SL/R230: ABC Filter replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 07:39 PM

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts
2005 SL500, 2015 CLS400
ABC Filter replacement

So i looked up on the forum, no info on that, so i was wondering:

After reading about the ABC system and the benefits of flushing it i thought of doing on mine. But I checked the ABC fluid on my 05 SL500 /w 23k miles, and the fluid is still greenish - very light brown. So i'll wait on that.

Now the question is will it be good to replace just the filter itself? Will it make any difference? Assuming that the previous owners did not do any of that?
Why i am thinking about doing this it's just because i think the old one might get dirty enough after 10 years to be replaced.

And if i decide to add the additional filter /w the magnet in it the best place would be somewhere around the reservoir/filter, right?

Thx in advance, Ghostty

Last edited by Ghostty; 07-17-2015 at 07:42 PM.
Old 07-17-2015, 10:36 PM

Received 94 Likes on 69 Posts
2012 E350 4Matic P2
You can accomplish a fluid cleaning just by changing the filter to the newer standard of 3 micron. Please see the attached Service Information bulletin dated 11/6/06. I realize that this is an old bulletin but it should apply to your car.

Since your car is a '05 low mileage model the you most likely still have the original 10 micron filter.

As far as adding an additional magnetic filter, do some research on Benzworld as that was a hot topic some time ago with a few members actually buying and installing filter setups.

Bob
Old 07-18-2015, 12:08 AM

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts
2005 SL500, 2015 CLS400
Most likely you're right, because i don't think at this mileage the system was serviced, moreover replaced the filter.

But changing to a 3 micron filter would be desirable, if i get that right?

Preferably OEM filter? or it doesn't make a difference?

Thx,

Ghostty

Last edited by Ghostty; 07-18-2015 at 12:10 AM.
Old 07-20-2015, 05:55 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
SL550
Imo, knowing you have a newer 3 micron filter is ideal. Around $40 give or take. I have only seen it offered as an MB part: part # 0031846101

Fwiw, I had a rodeo/fluid/filter flush on my 2011 SL550 with 23,000 miles. Fluid was definitely discolored but not 'black' as I have seen. It was almost four years old, light use. As I understand the fluid has some properties similar to brake fluid in that it will attract moisture. Keeping that fluid clean seems a relatively minor task with the potential for huge payback.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:44 AM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
2002 C4 Cab, 2014 Audi A5 cab, 2017 X5 35d
Originally Posted by funymuny
Imo, knowing you have a newer 3 micron filter is ideal. Around $40 give or take. I have only seen it offered as an MB part: part # 0031846101

Fwiw, I had a rodeo/fluid/filter flush on my 2011 SL550 with 23,000 miles. Fluid was definitely discolored but not 'black' as I have seen. It was almost four years old, light use. As I understand the fluid has some properties similar to brake fluid in that it will attract moisture. Keeping that fluid clean seems a relatively minor task with the potential for huge payback.
I just picked up a one owner 2003 SL 500 with only 19,000 miles. I had a PPI completed and the tech said "fluid looks clear and clean". I asked the dealer to do a rodeo/fluid/filter flush. The VMI states that it was done @ 10 years (late 2002) so we did not do it at this time. I'm a "if it ain't broke.....don't fix it" kind of guy. However, knowing that ABC issues are quite expensive.......what do you recommend with regard to regular maintenance on this system? I should say that this vehicle has never had any ABC issues (knock on wood)!
Old 07-21-2015, 10:34 AM

