S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Considering 07-08 550 purchase

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 Mercedes S550, 2007 Mercedes ML350 4Matic,
Considering 07-08 550 purchase

Hello gents,
I'm considering getting a 07-08 S550. I've had a W220 and thoroughly enjoyed it but now I'm ready for a bigger one. I'm looking for one with 80-90k on the clock. What should I expect? What should I look out for? Let me know what you think!
Thanks!
Old 07-06-2015, 01:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 556 Likes on 473 Posts
2016 C300
I had two 220s before my current 2010. The 221 got a major facelift in 2010 and a lot of stuff that required a P3 package before became standard including the active massage seats. If the budget allows, look for a 2010+.

Maintenance and repair wise it's the usual culprits...Airmatic, the occasional tranny implosion. My 221 has been much more reliable than either 220 was though.

Ride quality is the same, but everything in the 221 is upsized. 20" for the AMG wheel package vs 18" on the 220, etc. Tech is better, but if you plan on using a mobile phone for audio playback make sure the car already has the optional IPod integration kit installed in the glovebox of 07-09. They're impossible to get now. The 2010+ has Ipod and Aux In standard.

Also, the standard stereo (Harman/Kardon) is nowhere near as nice as the Bose in the 220. Unlike the 220 there was an optional Bang & Olfsen upgrade for the 221 but at $6400 there weren't a lot of takers, but if you're lucky you may run in to one.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:51 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2007 S550 4Matic 2009 ML350 4Matic
I can definitely help here as I just bought my car in April.

I recently bought an 07 4Matic and didn't know much about them as I came from Audi's before this car.

1. I would tell you as Mike did to make sure the car comes with a well documented service history. Take the car for a ride at highway speeds! Very important as the air suspension system is notorious for bending/cracking stock rims. If you feel your wheel shake or see the passenger seat shaking slightly, don't just assume the car needs an alignment. Chances are you have at least one bent rim. I have a friend who has a wheel repair business and he told me these cars are one of the biggest culprits of bent rims due to the air suspension. My local Mercedes has confirmed that too. Rims are generally not that expensive to repair. My friend fixes them for $100 each and paints them for an additional $100 a piece.

2. Check the transmission for shifting in both S and C modes ( you can choose which option, Sport or Comfort by pressing the button on your center console). While on this forum, I have read a few people say they've had to replace their tranny before 100,000 miles.

3. Make sure the car rides smooth over bumps and speed bumps if you can. My car seems to crash a bit at low speeds while going over bumps and probably can use new airbags (hence why these cars are known to bend rims) for a smoother low speed/around town ride. I expected a much nicer ride out of my car. It's not that impressive around town honestly once you hit some bumps or go over train track crossings...Higher speeds it's nice.

4. Look for options (that I wish I did get with mine) such as the Ipod kit in the glovebox or you will have to use CD's if your player even works or recognizes your cd's. Mine doesnt read any cd's (who would even think to check a cd player as that is basically outdated today). I ended up downloading all my itunes onto an sd card and got an adapter to make that work. Until I figured that out with the help of Mike from this forum, I was listening to the radio for the first two weeks of ownership which was not enjoyable. It seemed like the car was musically challenged before this. Speakers are ok, nothing special...

5. A push button start with keyless entry would have been great,

6. Satellite ready radio which mine does not have

7. A trunk that not only opens by remote, but closes by remote too (it helps a lot when your hands are full with grocery bags).

8. I also would have bought a car with reclining rear seats had I known better as they are really nice. With that feature, the headrests can also go up with the touch of a button, whereas if you dont have the reclining seat option, they can only go down with a touch of a button and you have to raise them up by hand.

You would think for a $100,000 vehicle, these cars would have came fully loaded, but I have learned from my car and this forum that Mercedes is a serious penny pincher...sad really

I believe all the above mentioned were available options for the 07 to 09 years. So try to get a fully loaded car if these options appeal to you...

I absolutely love my car even without the above mentioned. The power is great, brakes are good, prestige is unmatched, gas mileage is really not bad at all and the interior comfort is amazing. I don't think I would ever go back to an Audi after owning an S class! Attention to detail is impressive for what the car does offer. The leather is supple and the seats hug you like you are sitting in your favorite living room chair. I even admire the metal buttons for the windows as opposed to Audi's plastic buttons...

Last edited by MonroeHandyMan; 07-06-2015 at 10:50 AM.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:58 AM

Another thing is to make sure your Navigation and Command system is fully updated by Mercedes as that can cost you a pretty penny as well. The updates are not free. Just to throw a fart in a Mercedes Dealership will cost you $250
Old 07-06-2015, 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 134 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
Originally Posted by MonroeHandyMan

7. A trunk that not only opens by remote, but closes by remote too (it helps a lot when your hands are full with grocery bags).
I have device that will let you close the trunk by remote for 07-09. I was upset as I tried to install it on the 2010-2013 but can't get it to work as the wiring is different.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Jason B
I have device that will let you close the trunk by remote for 07-09. I was upset as I tried to install it on the 2010-2013 but can't get it to work as the wiring is different.
Lay it on me brother
Old 07-09-2015, 07:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 134 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
Shoot me an email or a text. and I'll send you the PDF. It's around $150.
Old 07-09-2015, 04:40 PM

Sent you a text Jason...
Old 10-25-2016, 11:50 AM

It's been quite some time but I got one! Went with a 2008 S550 with 98k on the clock, Prior CPO (certified used). Rebuilt transmission with warranty. In the process of replacing my front struts (I do it myself).
This car is brilliant. Much more impressive (tech wise) than my old W220.

