SL/R230: AUX audio input - need DC power

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-25-2002, 08:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Question AUX audio input - need DC power

Finally there is an Auxiliary audio input in the glove compartment that I can use with my iPod (mp3 player)!

Great stuff, but I am looking for pulling some DC power so I can close the glove compartment and make this look neat.

I am looking for switched (ignition) power that I know I can get from the lighter socket, but I don't want to take half the car apart. I used to tap the glove compartment light socket but unlike older models, it is not switched and seems to have a return line.

Has anyone done this already (maybe for an radar detector)? Can anyone help me figure this one out? I have looked in the audio forum but there was nothing that related to the new SL's.

Again, I am trying to leave the car as fully assembled as possible.

Thanks!!!

Wolfman
Old 12-26-2002, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
I tried long and hard to find out from Mercedes what they mean by a "wiring harness connection point" referred to in the manual where it talks about connecting accessories. The answer is nobody knows and they (of course) advise against it. I had this idea that maybe thay had pre-defined points to plug in accessories, but no.

I hard wired a Road Angel (UK GPS speed camera detector) by using a spare position in the fuse box in front of the driver, the picture below shows the new 3A lilac fuse I added. You'll need to obtain the correct connector to feed in from underneath the fuse tray to connect. Alternatively you can tap into existing wiring, for example to the cigar lighter which is switched and find a suitable ground point. I drilled a hole into a mounting bracket for the dash board and used a self-tapping screw and eyelet connector to make a good ground connection.

The fuse box is mounted to the fire-wall, with a large diameter tube running the cables from the fusebox back into the car, so it's very easy to get a wire into the passenger compartment, but in your case, you will need to run it across the dash to the glove box. You might investigate the other fusebox in front of the passenger to see if there's a corresponding take off point.
Old 12-26-2002, 03:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
Here's a picture of the connector you'll need. You crimp the wire on and insert the connector into the fuse block from the underside. Note the barbs which lock it into place. Take Care: you must get the orientation of the connector correct so that the flat blade of the new fuse slides between the spring contacts when inserted.