SL550
Originally Posted by anothercar
I just picked up a one owner 2003 SL 500 with only 19,000 miles. I had a PPI completed and the tech said "fluid looks clear and clean". I asked the dealer to do a rodeo/fluid/filter flush. The VMI states that it was done @ 10 years (late 2002) so we did not do it at this time. I'm a "if it ain't broke.....don't fix it" kind of guy. However, knowing that ABC issues are quite expensive.......what do you recommend with regard to regular maintenance on this system? I should say that this vehicle has never had any ABC issues (knock on wood)!
I understand completely the idea of "if it ain't broke don't fix it". I talked with my indy mechanic...been in business a long time, talks very knowledgeably, knows the ABC systems, etc. Also one of his mechanics...they both have MBs with ABC systems. They were in complete agreement that doing the rodeo/flush/filter was a good idea even though light use, low mileage. The ABC system is essentially a sophisticated hydraulic system. Not using it is worse than using it. The valves in the solenoids need to move, stay free-moving. If it were me and the fluid was 10 years old I would want to flush it and replace the filter. I tend to drive low miles however my target is to replace my fluid/filter every three to four years or 20,000 miles. Mine took 11 liters to completely flush. You can do the 'home flush'...without the rodeo. If there is no ABC issue I see of no way flushing the fluid can create one. It can move contaminants around that were 'lodged' in place and not preventing a good seal in the valves. Seems if that is the case then those same contaminants will continue to move through the system with continued use. In the end though it is a high-pressure hydraulic system. Such systems have been in use for decades on aircraft, construction equipment, etc. If the pump is on the edge the rodeo can sometimes push it over. Cycle through the height settings periodically. Goal is to keep all parts moving. I had an 04 for a while. Loved that car. It did get to where the front would sag. Had the valve block rebuilt...problem solved. Also flushed that system using the 'home flush' method. Hope that helps...Mark
Old 07-21-2015, 10:43 AM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
2002 C4 Cab, 2014 Audi A5 cab, 2017 X5 35d
Originally Posted by funymuny
I understand completely the idea of "if it ain't broke don't fix it". I talked with my indy mechanic...been in business a long time, talks very knowledgeably, knows the ABC systems, etc. Also one of his mechanics...they both have MBs with ABC systems. They were in complete agreement that doing the rodeo/flush/filter was a good idea even though light use, low mileage. The ABC system is essentially a sophisticated hydraulic system. Not using it is worse than using it. The valves in the solenoids need to move, stay free-moving. If it were me and the fluid was 10 years old I would want to flush it and replace the filter. I tend to drive low miles however my target is to replace my fluid/filter every three to four years or 20,000 miles. Mine took 11 liters to completely flush. You can do the 'home flush'...without the rodeo. If there is no ABC issue I see of no way flushing the fluid can create one. It can move contaminants around that were 'lodged' in place and not preventing a good seal in the valves. Seems if that is the case then those same contaminants will continue to move through the system with continued use. In the end though it is a high-pressure hydraulic system. Such systems have been in use for decades on aircraft, construction equipment, etc. If the pump is on the edge the rodeo can sometimes push it over. Cycle through the height settings periodically. Goal is to keep all parts moving. I had an 04 for a while. Loved that car. It did get to where the front would sag. Had the valve block rebuilt...problem solved. Also flushed that system using the 'home flush' method. Hope that helps...Mark
Thanks for your guidance. Actually, I had a typo in my original message. The rodeo/flush/filter was performed in late 2012 (not 2002)!
Old 07-21-2015, 10:48 AM

SL550
That is different. Yeah, if you have confidence that is the case, I would pull a little fluid out to inspect the color (just me maybe), confirm the fluid level is correct and move on down the road. I have said to others...these are not Toyota Corollas...they are complex machines so something can go awry; it's the nature of the beast. But they are great cars, imo. Pride of ownership, the convertible hardtop, the look, the drive...congrats and best of luck. Mark
Old 08-19-2015, 07:49 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
2003 SL55 AMG
funymuny stated the ABC system is hydraulic. VERY true, but it is also hygroscopic, like the brake fluid. MB recommends brake fluid purges - but never published anything that I'm aware of regarding the ABC fluid. I flushed mine within months after purchase ('03, it had 3mm filter, and fluid was still greenish - not tan). I will flush it again after 3 years regardless of mileage. I also installed a magnetic filter (Magnefine) in the return line just ahead of the reservoir.

There is a LOT of information about the servicing done by a company in Germany where their customers have hundreds of thousand miles on ABC systems with little or no maintenance other than flushing and magnetic filtering. Do a search for 'everything you wanted to know about ABC systems' on this or other Forums.

Both the 1/2" Magnefine filter (~$15), and the German type transparent magnetic filter (~$100) are available on eBay.

Last edited by kittyandgary; 08-19-2015 at 07:52 PM.