SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Car won't lock/unclock and trunk is closed shut

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 10:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 SL500 Sport Pkg, 2008 BMW X5 4.8L, 2011 Prius (my gas saver:-))
Car won't lock/unclock and trunk is closed shut

All,
I know this topic has been discussed but I can still hear the pump in the trunk click when I push the lock/unlock button on my remote control.

Here is what I have:

1) The doors won't lock/unlock however the lights flash as they would. This tells me that the remote or its battery is not the issue.

2) I can unlock the trunk with the metal key and can raise and lower the retracted top up and down that is sitting in the trunk to access the spare tire area.

3) I have checked the 20amp fuse behind the passenger side and it is not blown. It was blown about 2 months ago as I had encountered the same issue and replacing the fuse with a new one had resolved the issue then.

4) Again, I can hear the motor click-click once I click lock/unlock from the remote key.

Please advise or provide any suggestions.

Thanks,
Paul
Old 07-28-2014, 08:01 PM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
MBs: SL55, GLK350
You may have a PSE pump problem or failure. Trunk leaks causing corrosion and damage to PSE pump is a common cause, but as you still hear the pump/motor cycling with lock buttons this doesn't seem as likely.
Some have experienced shattered or otherwise broken PSE pump impellers which renders all PSE functions (locks, trunk latch, lumbar/multi-contour) inoperative - this could be your problem as you still hear the motor running in trunk but no function.

Using the mechanical key to open the doors, I would test the lumbar seat functions as well to see if anything off the PSE works. If not, I would start by inspecting the PSE pump. Remove the trunk floor, remove the bottom/trunk well carpet and the PSE is in the foam enclosure - bottom drivers side of trunk. Pay attention to thr condition of the foam wrap as well, any dampness?
There are several detailed write ups on PSE pump disassembly and repairs on this forum which should help further diagnose and repair the pump. Look in the s class forums as well different PSE pump but similar problems and solutions.

A dealer or independent service shop with mb STAR diagnostic system could scan for relevant fault codes, you probably already have error(s) which will help pinpoint the problem