Go Back   MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz SLR & SL Roadsters > SL-Class (R230)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

Welcome to MBWorld.org!
Welcome to MBWorld,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!


Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-21-2011, 06:44 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2
Drives: 2004 SL500
Key Not Recognized + Consumer Electronics Offline

I've searched this forum, and there have been similar problems, but I couldn't find my exact issue, so I hope you can help me with this.

I only drive my 2004 SL500 about once a week, and when I do, it's usually just to somewhere like the local grocery store. Every time I drive, the consumer electronics are offline (I get the error message in my display), but they come back on after a few minutes. This has been happening for quite a while, pretty much ever since I stopped driving it every day. So this may be normal, but I'm wondering if it's an indicator of other problems?

For about the last month, my keyless go has no longer worked. I have to stick the fob into the ignition in order to drive. When I try to hit the Start button without the fob in the ignition, I get the "Key not recognized" error message. I've tried it with the fob in many different locations, inside and outside of my purse, in my hand, etc. But I can still lock the car by touching the handle button, or unlock it by touching the handle... usually. It's fairly consistent that I can unlock/lock it normally on the driver side door, but I haven't had much luck with the passenger door or trunk.

I only have one smart key which was newly replaced about 2.5 years ago. I used a battery tester to see that the battery is still good.

Before I go to a dealership, I'm wondering if you have any ideas of what should be checked? From what I gather, I possibly need to:
  • Change the battery in my smart key (even though it tested good)
  • Change my secondary/consumer electronics battery
  • Check the main/starter battery because the consumer battery will auto-disable itself if the main battery is weak
  • Check the alternator or other electrical system?

Any other ideas? I don't know anything about car mechanics, so let me know if I'm off.

Thanks!
To remove this ad, register today or login if you already are registered!

yeezer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 09:54 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 105
Drives: 2005 SL500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeezer1 View Post
I've searched this forum, and there have been similar problems, but I couldn't find my exact issue, so I hope you can help me with this.

I only drive my 2004 SL500 about once a week, and when I do, it's usually just to somewhere like the local grocery store. Every time I drive, the consumer electronics are offline (I get the error message in my display), but they come back on after a few minutes. This has been happening for quite a while, pretty much ever since I stopped driving it every day. So this may be normal, but I'm wondering if it's an indicator of other problems?

For about the last month, my keyless go has no longer worked. I have to stick the fob into the ignition in order to drive. When I try to hit the Start button without the fob in the ignition, I get the "Key not recognized" error message. I've tried it with the fob in many different locations, inside and outside of my purse, in my hand, etc. But I can still lock the car by touching the handle button, or unlock it by touching the handle... usually. It's fairly consistent that I can unlock/lock it normally on the driver side door, but I haven't had much luck with the passenger door or trunk.

I only have one smart key which was newly replaced about 2.5 years ago. I used a battery tester to see that the battery is still good.

Before I go to a dealership, I'm wondering if you have any ideas of what should be checked? From what I gather, I possibly need to:
  • Change the battery in my smart key (even though it tested good)
  • Change my secondary/consumer electronics battery
  • Check the main/starter battery because the consumer battery will auto-disable itself if the main battery is weak
  • Check the alternator or other electrical system?
Any other ideas? I don't know anything about car mechanics, so let me know if I'm off.

Thanks!
It is the battery in the trunk. Buy a CTEK 3330 (battery maintainer) on ebay for $52, connect the battery in the trunk to the CTEK 3300 all the time (except when driven). Problem solved. Do not waste any money on the stealer.Thank you.
sifis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:11 PM   #3
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
AMGfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 4,927
Drives: 06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG la mia Famiglia la Bestia la mia protezione)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sifis View Post
It is the battery in the trunk. Buy a CTEK 3330 (battery maintainer) on ebay for $52, connect the battery in the trunk to the CTEK 3300 all the time (except when driven). Problem solved. Do not waste any money on the stealer.Thank you.
+1
__________________


? R36 GT-R (on early list)
13 ML350
12 GTR Switzer 1900hp
12 Accent
11 'Burban
08 997tt Cab
06 SL65 widebody
97 993tt
97 993 Speedster
95 500ce
89 R32 Skyline
89 930 Turbo (coming soon)
AMGfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:42 PM   #4
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Benz-O-Rama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Maryland
Posts: 8,089
Drives: Eurocharged Stage (1) 2004 E500, Eurocharged/Speedriven ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Agree with the above. I drive my SL600 maybe once a week during the cold months. If it's not connected to my battery tender, I'll get the same messges. Luckily, my car has an MB one, permanantly hard wired.



Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
__________________

2010 CTS 3.6 SportWagon
2004 E500 - Eurocharged ECU, VRP headers and E55 exhaust
2005 SL600 - Eurocharged ECU/Speedriven TCU



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb1g_f_gBA0




Last edited by Benz-O-Rama; 01-22-2011 at 10:45 PM.
Benz-O-Rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:18 PM   #5
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2
Drives: 2004 SL500
Thanks everyone!
yeezer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:30 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 105
Drives: 2005 SL500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeezer1 View Post
Thanks everyone!
You will have to replace the battery in the trunk first, then follow the rest of the steps.
sifis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 01:44 PM   #7
Super Member
 
NCE500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Raleigh NC
Posts: 798
Drives: 2007 E63, 2006 C55
RE: Weak Rear Battery

My car started displaying the "no consumer electronics" more frequently this winter, more bad weather, and resultant less driving probably also made it more apparent.

Last year the car could sit 2 weeks without the message or symptoms. This winter, that window had reduced itself to about 5 days. I had my indie replace the rear battery, no message or symptoms since. Better to have a shop with Star do the swap as disconnecting the battery will cause several codes that should be cleared.

The net is that rear batteries in the 2004 - 2006 cars are nearing end of life, depending on climate, how the car has been used, etc. I'm sure these cars never did this so frequently when new.

The OEM MB rear battery runs about $200, and add a little for install, money well spent IMO.
__________________
2007 E63 Silver/Ash, P2, Pano, Parktronic, trunk closer, loaded
2006 C55, Black/Black, Premium and Lighting Packages, Navi
2011 Corvette Grand Sport Convertible, Silver/Gray/Blue, every option

2005 SL600 Capri Blue/Ash, AMG Package, Distronic, Keyless Go, Pano, Parktronic, TPMS - Sold
NCE500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:45 PM   #8
Member
 
AMG903L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 119
Drives: 2004 E55 AMG
DEV1LSADV0CATE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama View Post
Agree with the above. I drive my SL600 maybe once a week during the cold months. If it's not connected to my battery tender, I'll get the same messges. Luckily, my car has an MB one, permanantly hard wired.



Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Part number for the MB hard wired tender? I need one if it isn't way more than a CTEK.
__________________

04 E55 AMG Designo Graphite Metallic

Options: All
Mods: CM30 & EC HE, Hennessey Pulley, X-Pipe with 2nd Cats & Res Removed, Colder Plugs, Akebono EURO Brake Pads, 265/35 on 18x9 ET39 Front & 295/30 on18x9.5 ET33 Rear on AMG Wheels & V12 evos
Future Mods: Wavetrac LSD, MBH LT Headers, 100 Cell Cats, 82mm TB, 1000cc Injectors, Stage2 Looped Fuel Rail, CF Airbox, CF Inlets, CF Scoops, CF Driveshaft, Lightweight Rotors, ECU and TCU Tune.
AMG903L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:11 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 25
Drives: 2004 SL55
It's exactly the same part. CTEK makes the part for MB and MB jacks the price up. CTEK is the way to go.
04sl55mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:16 PM   #10
Member
 
AMG903L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 119
Drives: 2004 E55 AMG
DEV1LSADV0CATE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04sl55mb View Post
It's exactly the same part. CTEK makes the part for MB and MB jacks the price up. CTEK is the way to go.
CTEK isn't hard wired like the one in the SL600 picture. I don't think MB makes that one anymore. I got desperate and went to the corner auto store and bought a Schumacher XCS15. It looks like a nice unit for $50 but I think I'll order a CTEK 7200 and return the Schumacher XCS15 when it comes in.
Attached Thumbnails
Key Not Recognized + Consumer Electronics Offline-81ohj2emqhl.jpg   Key Not Recognized + Consumer Electronics Offline-81ohj2emqhl2.jpg  
__________________

04 E55 AMG Designo Graphite Metallic

Options: All
Mods: CM30 & EC HE, Hennessey Pulley, X-Pipe with 2nd Cats & Res Removed, Colder Plugs, Akebono EURO Brake Pads, 265/35 on 18x9 ET39 Front & 295/30 on18x9.5 ET33 Rear on AMG Wheels & V12 evos
Future Mods: Wavetrac LSD, MBH LT Headers, 100 Cell Cats, 82mm TB, 1000cc Injectors, Stage2 Looped Fuel Rail, CF Airbox, CF Inlets, CF Scoops, CF Driveshaft, Lightweight Rotors, ECU and TCU Tune.

