SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: accelerator has no response after hard driving

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 11:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 mb sl500, 74 corvette, 97 f-350
Cool accelerator has no response after hard driving

my first post, after a few minutes of aggressive driving. the accelerator suddenly has no response, if i hold it to the floor it will very slowly start to rev up.
if i stop, shut the car off, and then restart it functions normally. I have ordered a new throttle position sensor because that is the code it gave me. but i am not sure this is the problem, since it is only after a few minutes of hard driving. normal driving it does not seem to give me any problems.
any words of wisdom? I have only had this car for three weeks. and have had to repair several small problems already. (window switch, headlight washer sprayers etc.
2003 sl 500
Old 10-27-2015, 09:56 PM

2003 SL55
Same problem here! 2003 SL55. Has happened three times in 1 month, usually after some 'spirited' driving. Engine off/on fixes it.

Any thoughts?
Old 10-28-2015, 08:50 AM

Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts
'08 S550 P3; Golf Carts; MT Bike; Scooters
Start with a new throttle pedal, if that is the code you see. If engine computer sees an 'out of range' reading from the pedal, it will throw the car in limp mode. Turning off the car resets the system.
Note this could also be an intake air temp for a supercharged, caused by a bad coolant pump, or sensor, or whatever. Anything out of range on both cars will throw limp mode.
SDS will pinpoint the problem so you can fix it.
Also, I had a throttle that showed correct values on the SDS, but must have had a problem at full throttle. If a punched it, the car would instantly go to limp mode. New pedal fixed it.
Old 10-29-2015, 02:09 AM

2003 mb sl500, 74 corvette, 97 f-350
Repaired

Originally Posted by swfunhog
my first post, after a few minutes of aggressive driving. the accelerator suddenly has no response, if i hold it to the floor it will very slowly start to rev up.
if i stop, shut the car off, and then restart it functions normally. I have ordered a new throttle position sensor because that is the code it gave me. but i am not sure this is the problem, since it is only after a few minutes of hard driving. normal driving it does not seem to give me any problems.
any words of wisdom? I have only had this car for three weeks. and have had to repair several small problems already. (window switch, headlight washer sprayers etc.
2003 sl 500
Update. Replaced the throttle position sensor (complete accelerator assembly )and problem gone.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:36 AM

Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts
'08 S550 P3; Golf Carts; MT Bike; Scooters
Pictures of how the pedal works

Pictures to educate anyone on this issue...
Tore apart my old throttle pedal assembly to see how it works.
The electronic sensor is screwed & glued on, so this is a destructive task. There is a magnet ring anchored to the pedal assembly, and I presume a Hall effect sensor on in the sensor portion (part I removed).
The sensor is a sealed unit...no way to open it...so what's inside is not serviceable.
The only thing I saved from this is the stainless and rubber foot pedal part. The rest is in the trash.
Attached Thumbnails accelerator has no response after hard driving-image.jpeg