SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Bottom of seat inflatable cushion issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 10:55 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
2004 SL500 // 2015 S550
Bottom of seat inflatable cushion issues

Hi, I'm looking for guidance on the air cushion in the seat bottom. My lumbar on the seat upright works fine- inflates/deflates using the thumbwheel switch. The seat bottom is not inflating, and actually when you sit, you can hear air escape due to further deflating. I've searched and searched and have not found guidance as to the seat bottom air cushion. Is this connected to the same air source as the lumbar air cushions? I don't see how that can be, as the lumbar stays inflated, but the seat bottom does not inflate at all. I'm hoping there is a supply line off some where for this cushion, and that the bladder is not damaged. But I cannot find where the seat bottom lines are routed within the seat to check them. Any guidance, and/or seat diagrams would be much appreciated!!! It's the driver seat if that makes any difference.

THANKS
Old 07-28-2014, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 SL550
What page of your owners manual shows air cushion in bottom of seat? Mine is a couple years newer, but there is only air bladder adjustments in the seat back, none in the bottom that I know of?
Old 07-28-2014, 09:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
SL500R, 500SL, C230, 560SL, 450SL, 450SLC, 300CD.
Originally Posted by El Gringo
What page of your owners manual shows air cushion in bottom of seat? Mine is a couple years newer, but there is only air bladder adjustments in the seat back, none in the bottom that I know of?
+++1
Old 07-29-2014, 12:21 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
2004 SL500 // 2015 S550
Thanks, and good point guys. I will double check my manual, but from what I recall, the guidance was not specific as to the actual bladders that are contained in the seats. For the most part, I've been going off the somewhat limited guidance online and in the forums related to the seat bottoms. I also found a replacement seat bottom bladder on Ebay, but perhaps this was for the later year model cars. What puzzles me is when I do sit down, I definitely hear air escaping from the seat, where I do not recall this happening when I originally got the car a few years ago. Plus the leather is contracting a bit from the lack of internal support. Note, the passenger seat bottom makes no such noise and is firmer, albeit, the seat is used less frequently. I'm finding some ambiguity around the subject and wanted to see if anyone did in fact have a diagram of the seat bladders, or direct experience with the seat bottom cushion (if it in fact exists in my '04 model!). Thx again.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 SL550
I took a quick look at your manual. You can download it from mbusa.com.
Take a look at page 109. Are those the switches you expected to control it? Because all they do is the stuff in the seat back.
I didn't see anything about a seat bladder.