Last edited by AMG903L; 10-30-2012 at 10:19 PM.
AMG903L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:53 PM   #11
Super Member
 
theunderlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 921
Drives: (SOLD) 05 E55 Estate. 11 Golf TDi
@thenewpegs
I just bought the battery tender jr. I too only drive mine one or twice a week, short distances.
Mine could sit no more than 5 days and it would be dead. Problem solved for 40 bucks.
__________________


theunderlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:43 AM   #12
Member
 
AMG903L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 119
Drives: 2004 E55 AMG
DEV1LSADV0CATE
This looks like a good one if you want to hard wire one in the trunk. It only charges AGM batteries.
Attached Thumbnails
Key Not Recognized + Consumer Electronics Offline-vdc-202012-201-20c-20hr.jpg  
__________________

04 E55 AMG Designo Graphite Metallic

Options: All
Mods: CM30 & EC HE, Hennessey Pulley, X-Pipe with 2nd Cats & Res Removed, Colder Plugs, Akebono EURO Brake Pads, 265/35 on 18x9 ET39 Front & 295/30 on18x9.5 ET33 Rear on AMG Wheels & V12 evos
Future Mods: Wavetrac LSD, MBH LT Headers, 100 Cell Cats, 82mm TB, 1000cc Injectors, Stage2 Looped Fuel Rail, CF Airbox, CF Inlets, CF Scoops, CF Driveshaft, Lightweight Rotors, ECU and TCU Tune.
AMG903L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:57 AM   #13
Member
 
AMG903L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 119
Drives: 2004 E55 AMG
DEV1LSADV0CATE
My car battery was at 82% when I hooked the charger up. After an overnight charge everything worked but still had the Key Not Recognized message and I had to use the key to start it. I replaced the two 2025 batteries in the key and everything was good to go. I replaced the key batteries about a year and a half ago so I will replace them every Halloween from now on.
__________________

04 E55 AMG Designo Graphite Metallic

Options: All
Mods: CM30 & EC HE, Hennessey Pulley, X-Pipe with 2nd Cats & Res Removed, Colder Plugs, Akebono EURO Brake Pads, 265/35 on 18x9 ET39 Front & 295/30 on18x9.5 ET33 Rear on AMG Wheels & V12 evos
Future Mods: Wavetrac LSD, MBH LT Headers, 100 Cell Cats, 82mm TB, 1000cc Injectors, Stage2 Looped Fuel Rail, CF Airbox, CF Inlets, CF Scoops, CF Driveshaft, Lightweight Rotors, ECU and TCU Tune.
AMG903L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:40 PM   #14
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: North Texas
Posts: 47
Drives: 04 Cadillac CTS-V, 04 MB SL600, 99 Mustang GT Anniversary Edition
If you end up needing a battery - Autozone carries AGM batteries and installed it's about $150 versus the much higher cost of the dealer battery. The front battery different story - had to replace it and dealer was the only place I could find one. But it's cheaper than the AGM one that runs the consumer electronics.
SL600Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:30 AM   #15
Member
 
AMG903L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 119
Drives: 2004 E55 AMG
DEV1LSADV0CATE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SL600Mojo View Post
If you end up needing a battery - Autozone carries AGM batteries and installed it's about $150 versus the much higher cost of the dealer battery. The front battery different story - had to replace it and dealer was the only place I could find one. But it's cheaper than the AGM one that runs the consumer electronics.
BatteriesPlus has both in stock. I spent the extra cash and bought Braille Endurance Batteries online. The main and the front batteries are both AGM.

Rear Main = B10049

Front Backup = B14115
Attached Thumbnails
Key Not Recognized + Consumer Electronics Offline-braille_battery_b10049.jpg   Key Not Recognized + Consumer Electronics Offline-b14115.jpg  
__________________

04 E55 AMG Designo Graphite Metallic

Options: All
Mods: CM30 & EC HE, Hennessey Pulley, X-Pipe with 2nd Cats & Res Removed, Colder Plugs, Akebono EURO Brake Pads, 265/35 on 18x9 ET39 Front & 295/30 on18x9.5 ET33 Rear on AMG Wheels & V12 evos
Future Mods: Wavetrac LSD, MBH LT Headers, 100 Cell Cats, 82mm TB, 1000cc Injectors, Stage2 Looped Fuel Rail, CF Airbox, CF Inlets, CF Scoops, CF Driveshaft, Lightweight Rotors, ECU and TCU Tune.
AMG903L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:57 PM   #16
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Norway
Posts: 124
Drives: SL 55 and a GT 3000 vr4 Here's my car: http://home.online.no/~ludvs/index.cfm
The original front battery in my sl 55 is a standard one, not AGM.

I reckon the sl 600 have the same standard battery?

Maybe the E55 is different, or it has been upgraded by another owner?
rune solem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:57 PM
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
2005, 500, benz, consumer, electronic, electronics, g35, key, keyless, mercedes, offline, recognied, recognized, sl, sl500



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:25 PM.


Copyright 2001-2012 InternetBrands, Inc. / MBWorld.org. All Rights Reserved.
Everyone's Personal Details

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2