Sponsored By:

GLE 450 Eco Start Failure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 08:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black 'O8 SL55, Black GL450 loaded
GLE 450 Eco Start Failure

I've got a 2016 GLE450 purchased December 2015. We've had numerous Eco Start failures on the vehicle and after 2 visits to MB service, no current fix is available.

Our next steps are predictable - simply posting to let anyone else who is experiencing the same issue know you are not alone. Our local service advisor has been told by another manager from a larger market, the problem is not unique to our vehicle.
Old 05-13-2016, 04:18 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
GLE450 Coupe and C300w4
Get it fixed one more time and then you're eligible for a new Coupe. Check the lemon laws in your state...
Old 05-13-2016, 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Euro Cars Only
Got a sudden urge to listen to Daft Punk after the last post
Old 05-14-2016, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by heron25
Get it fixed one more time and then you're eligible for a new Coupe. Check the lemon laws in your state...
No reason to bring it back, they've admitted they have no fix for the problem. We'll let the legal process work itself out. Our state laws (LA) are very clear and pro-consumer in this regard.

What I don't understand though, MB has cost itself a loyal customer who has purchased several new vehicles in the last 15 years. Rather than just make it right, they're simply going to cost themselves thousands in legal fees, lose a customer and STILL have to make it right in the end.

Adios Mercedes - been nice knowin' ya.
Old 05-15-2016, 12:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Exactly what kind of "ECO start failure" did you run into ? Failure to restart after ECO stop ?

Please understand that failure of ECO restart in my experience will be quite "rare" - meaning I have not personally seen one yet - I am not saying it can't happen - I am saying my service dept has not seen it or they would have reported it to me..

Frankly - if you don't have satisfaction with your local MB service adviser/dept - then next step with the facts in hand (ie most recent service invoice) is to call Mercedes Customer Care M-F during normal business hours (800) 367-6372 - and your factual report there starts a 2nd/channel thru MB to management at that dealership for their management response to you within 24-48 hrs..

Yes - LA has quite straightforward Lemon Law - unless your Mb has been out of service for cumulative total 45 calendar days on this issue - OR there needs to have been FOUR service attempts by the dealer/manufacturer to repair the nonconforming issue AND the manufacturer has the right to come to a informal/non-court settlement with your agreement before you file the action for refund/replacement.

Keep the beat !
The following users liked this post:
Eubios (05-16-2016)
Old 05-15-2016, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Exactly what kind of "ECO start failure" did you run into ? Failure to restart after ECO stop ?

Please understand that failure of ECO restart in my experience will be quite "rare" - meaning I have not personally seen one yet - I am not saying it can't happen - I am saying my service dept has not seen it or they would have reported it to me..

Frankly - if you don't have satisfaction with your local MB service adviser/dept - then next step with the facts in hand (ie most recent service invoice) is to call Mercedes Customer Care M-F during normal business hours (800) 367-6372 - and your factual report there starts a 2nd/channel thru MB to management at that dealership for their management response to you within 24-48 hrs..

Yes - LA has quite straightforward Lemon Law - unless your Mb has been out of service for cumulative total 45 calendar days on this issue - OR there needs to have been FOUR service attempts by the dealer/manufacturer to repair the nonconforming issue AND the manufacturer has the right to come to a informal/non-court settlement with your agreement before you file the action for refund/replacement.

Keep the beat !
While it may be rare, it has happened on this "new" vehicle so many times I've lost count. Yes, the ignition fails to re-start, the car actually "dies", has to be put in park, and the car re-started. It's an obvious safety issue, when trying to accelerate across an intersection with oncoming traffic for example.

I did contact MB customer care - they were of no help despite my service adviser assuring me they are aware of the problem. My local service dept. has told me they have no solution to the problem but are awaiting a "fix" from MB. In fact, I was instructed to turn off Eco Start each time I drive the vehicle to avoid the problem - clearly not a satisfactory solution. Therefore, there is no reason to bring the car back at this point.

