SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: How to "disarm" the clock? Desperate for a solution.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 10:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to "disarm" the clock? Desperate for a solution.

Sometime ago while setting the clock in my 1990 SL, the hands on the clock both hands started turning continuously, and all efforts since then to stop the clock have failed. Different mechanics have tried fiddling with the adjuster, etc....but without success.

It appears to me that the fuse controlling the clock also controls other important functions. So, unless I disconnect the battery, the battery will simply run down quickly to full discharge.

I neither need nor want the clock to operate. This is so frustrating, and any suggestions on disarming the clock permanently would be very, very much appreciated.
Thanks
Old 12-14-2015, 05:18 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
94 SL 600, 98 993, 89 XJS Conv., 85 Daimlier Princess 16 Hybrid Lincoln 16 Chevy crewcab
My guess! the point connection in the instrument panel would be the place to disconnect but have no clue as to the wire to "cut". The cluster can pull forward, after the steering wheel is moved forward and tipped down. the entire plastic panel comes in one unit.
Some of us DIY find it easier to get under the dash by moving the knee pad panel and getting a small hand on the backside of the cluster and push it out. my experience is there is less plastic breakage or cracks! Friction holds the panel. the wiring is flexible but not unlimited!! It has inches to move not meters.
My experience tells me cut nothing until you're sure you can afford to have an expert rewire and replace all the expensive items that will break !!!
where in the world are you?
Old 01-25-2016, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 SL500
I have the same problem with my 1990 SL. What fuse powers it?