM

W210 E280
ROFLMAO!

Didn't take long for you to notice my post

You can use the private email feature to send a link to any member of the forum. You can also add a PDF to a posing.

To date, I haven't seen any evidence of your great solution. Not from you or anyone who sent you their email for over 2 years! If you have a solution post it.

RichardM98, OK, I have no problem with you wanting to have a pop at me if you like, but I don't think we should clutter this thread with academic argument and spoil the board for other users, so I'll send you a PM and take this off board.
Thanks.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The purpose of a public forum is to exchange ideas and information openly. From my experience those who would like to play games or manipulate use the back door.

I received the following message from the OP:

"RichardM98, OK, I have no problem with you wanting to have a pop at me if you like, but for the sake of other people who do genuinely have a locked steering and would benefit from help (which you cannot get from a merc dealer even - I know, I tried when I messed up my own), why don't you engage your brain before letting your postings get ahead of you.

If you have doubts, surely, rather than posting inane comment without any basis in fact, would it not have been a good idea to simply ask me?

The reason I have been on line to even see your post was because I was answering private message requests from other people. When I get requests for the info I check them out to see if I feel they are likely legit, because the info will tell them how to disable a theft security device.

Besides, it's very easy for you to contact the administrators and find out just when and how often I've been on the site over the past two years, which might save you from making errors of judgement leading to postings casting aspersions upon the goodwill of others who you do not know.

As I have explained earlier in the thread (you did read it, I assume?), I do not feel that it is in people's general interest that I post the consise instructions which could be used to assist in stealing a vehicle on an open forum for anyone to read. Anyway, I'd expect the moderator might pull it anyway, if he/she is doing their job.

The same applies to hosting it somewhere else and posting a link (I have no hosting facility set up at the moment anyway, as it happens).

Those people who have had the information have usually reverted back to me privately (email is two way - when I send the PDF, they get my contact) to say thanks. It's not my fault they don't post a review on the board, is it? Nor can I oblige them so do do, can I?

Quite often they are new members anyway, who arrive just seeking a solution to the dilemma of having 'tripped' the steering lock. Perhaps you don't realise quite how worrying for people this is because you have never been in that situation. Perhaps you don't understand just how secure this steering lock actually is? I was told to smash it with a big hammer (which will wreck the steeling columm housing), hacksaw it off (it's hardended steel and that still won't release it as it's held in by a stepped bolt) and even burn it off with a cutting torch (yes right next to all the stuff under the dash, again involving cutting the steering column housing). Quite a few people even said it's impossible without replacing the steeing column!

To find a better solution, I had to buy a new lock ($130, which I still have unused) and examine it. That enabled me to sort out something that could be done in minutes with simple tools.

As the merc dealers are not even aware of this solution (to the best of my knowledge) clearly no one else was likely to be either, so I spent an evening photographing and typing up to make a little service document - the PDF. A simple selfless act for the benefit of others.

So, hopefully this will now start to make some sense to you. Perhaps if it does, you may like to follow the example of simple selfless acts and let people visiting the thread know that you were a little hasty with your earlier comments.

If not, please feel free to continue 'ROFLMAO' and hopefully your '***' will detach itself soon. It will likely be a lot sooner that any poor individuals struggling to unlock the steering on their immobilised vehicles for the want of a simple solution!

Kind regards,
Jonssen."
The following users liked this post:
Roar ØvergÃ¥rd (11-03-2020)
Old 05-01-2011, 12:57 AM

W210 E280
The purpose of a public forum is to exchange ideas and information openly. From my experience those who would like to play games or manipulate use the back door.

I received the following message from the OP:

"RichardM98, OK, I have no problem with you wanting to have a pop at me if you like, but for the sake of other people...

Yes RichardM98, indeed I did, 9 days ago, and I have no objection to you posting a copy of it. The simple courtesy of an acknowledgement would have be nice though.

As your stated view is that this forum is for the 'exchange of ideas and information openly' I'd have thought you might have presented some reasoned response in preference to continuing malevolent inuendo.

Ah, well..., c'est la vie.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:40 AM

e-class w210
hi jonssen thank you so much for the pdf file and i am pleased to say the information was spot on the steering lock is released and i have a mobile car now.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:44 AM

1997 e320
steering lock problem

So im experiencing the same situation, i removed the sleeve in position 1 because i had no choice ( key broke in the tumbler) i have a replacement out of a used car, when i went to put it in it wont line up because the steering lock engaged when i removed the old ignition! I PM'd you JONSSEN.... please help, they are threatening to tow my car if i dont move it soon!
Old 06-04-2011, 10:51 PM

W210 E280
Originally Posted by mrunpretentious
So im experiencing the same situation, i removed the sleeve in position 1 because i had no choice ( key broke in the tumbler) i have a replacement out of a used car, when i went to put it in it wont line up because the steering lock engaged when i removed the old ignition! I PM'd you JONSSEN.... please help, they are threatening to tow my car if i dont move it soon!

You might be confusing things there - as I understand it, position 1 is the correct position in which to remove the key-lock barrel or the ignition switch and it's cover. As I understand it, Pos'n 0 = Off (remove key), Pos'n 1 = Aux., Pos'n 2 = ign. on, Pos'n 3 = crank.

Please would someone correct me if I'm wrong. Tks.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Steering lock problem - please help