I have the night vision package, dynamic seating, sat radio, F&R sensors with camera, iPod hookup, bluetooth, Rear dual screen DVD package, automatic trunk lid, massaging seats, and more. She has just about everything i wanted besides the rear seating package

What a fabulous machine she is. Boy have I missed the S-Classes. Ive put over 7k on the clock already and the car has performed FLAWLESSLY. straight as an arrow, hands off the wheel on I95 and she wont budge!
Old 10-27-2016, 11:11 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2012 w221
Originally Posted by Elithrift
It's been quite some time but I got one! Went with a 2008 S550 with 98k on the clock, Prior CPO (certified used). Rebuilt transmission with warranty. In the process of replacing my front struts (I do it myself).
This car is brilliant. Much more impressive (tech wise) than my old W220.

I have the night vision package, dynamic seating, sat radio, F&R sensors with camera, iPod hookup, bluetooth, Rear dual screen DVD package, automatic trunk lid, massaging seats, and more. She has just about everything i wanted besides the rear seating package

What a fabulous machine she is. Boy have I missed the S-Classes. Ive put over 7k on the clock already and the car has performed FLAWLESSLY. straight as an arrow, hands off the wheel on I95 and she wont budge!
Why would you be looking for a high mileage S class to begin with? Just for the lower price or what ?
Old 10-27-2016, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 182 Likes on 152 Posts
s550 Diamond white amg pano
Originally Posted by MonroeHandyMan
I can definitely help here as I just bought my car in April.

I recently bought an 07 4Matic and didn't know much about them as I came from Audi's before this car.

1. I would tell you as Mike did to make sure the car comes with a well documented service history. Take the car for a ride at highway speeds! Very important as the air suspension system is notorious for bending/cracking stock rims. If you feel your wheel shake or see the passenger seat shaking slightly, don't just assume the car needs an alignment. Chances are you have at least one bent rim. I have a friend who has a wheel repair business and he told me these cars are one of the biggest culprits of bent rims due to the air suspension. My local Mercedes has confirmed that too. Rims are generally not that expensive to repair. My friend fixes them for $100 each and paints them for an additional $100 a piece.

2. Check the transmission for shifting in both S and C modes ( you can choose which option, Sport or Comfort by pressing the button on your center console). While on this forum, I have read a few people say they've had to replace their tranny before 100,000 miles.

3. Make sure the car rides smooth over bumps and speed bumps if you can. My car seems to crash a bit at low speeds while going over bumps and probably can use new airbags (hence why these cars are known to bend rims) for a smoother low speed/around town ride. I expected a much nicer ride out of my car. It's not that impressive around town honestly once you hit some bumps or go over train track crossings...Higher speeds it's nice.

4. Look for options (that I wish I did get with mine) such as the Ipod kit in the glovebox or you will have to use CD's if your player even works or recognizes your cd's. Mine doesnt read any cd's (who would even think to check a cd player as that is basically outdated today). I ended up downloading all my itunes onto an sd card and got an adapter to make that work. Until I figured that out with the help of Mike from this forum, I was listening to the radio for the first two weeks of ownership which was not enjoyable. It seemed like the car was musically challenged before this. Speakers are ok, nothing special...

5. A push button start with keyless entry would have been great,

6. Satellite ready radio which mine does not have

8. I also would have bought a car with reclining rear seats had I known better as they are really nice. With that feature, the headrests can also go up with the touch of a button, whereas if you dont have the reclining seat option, they can only go down with a touch of a button and you have to raise them up by hand.

You would think for a $100,000 vehicle, these cars would have came fully loaded, but I have learned from my car and this forum that Mercedes is a serious penny pincher...sad really

I believe all the above mentioned were available options for the 07 to 09 years. So try to get a fully loaded car if these options appeal to you...

I absolutely love my car even without the above mentioned. The power is great, brakes are good, prestige is unmatched, gas mileage is really not bad at all and the interior comfort is amazing. I don't think I would ever go back to an Audi after owning an S class! Attention to detail is impressive for what the car does offer. The leather is supple and the seats hug you like you are sitting in your favorite living room chair. I even admire the metal buttons for the windows as opposed to Audi's plastic buttons...
If it crashes at low speeds and over rr's your bags are def toast.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by T.H.Carrera
Why would you be looking for a high mileage S class to begin with? Just for the lower price or what ?
With respect to a certain budget. You can go for a stripped down model with no options, a rebuild, an example in very poor condition, or you can go for one with higher miles.

My goal was to be under $20,000. I bought from dealer auction. I knew the features I wanted come on higher spec 550s and I wanted a car with a complete service history in 9/10 condition with work done only at MB.
My sacrifice was to go for higher miles and replace all the wearable parts myself (airmatic struts etc.). I got the car for a deal and I spent the savings replacing struts and rebuild transmission. Since the car was a previous CPO, I can see exactly what needs attention. So now when I'm ready for a different car in a year or two, I'll sell it, considering my financial position in the car, recoup 90% of my investment and move on to the next car. There's a formula to it but I've been doing this for a few years now and it's worked well.
I enjoy this over spending full retail for a low mileage, 10/10 example and bury myself in it for the next several years. Sometimes it just takes some patience. This thread makes a good example. I waited about a year for the right one.