SL/R230: SL 350 locking system failure, door, boot, storage unit, petrol cap

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 08:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes SL
SL 350 locking system failure, door, boot, storage unit, petrol cap

Hello,

New to this forum and hoping someone can provide some much needed assistance to my car problem.

My locking system has failed and by that I mean the doors, the boot and roof does not work lock/unlock. It's not a problem with the key as the signal from key to car works (the car lights flash when clicking on the key buttons). I did notice some water on the carpet behind the seat but I don't know where this water has come from.

I replaced the relevant fuse 20a located in the storage unit behind the seat, however this fuse blew again but this time the storage unit, glove box and petrol cap has joined the door and boot in not working. I can't now open the storage unit to replace the fuse and cant open the petrol cap to put fuel in.

I can open the driver door and glove box using the manual key however everything else (boot, storage units, petrol cap) cannot be opened.

Anyone know how to open the storage unit manually, what the problem could be or what I should do next ?
Old 03-23-2014, 11:53 AM

Mercedes SL
Slight update...

I've managed to get into the storage/ compartment by peeling back the plastic panel below it.

I've then replaced the 20a fuse again and it blew straight away. I've checked all the other fuses and they are all fine.

However the petrol tank is still not unlocking and I still can't get into the boot. Is there a separat fuse that operates the petrol cap/door ?
Old 03-23-2014, 04:16 PM
Banned

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
SL500, Miata
There is just one fuse, and that's the one you replaced -- the fuse for the Pneumatic Systems Equipment (PSE) control unit.

You should be able to get into the boot with the little mechanical key inserted into the lock by the latch and having it turned 1/4 turn to the left (right?).

The controller and pump are in the bottom of the trunk to the left. If you have water in the floor behind the left seat, perhaps you have water in the trunk, and the controller is damaged.

Since the fuse for the PSE is blowing there is either a fault in the wiring or the control unit is bad. I would remove the electrical connector to the pump and look for something obviously wrong. If nothing, then replace the fuse that blows and see if it blows with the connector separated from the pump. If it doesn't, this suggest to me that your PSE unit needs to be replaced.
Old 03-23-2014, 05:48 PM

Mercedes SL
The boot does not want to open when I insert the key and turn it 1/4. Is this normal ?

I did manage to open the boot, however this was done by replacing the fuse once again. It seemed to give a very short current of energy which unlocked the doors and boot. I then got into the boot and found the fuel flap cord from the inside then pulled it which released the fuel flap.

I'll try your suggestion and will then report back on here.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:40 AM

Mercedes SL
Status on issue is as follows;

When removing the electrical connector to the pump the fuse does not blow so I think you're right that the pump is faulty.

I guess this is an expensive part. Does anyone have a rough estimate of price for the pump and the part code/ details. Also is it fine to purchase a second hand one ?
Old 03-30-2014, 12:47 PM
Banned

SL500, Miata
A new pump can be had from parts.com for around $750. If autohausaz.com has it available, then it will probably be less.

I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a used pump if it will save me a lot of money.

I suppose a new pump will need to be initialized and coded with an SDS computer. If you purchase a used pump and the donor car lacked features that your car has, then that pump too would need to be coded to have full functionality.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:48 PM

Mercedes SL
I'm having trouble opening my boot. Does anyone know how I can trick my car into unlocking the boot? Someone mentioned there is a possibility with using some kind of star machine ? Is this correct and can someone advise how I initiate this ?
Old 04-03-2014, 05:50 PM

Mercedes SL
I keep running into obstacles which is making this a lil tricky to resolve.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:11 AM
Banned

SL500, Miata
Originally Posted by Deejinho
Someone mentioned there is a possibility with using some kind of star machine ? Is this correct and can someone advise how I initiate this ?
Have you tried to open the boot with the key turned both fully to the left and to the right? It very definitely should work one way or the other -- I can't remember which.

I haven't checked to verify but I am certain a Star Diagnosis computer could force your pump to run if the pump is functional, of course. Even so, this would only be beneficial if your pump is not receiving a signal to open from both the boot lid switch on the door and from the key remote -- and you haven't mentioned anything that suggests to me that those signal sources are faulty.

A Chinese-cloned SDS setup can be had for around $300. There are countless vendors who offer then on alibaba.com.

Last edited by seven_out; 04-04-2014 at 12:55 PM.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:18 PM

Mercedes SL
I've tried turning the key to left and right and it doesn't open. The boot lid switch in drivers door does not work for me either.

My 3rd brake light has a small hairline crack and I wonder whether water has gone into the latch. My thoughts are faulty pump and latch.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:57 PM
Banned

SL500, Miata
Originally Posted by Deejinho
My thoughts are faulty pump and latch.
If this is indeed the case, then you may have to drill holes into the body of your car as someone did here.

It's probably useless, but I am attaching the instructions for using the key to open the boot lid.
Attached Thumbnails SL 350 locking system failure, door, boot, storage unit, petrol cap-key.jpg  
Old 05-12-2014, 03:55 PM

Mercedes SL
Hello all. Sorry for late reply.

So here's the conclusion to my issue.

Firstly I had to break my third brake light (new part costs £95+ vat) and then manually pushed the boot lock with finger. The boot then opened. My lock was a little stiff so have cleaned and oiled it well.

Secondly I purchased a 2nd hand SL PUMP from eBay for a faction of the RRP price. The motor from the new pump and was taken out and fitted into my original pump. The original pump was refitted into my car and all central locking now works. So the problem was firstly the boot lock needed cleaning and also the motor in the pump was faulty.

I hope this helps a person in a similar situation in the future.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 SL550
Thank you for posting the solution and resolution to your problem! Very much appreciated, as this will intend be useful info to others in the future. Well done.

And, I see a bit of a lesson for all of us here: we should check the mechanical linkage and ability to unlock our trunk/boot with the key! Especially, do this while the pneumatics are still working. In the event you lose the pneumatics, you have a bit of backup in knowing that you can still get into the trunk via the mechanical linkage. A good lesson for all of us to learn. Clean/lubricate the lock while we can...

Last edited by diablo2112; 05-12-2014 at 04:46 PM.