GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

iPhone Media Interface Cable?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL550
iPhone Media Interface Cable?

Trying to hook up an older iPhone 4s for the kids (loaded with movies) but our model year GL (2015) comes with the Media Interface Cable with the lightning connector which does not work with the 4s (30 pin). I have also read that the lightning connector is only digital and would not support the analog signal coming from the older iPhones anyway.

Just curious if I were to buy the previous cable a few model years back that has the 30 pin connector if that would work? Something like this maybe: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-to-2015...hU83i8&vxp=mtr

These are the two posts that I have been reading and re-reading but can't really make heads or tails as to whether anyone has gotten this to work....

https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...014-gl450.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...ml#post6276198

The first thread basically says only way to get it to work is hook up using AV adapter kit to rear dvd system and then using BT audio (possibly to work through car speakers).

The second thread gives the idea that someone actually got both video and audio to work using the media interface cable but only talks about certain generations of iPods and not sure if it will work with the 4s or not.

Can anyone provide an update if this works or not?

Thanks....

Last edited by TechEast; 09-27-2016 at 03:27 PM.
Old 09-27-2016, 04:34 PM

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts
2014 ML350 2w, 2017 GLS550, 1967 Pontiac GTO 4 sp
What is on the other end of the lightning cable, i.e. how does it plug into the console? We just got a '14 ML350 with the 30 pin connector. One end is male and the other female. I bought a 30 pin to lightning adapter to see if I can connect up my SE and my wife's 6. I guess the point of this is to make the steering wheel controls work the phone. I haven't tried bluetooth for a/v yet, just the phone. I think the steering wheel controls in my Durango control the iPhone when it is bluetooth connected for a/v. You can take a ride to a dealer to see if you can borrow a 30 pin but that depends on how it connects to the console, hence my question above.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:55 PM

GL550
Originally Posted by pjw1967
What is on the other end of the lightning cable, i.e. how does it plug into the console?
pjw1967-

One end is the proprietary connection from MB that plugs into the slot in the middle console and the other end is the apple lightning connector end that goes to the iPhone: https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Merce.../dp/B00J0FQVBI

But like I stated the iPhone 4s does not take the lightning connector but instead is the old 30 pin. I was also thinking maybe I could try something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/151452753386?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true
I doubt that it would work though....any thoughts?
Old 09-27-2016, 09:59 PM

Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts
2014 GL450
I have the old 30pin connector for my 2014 GL450. It is connected to an old iPod 60GB from around 2003 (??). I have some videos on it (MP4) and they do play on the (nav) screen (I don't have the rear entertainment video screen).

However, like with playing DVD with the built in player, it will only do so when in Park. With DVD playback, you can unlock it with VIM but I'm not sure if that will also enable playback via the iPod/iPhone 30pin interface.

Does this answer your question? The cable on mine is supposedly OEM. Mine was a CPO and the previous owner did not leave it behind. So the dealership ordered a replacement for me. I had asked for a lightning cable but they said 30pin was what came with the vehicle.
The following users liked this post:
Grey.Spectre (09-29-2016)
Old 09-28-2016, 09:27 AM

GL550
Originally Posted by jlim
I have the old 30pin connector for my 2014 GL450. It is connected to an old iPod 60GB from around 2003 (??). I have some videos on it (MP4) and they do play on the (nav) screen (I don't have the rear entertainment video screen).

However, like with playing DVD with the built in player, it will only do so when in Park. With DVD playback, you can unlock it with VIM but I'm not sure if that will also enable playback via the iPod/iPhone 30pin interface.

Does this answer your question? The cable on mine is supposedly OEM. Mine was a CPO and the previous owner did not leave it behind. So the dealership ordered a replacement for me. I had asked for a lightning cable but they said 30pin was what came with the vehicle.
Thanks Jim for the feedback. It sounds like using the old 30 pin connector might be a possibility. Of course then I have to contend with COMAND and the rear entertainment throwing a wrench in the mix

Not sure if that will make any difference but I guess it's worth a shot. Do you happen to have the part # for the 30 pin media interface cable so I can make sure I get the correct one?
Old 09-28-2016, 09:43 AM

2014 GL450
The link you included above on eBay appears to be the correct item. I should still have the packaging material from my cable. I'll look for it and follow up if I do find it.
Old 09-28-2016, 05:10 PM

2015 E63 S AMG

Your post caught my eye... I just picked up a 2014 GL450 the other day, and I too have an older iPod with the 30 pin, mine is an 80GB. How are you getting it to play video? I've tried plugging it in with both the 30 pin, and the 3.5mm from the headphone jack, and I can't seem to get it. How did you get it to work? Thanks!
Old 09-28-2016, 05:30 PM

2014 GL450
The 3.5mm is actually a video/audio combo. I have yet to figure out how to get that to work. I bought a 4 pin AV cable for a DVD player but couldn't output the video from DVD player to the COMAND screen.

Anyway, back to the iPod in question, not all MP4 files will play. I have 6 videos on the old iPod from 2003 but one of them will not play. It is more of a novelty for me at this point so didn't dig around too much on the file differences. Basically, to play, I select VIDEO and then pick the media interface device as input. Most likely it will not show you a list of playable files. That's ok. It may even switch to AUDIO input instead. Just do a search and select video. It shows up as ALL/ALL on mine. Picking ALL again it will then show me the list of videos found on the iPod player. From there I pick the video files and it'll play.

This is from memory. If you still can't get it to work, let me know and I can make a short video when I'm at the car.
Old 09-28-2016, 05:35 PM

2015 E63 S AMG
The 3.5mm is actually a video/audio combo. I have yet to figure out how to get that to work. I bought a 4 pin AV cable for a DVD player but couldn't output the video from DVD player to the COMAND screen.

