SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: What a Wonderful Car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 11:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Volvo & Mercedes
What a Wonderful Car

I have been watching Mercedes Source videos by Kent Bergsma on YouTube recently. In one video he made a great point- people usually only post on car forums when their cars are having problems. Rarely do they post when everything is fine.

I'd like to add a positive- I love my car-post:

I have put about 700 miles on the car recently and have loved every minute of it. With the summer finally arriving in New England, I have been enjoying long distance driving at night with the top down. I had never tried that before for any significant distance. I drove up to Maine tonight, timing it so I would arrive just as the light began to vanish.

The Maine Turnpike was mostly empty, which was lovely. I stopped for fuel in Kennebunk and decided to really floor it to merge on to the empty highway. The trans. and engine mounts were replaced last week and what a difference it has made. I thought it was good before but now it is like silk. Anyway, the tach pinged off 6k and the engine made a wondrous growl that I have only heard a few times before.

I could feel the power being delivered to the wheels just a foot or so from my hip. Every shift was smooth and flawless and the control these cars have at higher speeds if phenomenal. Everything was composed and civilized- except for me. I was giggling.

I had been reading reviews of 129s and a review from a few years ago mentioned that these cars perform better when the driver follows through with their intent. Obvious advice but I do tend to baby the car. So I made a point to push the pedal with intent until my goal is achieved. Wow! Firmly depressing the accelerator quickly made the car seem like a whole new animal instead of the baby feathering that I usually do.

Later on, I needed to pass twice on a back road. Using the same technique I managed to gain speed much faster (shifts and all) and just fell in love with the car over and over again. I was really impressed by how agile and fast a heavy car can be when properly engineered.

As dusk descended, I was taking the spirited turns I always do. Except this time the normally pristine roads apparently had sand on them, which I had not noticed. Taking a tight turn at a downward angle, the right front wheel began to slip. Traction control stepped in immediately and the situation was a non-issue before I even noticed a problem.

After parking her in the garage, I just couldn't stop looking at the happy face these cars have and thinking about the past 700 miles. So, when people come to MBWorld and start reading R129 posts, I hope they read this one. My 129 taken me all over the Eastern Seaboard without issue. The small things irritate me like a failed washer fluid pump or a sticky tonneau latch but those mean absolutely nothing when I remind myself of the greater picture of these awesome cars.

I still don't know if I like or dislike the 230 (definitely don't like the tail lights). The 231 upsets my stomach. For me, the quintessential two-seater, no matter the price point, will always be the R129. I was six in 1990 when my neighbor drove home a turquoise 500SL. I was hooked from that moment!
Old 08-05-2014, 03:39 PM

2011 CLS 550, 2001 SL 600, 2009 SL 550, 2000 E 320 Wagon
I agree with everything you mentioned about handling and performance of these cars. I have a small complain though. I have a 2001 SL 600 and the car is just quiet. Granted I have never pushed the car beyond 90 mph (simply because there is no place in LA freeways to push! LOL)
But having 12 cylinders and the car being quiet is not satisfying, unless the real sound deciphers if you are at top speed!
Old 08-12-2014, 02:14 PM

1999 SL500
First time running good

This past weekend was the first time since I got mine that there were no trouble code, check engine lights, or other problems. Previously, the car had a hesitation at 1/3 throttle, and would stumble and cut out at more than 2/3 throttle. Now that those issues are fixed, all I can say is what a great car. The power is addictive, and I was doing in excess of 100 before I knew it. Now time for a nice long road trip.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1987 560SL
Ivy mike

The engine block of the V12 R129 is the same as the Pagani supercar.

I just saw a video where they replaced the stock headers with Pagani headers or Pagani type headers - the sound of the engine accelerating, was absolutely thrilling!!
Old 08-13-2014, 03:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1987 560SL
A friend of mine in the Jag club is recommending the R129 to all his friends.

He says, " it's the best machine I've ever owned" and the " most reliable" by far.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
1990 500sl
I've had 10 progressively more modern MB's in the last 20 years. My current daily driver is a 2011 e550 4matic. I've had loads of other cars too. I'm a dealer and have access to all the wholesale auctions. So as you can tell I usually don't get very attached to cars.

In all that time what's the one car I haven't gotten rid of? My 1992 500SL. The car is the end of an era for MB. Built like an absolute tank. And in unbelievable condition 22 years later.

22 year old AC system is ice cold. Everything works. I've replaced the radio for a more modern CD unit. And added proper (129 part number) 18" staggered amg wheels. I've also had the hydraulic cylinders at the top of the windshield rebuilt bc they started leaking oil.

