SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Advice on a '97 SL500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 10:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2018 Golf R DSG
Advice on a '97 SL500

Hello all, I'm considering buying a '97 SL500 Sport that I've located with just over 80k miles. It looks to be in great shape, and the carfax shows the PO regularly took it to the Mercedes dealer for servicing and work the entire time they owned it which I know is crucial on these cars. My question is, at $9k is this car a good buy?

Don't crucify me, but I've pretty much driven Japanese or American cars all my life. I like the looks and stuff of cars like this SL500 and other Mercedes and the like, but I get scared away by all the high repair costs that I usually hear about. A few years ago I remember coming across some guide written by a forum user, maybe it was here or elsewhere, but they espoused how great the R129's were for reliability. I thought this was great, because I really like the looks and despite being an older car now I think they still look classic and timeless.

If I were to buy this car, am I going to be spending $1-2k every year for maintenance? Is it more realistic that it doesn't need repairs or even anything besides standard maintenance (rotors, pads, tires, fluids, etc.) most years and once in a blue moon something will break and need servicing? My current Japanese car basically just takes oil changes and that's it. In 3 years I have owned it even though I bought it with 140k miles on it (Now has 155k), I have not needed to replace anything besides rear rotors and brake pads, and a new set of tires but I knew that going into it. I am happy with this level of maintenance, because if something goes wrong on it, I won't be too stressed that I need to fix it.

Can you R129 guys steer a newb in the right direction here? Are these R129's reliable compared to other Mercedes, or compared to other cars flat out? I have particular concerns since these cost north of $90k new, it seems hard to believe that repairs wouldn't cost a fortune on it. But I'm the kind of person who'd like to drive a car to 200k miles if I like it and then maybe replace with something else.

Here's the link to the car on cars.com. The only thing that looks questionable to me is that piece sticking out on the driver side? Also I would of course ask if they have the hardtop, but the description lists that they do but I know none of that is anything to go by until you talk to a human.
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...4753/overview/

Last edited by Vistance; 05-25-2016 at 10:21 AM.
Old 05-25-2016, 01:03 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
94 SL 600, 98 993, 89 XJS Conv., 85 Daimlier Princess 16 Hybrid Lincoln 16 Chevy crewcab
Never bought from the dealer, but know several that have. Good reputation.
The price is good for the dealer. However I have turned down offers for my SL 600 at about twice the price. So price is relative.
IMHO, 81K miles is not an issue.
The car can be a daily driver. I do not, so the cost of repair is use guided. When a system goes down the car is expensive to purchase parts and if you are paying labor at MB rate you can drop 5-10K easy.
The dealer should have the HT or obtain one. I'm not sure about any future market value. A pagoda benz I sold 10 years ago is 6X the price, I even made minor money on the vehicle but it is crazy profit now!
I think 7.5K would be a good price for both you and dealer.
I hope you have financial resources for long term ownership.
Old 05-25-2016, 01:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2018 Golf R DSG
What sort of money is needed to have this kind of car? I'm really not that aware of their operational costs. On my American cars, maybe once every 2 years something might break or need replacing. A belt here, a pump there, usually nothing exceeding $500. I've heard about setting aside something like $1,500-2k a year for unexpected repairs on some German makes, but that's where I'm asking if R129's are the same. The impression I got previously was that they didn't require that amount of service work. I have the means, but not really the desire to have to service my car with such regularity. I don't really know what that entails, but like I said oil changes, brakes, maybe a belt or something, sparkplugs, about the extent of regular maintenance I want to do.
Old 05-25-2016, 01:48 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
94 SL 600, 98 993, 89 XJS Conv., 85 Daimlier Princess 16 Hybrid Lincoln 16 Chevy crewcab
Any vehicle, aircraft or boat is use related, in my experience. Any vintage issues are related to time, My modern vehicles do not have that issue.
I have oil change twice a year ( oxidation issues//) drive less than 5K a year
I have invested in replacement of ECU, E gas modules, throttle body mods, nitrogen spheres, top hydraulics, numerous plastic parts. this is the start of the list. The suspension spheres and throttle body, have been replace more than once. I use a10-15 year life span. The Bose system has been rebuilt. I have replaced the front bumper cover because of curb stops ( 2.4K )
I have hose and belts replaced at the 5 year mark. the replaced items are used for emergency, western Kansas repair, but have never been used! that "insurance" cost about $500.
In 20 years 4 times I have spent more that 15K to repair/restore. Last visit for a LHM cost about 7K.
I like my toys and I am willing to support it. Of the 11 vehicles in the car barn my modern's are daily drivers (Avalon, Crosstek, and Silverado) and long trip machines. Love all the safety and electronic wizard stuff!