SL/R230: Another SL roadtest?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2002, 08:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW 535d Touring
Another SL roadtest?

Quote:

"On steel coils, the handling and ride feel more natural, and the ******** more chuckable and responsive to being grabbed by the scruff of the neck, than on the optional air suspension"

".....the air suspension ride is more supple and notably more comfortable over most irregularities, but it does deliver a slightly artificial, floaty feel that creates the perception that there's more initial body roll and less handling poise than the steel setup offers"

Mmm, is this your experience?
Old 12-23-2002, 02:14 PM

who published this test?

My first reaction on driving the SL 500 was the suppleness of the air suspension and as I said here before there seemed virtually no difference between the ride quality of this car with AMG 5 spoke wheels and standard fit 7 spokes.

I should think the difference would be more noticeable with steel springs.
Old 12-23-2002, 09:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
Repeat after me: the SL55 does not have air springs....

The only reason the steel springs may feel more natural is because we're all used to a car leaning towards the outside of a corner when cornering. That's what anti-roll bars are all about, they stiffen the suspension side with the highest load. In this respect, the SL350 will behave "normally" - it will roll with the best of them.

ABC takes this much further and gives a neutral cornering stance which initially feels unnatural for a car like this but it's what drivers of cars with a low centre of gravity and stiff suspension (like an Elise or a Ferrari) are used to. The difference is that the ride quality is brilliant, unlike these other examples which offer a bone-jarring, tooth extracting ride.
Old 12-24-2002, 11:43 AM

I am getting confused with all these reviews. As far as I know, Sl500 and 55 come with ABC suspension, which uses CONVENTIONAL STEEL SPRINGS, along with expensive servos that deliver that magic effect of the car cornering flat.
The SL 350 does not have ABC as standard, so therefore I assume that it uses the Airmatic suspension from the E and S Class. (correct me if I am wrong!) How come too many [experienced?!] mag writers confuse the ABC for having air springing when it does not. It gets me frustrated to look forward to read an article from someone that doesn't know jack more than me about these cars.
Old 12-24-2002, 11:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
benznut, you're correct, this is why all road tests should be treated with caution.

You're also correct that the SL500 and SL55 use conventional coil 'helper' springs to carry the majority of the cars weight and the servos to provide fine tuning to the springing and damping (shock) function.

Without ABC, you can assume there will be fixed springs and dampers, I'd be surprised if it was airmatic. This has been reviewed as delivering good performance but, as you would expect, adding ABC improves the performance even though the cost amd complexity is higher.

I'ver seen the power of ABC with my own eyes. An SL on hard ground, with a lap top plugged in telling it it was on very uneven ground. With the engine running to provide hydraulic power, the car bucked around like some rodeo star compensating for the "uneven" road surface the computer was creating. Truly, incredible to watch. That's the power of ABC.

Last edited by blueSL; 12-24-2002 at 11:54 AM.
Old 12-24-2002, 06:34 PM

BMW 535d Touring
Sorry BlueSL, couldn't resist a Christmas windup.....

The asterisks should be replaced with the following letters.... CAYENNE S. This was a Porsche Cayenne review.

The earlier reviewer of the 350 was wrong in saying it was air suspension. (Which is as bit concerning in a magazine like Autocar!)

I did think the SL350 might react in exactly the same way without ABC, and might be a better car for it, but I now believe the ABC to a very good system on the SL. The Porsche review concluded that the Cayenne S was better without it, but that would make sense with such a high CoG. I'm happy to have the 350 without, but I do not think it should be left off any model above the 350....

Merry Christmas to all and thank you all for your help and kind forebearance in my short time on the site....

Last edited by Mustard; 12-24-2002 at 06:46 PM.
Old 12-25-2002, 03:14 AM

Too Young To Drive
blueSL, impressive isn't it ABC or whatever other technology that delivers the same effect. I've seen a 735Li take a hard bend @ 80+MPH absolutely flat. Pretty impressive, especially that we were in our 740iL, which rolls quite a bit.
Old 12-25-2002, 05:59 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
hey BlueSL do u have a video of that? it must have looked sooo amazing!

hey dna3d.. are u talkin about 7 serier 3.5 liter? like.. the new kind? is it europe only or is it supposed to say 745?
Old 12-26-2002, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Mustard, I forgive you for the Christmas wind-up....

Sorry, vraa, no video!

dNA3D - the way I loook at it, any fixed suspension is a compromised becauses it's optimised for a particualr set of conditions. Adaptive damping has been around for a while and helps, but ABC takes it a whole lot further. Lotus demonstrated similar systems some years ago, but it's taken Mercedes to make it a production reality.

Mustard is right, it's probably not required for the smaller engined cars, but it inspires great confidence in a beast like the SL55.
Old 12-26-2002, 03:34 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by blueSL
Sorry, vraa, no video!
darn.. oh well.. can i borrow the keys to all your cars for a week then? :P

i'll wash them real reall good! lol

*promises he won't hump the car*