While I don't expect "special" treatment, this is the 8th MB I've purchased in the last 15 years and far from the most expensive (MSRP about 88K). Thankfully, my local dealership and service adviser are being transparent about the issue. MB customer care has failed.
Old 05-17-2016, 07:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
If dealer management (Sales Manager or General Manager) has not contacted you directly - the call MB Customer Support and tell them you want to start a Buyback started right away due to Safety Issues - and get a "ticket #" from the MB Customer agent from that call.

Then call the dealership - ask for the Sales Manager or General manager - with that ticket # tell them you want the Buyback process started right away due to safety issues

Once at that level with MB and with the dealer - based on SAFETY ISSUE - the process can move faster along than mechanical.

I am sorry this has happened with you and your family - SAFETY comes 1st !
Old 06-06-2016, 06:06 PM

gle450 coupe
Hey guys I picked mine up in march. having eco start issue and keyless entry does not work all the time.
Also in super sport mode the shifting is very clunky. Is this normal?
Old 06-07-2016, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by techtexas
Hey guys I picked mine up in march. having eco start issue and keyless entry does not work all the time.
PM sent -

We're not alone although it seems that's what MBUSA would lead you to believe.
Old 06-10-2016, 05:57 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
GLE350d
Originally Posted by techtexas
Do you mean it won't unlock when you pull the leaver? My issue is that sometimes it won't lock when I touch the handle.
Old 06-22-2016, 10:56 AM

2016 GLE 450 Coupe
Hah!?? ...and I blamed my wife for it?!! ... A month back my wife was driving my GLEc for the first time, and when we stopped at the traffic light, the car went dead with all the dashboard lights on. I thought, of cause, she did something, even if I could not understand how... , but now I see it is an issue, safety issue and scary one!!

Thank you for posting!

Did dealer come up with something?

P.S. going to get some flowers tonight...

P.P.S. And BTW, the left rear top door molding fell off... /)
Old 06-23-2016, 09:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 442 Likes on 306 Posts
19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
Is this the same issue?

http://www.autotrader.ca/newsfeature...2AcgI5jdwkF.97
Old 06-24-2016, 04:55 PM

gle450 coupe
Sure is. Let's see if this really fixes the issue.
meanwhile the still have not resolved the key less entry.
Old 06-24-2016, 04:56 PM

gle450 coupe
Originally Posted by Kwando
Do you mean it won't unlock when you pull the leaver? My issue is that sometimes it won't lock when I touch the handle.
yes unlock or lock.
they're saying its caused by switching between using the remote and touching the handle.
no fix just yet
Old 07-06-2016, 07:19 AM

GLE450 Coupe and C300w4
Just received my recall notice yesterday for the ECO start/stop failure. Will take in next week.
Old 07-07-2016, 01:51 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
16 GLE400, 16 eGolf, 15 M3, 13 328i, 06 S430, 98 E320
Originally Posted by heron25
Just received my recall notice yesterday for the ECO start/stop failure. Will take in next week.
Is this a recall for all GLE or specific to your vehicle? Would you mind posting up the recall letter you received? I am hoping that if they find this as faulty and recalling it, they would implement a way for you to permanently shutoff the ECO mode, just like what BMW did. Thanks.
Old 07-07-2016, 11:09 AM

GLE450 Coupe and C300w4
letter states, "a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain Model Year 2016 GLE Coupe vehicles." Goes on to mention it's a software update and dealer will need the car for the entire day. NHTSA Recall# 16v440 and MB Recall Campaign# 2016060007, Engine Control Unit Software Update.
The following users liked this post:
davezaristo (07-08-2016)
Old 07-10-2016, 11:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2016 GLE 450 AMG coupe, 2015, C300 sedan
My recall letter states that the repair only requires 30 minutes. They're reflashing the ECU. Maybe the rest of the day they'll need it to road test a la Ferris Bueller
Old 07-11-2016, 10:56 AM

GLE450 Coupe and C300w4
Yeah, miswrote it. Letter doesn't say anything about time, dealer said they'd need it for the day. 30 minutes at the end of the day is when they'll probably do it. They do wash and detail the car for me for free, so I can't complain.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:22 AM

GLE450 Coupe and C300w4
So, It seems that I'm getting about 2mpg less after getting the software updated to correct the eco start failure. I haven't changed my gas station, octane level or driving style. Anyone else notice this after the correction?