It's currently at 108k miles and counting. And the only thing I would consider replacing it with is one of the later r129's.

Take care,

George
Attached Thumbnails What a Wonderful Car-image-2954675290.jpg  
Old 04-30-2015, 02:09 AM

1995 SL500 Convertible
Originally Posted by RWDvelocity
I have been watching Mercedes Source videos by Kent Bergsma on YouTube recently. In one video he made a great point- people usually only post on car forums when their cars are having problems. Rarely do they post when everything is fine.

I'd like to add a positive- I love my car-post:

I have put about 700 miles on the car recently and have loved every minute of it. With the summer finally arriving in New England, I have been enjoying long distance driving at night with the top down. I had never tried that before for any significant distance. I drove up to Maine tonight, timing it so I would arrive just as the light began to vanish.

The Maine Turnpike was mostly empty, which was lovely. I stopped for fuel in Kennebunk and decided to really floor it to merge on to the empty highway. The trans. and engine mounts were replaced last week and what a difference it has made. I thought it was good before but now it is like silk. Anyway, the tach pinged off 6k and the engine made a wondrous growl that I have only heard a few times before.

I could feel the power being delivered to the wheels just a foot or so from my hip. Every shift was smooth and flawless and the control these cars have at higher speeds if phenomenal. Everything was composed and civilized- except for me. I was giggling.

I had been reading reviews of 129s and a review from a few years ago mentioned that these cars perform better when the driver follows through with their intent. Obvious advice but I do tend to baby the car. So I made a point to push the pedal with intent until my goal is achieved. Wow! Firmly depressing the accelerator quickly made the car seem like a whole new animal instead of the baby feathering that I usually do.

Later on, I needed to pass twice on a back road. Using the same technique I managed to gain speed much faster (shifts and all) and just fell in love with the car over and over again. I was really impressed by how agile and fast a heavy car can be when properly engineered.

As dusk descended, I was taking the spirited turns I always do. Except this time the normally pristine roads apparently had sand on them, which I had not noticed. Taking a tight turn at a downward angle, the right front wheel began to slip. Traction control stepped in immediately and the situation was a non-issue before I even noticed a problem.

After parking her in the garage, I just couldn't stop looking at the happy face these cars have and thinking about the past 700 miles. So, when people come to MBWorld and start reading R129 posts, I hope they read this one. My 129 taken me all over the Eastern Seaboard without issue. The small things irritate me like a failed washer fluid pump or a sticky tonneau latch but those mean absolutely nothing when I remind myself of the greater picture of these awesome cars.

I still don't know if I like or dislike the 230 (definitely don't like the tail lights). The 231 upsets my stomach. For me, the quintessential two-seater, no matter the price point, will always be the R129. I was six in 1990 when my neighbor drove home a turquoise 500SL. I was hooked from that moment!
What a nice idea!!!

I feel so much like you do. I just joined this forum after lurking on this and several others for about 4 months now.

I've been a Mercedes lover and owner for years and have owned a couple of SLs that I always regretted getting rid of for whatever reason, normally to please my current husband or boyfriend at the time who didn't really understand my deep devotion and love of SLs. I've also had a beautiful 300 SDL that was so gorgeous everyone used to call it my Rolls Royce. Not too many years back I bought a new CLK 430 and was so disappointed in the way it handled. It just didn't seem like a real mercedes to me.

I didn't think I'd ever buy another one because I didn't want a 'Chrysler version', although I had one Chrysler LeBaron I truly loved. But never like my little SLs. I sincerely hope no one will take offense to this remark as I know that MB still builds wonderful automobiles, just that they don't drive (to me) like the older models, hugging the road, feeling heavy under your hands, that feeling that only the older model roadsters give you.

I missed having a mercedes and having a convertible. I have an older model 1993 El Dorado (Red) that I really love. Less than 100K miles on it and drives like a dream. I will keep it for times when I have more than two people in my car and also because i really do love it too.

But not like the SL.

Last December I found a beautiful little '95 SL500 at a great price in pristeen condition. Only thing wrong was the top didn't go down. LOL I got that fixed for $300 and it's perfect now. I do need a new magazine for the CD player but that's no biggie.

But, like you, I LOVE LOVE LOVE my R129!

And no....I wouldn't trade it now for anything. I have put almost 4K miles on it since I bought it just taking it for pleasure drives. I'm going to drive it from Phoenix to San Diego in a couple of months. I'm really looking forward to that and I know my new little baby is too. (my car not a kid lol)

But just wanted to chime in here cause I saw your post and thought it was really cool to say something positive.

Enjoy your R129. They really just don't make cars like these anymore! We are very lucky!

Cheers!!!

Jazz