Anyway, back to the iPod in question, not all MP4 files will play. I have 6 videos on the old iPod from 2003 but one of them will not play. It is more of a novelty for me at this point so didn't dig around too much on the file differences. Basically, to play, I select VIDEO and then pick the media interface device as input. Most likely it will not show you a list of playable files. That's ok. It may even switch to AUDIO input instead. Just do a search and select video. It shows up as ALL/ALL on mine. Picking ALL again it will then show me the list of videos found on the iPod player. From there I pick the video files and it'll play.

This is from memory. If you still can't get it to work, let me know and I can make a short video when I'm at the car.
Appreciate the reply! Maybe that's my problem... The only input options I see, when I'm in VIDEO, are DVD and AUX. Maybe the package I have doesn't support it? That seems strange though. =/
Old 09-28-2016, 05:44 PM

2014 GL450
Ok. I'm at the car. Clicking on Video, I do see also DVD-Video and Aux. Now move the toggle down to Media which is the bottom row selection. From there you should be able to see the iPod device. Selecting it, it kicks me to Audio.

So I guess it doesn't matter if I'm in video or not in hindsight.

From Audio now, select Search at the bottom row of interface. Scroll all the way to the last item and it says "Videos". Next, select "Movies" then "All" then "All" again. My list of movies are showing up. Selecting one of the movies, it should play.

Old 09-29-2016, 02:24 AM

2015 E63 S AMG
Ok. I'm at the car. Clicking on Video, I do see also DVD-Video and Aux. Now move the toggle down to Media which is the bottom row selection. From there you should be able to see the iPod device. Selecting it, it kicks me to Audio.

From Audio now, select Search at the bottom row of interface. Scroll all the way to the last item and it says "Videos". Next, select "Movies" then "All" then "All" again. My list of movies are showing up. Selecting one of the movies, it should play.
You are my hero! That totally worked for me. I would have never even thought to try it that way, so thank you very much. Now to e-mail VIM, to see if their bypass will work for this too, not just the DVD input.
Old 10-03-2016, 03:41 PM

GL550

jlim-

I just got my 30 pin media interface cable in from ebay and attempted to hook it up. It shows the source as an iphone under Media like you said and also kicks me to Audio just like you said. The only difference is the Search button is not highlighted so I can not search for any stored movies. If I play the movie physically from the iphone the sound starts playing through the speakers but I can not locate the video as you instructed....any other ideas?

Thanks,
Michael
Old 10-03-2016, 03:46 PM

2014 GL450
Originally Posted by TechEast
jlim-

I just got my 30 pin media interface cable in from ebay and attempted to hook it up. It shows the source as an iphone under Media like you said and also kicks me to Audio just like you said. The only difference is the Search button is not highlighted so I can not search for any stored movies. If I play the movie physically from the iphone the sound starts playing through the speakers but I can not locate the video as you instructed....any other ideas?

Thanks,
Michael
I don't have an iPhone 4S to try out. Perhaps you can try to create a Playlist in iTunes calling it Movies and putting all the movies in that playlist. Then perhaps try to play the movies by selecting a Playlist from COMAND?
Old 10-03-2016, 04:47 PM

GL550
I don't have an iPhone 4S to try out. Perhaps you can try to create a Playlist in iTunes calling it Movies and putting all the movies in that playlist. Then perhaps try to play the movies by selecting a Playlist from COMAND?
I do have a folder called Movies already. When I select the app on the homepage called Videos it takes me to the Movie folder I created.

Not sure what you mean by trying to play the movies by selecting a Playlist from COMAND....how do you do that?

Also...any possibility it part of the issue could be that I am on an older OS (8.0.2)? I do have an update available (9.3.5) I just have not installed it yet.....

Thanks,
Michael
Old 10-03-2016, 08:15 PM

2014 GL450
I resurrected an old iPhone 3G with iOS 4.2.1. Connected it via the media accessory cable.

I went to Audio when Media Interface. Under Search, by default it shows me all the media (songs and short movies as well as full length movies). I push the COMAND toggle to the left a few times (5 times) until I'm back at the main/first screen. I scroll all the way to the bottom and I do see Videos.

Selecting Videos, the next screen shows:

- Movies
- Music Videos
- Rented Movies
- TV Shows
- Video Podcasts

selecting Movies, then select All/All (2 times) I now see all my movies. Not all the movies will play though. And there's no sound either. Maybe I need to also connect the 4 pin 3.5mm AUX to get sound.

Interesting you get sound but no video. Make sure you are in park. Else the video will definitely not work.
Old 10-10-2016, 08:54 AM

GL550
I resurrected an old iPhone 3G with iOS 4.2.1. Connected it via the media accessory cable.

I went to Audio when Media Interface. Under Search, by default it shows me all the media (songs and short movies as well as full length movies). I push the COMAND toggle to the left a few times (5 times) until I'm back at the main/first screen. I scroll all the way to the bottom and I do see Videos.

Selecting Videos, the next screen shows:

- Movies
- Music Videos
- Rented Movies
- TV Shows
- Video Podcasts

selecting Movies, then select All/All (2 times) I now see all my movies. Not all the movies will play though. And there's no sound either. Maybe I need to also connect the 4 pin 3.5mm AUX to get sound.

Interesting you get sound but no video. Make sure you are in park. Else the video will definitely not work.
jlim-

Thanks for digging out your old phone and trying it out for me...I appreciate it. Just a quick ? any idea what file format the movies are in on your phone that play (are they mp4, avi, etc)?
Old 10-10-2016, 08:58 AM

2014 GL450
Only MP4 or M4V as I'm playing using the default builtin player.

Those files on the iPod and old iPhones were converted via Handbrake using the individual settings provided (iPod, iPhone).