SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Different Sized Tires Front And Rear?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 913 Likes on 601 Posts
2019 SL550/2023 EQS 580 SUV
Different Sized Tires Front And Rear?

I noticed today my new to me 2008 SL550 has different sized tires on the front and rear. Is this for looks or performance? I assume rotating front to rear is a no-no! Thanks...
Old 01-07-2016, 05:15 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes they are different sizes, and as much for appearance as for performance. With most tires of these sizes they are also one direction which effectively rules out any rotation at all. On the sidewall of each tire there will be a rotational direction arrow indicating which way the tire should turn when going forward. I have never tried to rotate against these wishes and while I don't think you will immediately implode, I think that tire wear will suffer.
Good Luck with your purchase
Old 01-07-2016, 08:17 PM

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts
2005 SL500, 2015 CLS400
All SL models come like that. And most other ones too, like SLK, CL, CLS, E, S, and so on. Not sure about the C class It's mostly because the MBs are still RWD cars So you don't get to spin your tires when you hit gas half way down. Otherwise for any V8 would be very easy to spin some small tires

All you can do is to see if you can rotate the tires left - right, assuming your tires don't have asymmetric thread. It's all on the tires, take a look and read
Old 01-07-2016, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 SL500
Not all SLs - my 2003 SL500 came with 17 inch wheels all around with the same size tires.
Old 01-07-2016, 11:04 PM

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts
2005 SL500, 2015 CLS400
Originally Posted by 4thSL
Not all SLs - my 2003 SL500 came with 17 inch wheels all around with the same size tires.
Unusual Either someone swapped the wheels, or your edition was an exception. But the upgrade looks much better
Old 01-08-2016, 10:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
SL 600
On my SL 600, it has a sticker on your driver side door jam that might help
Attached Thumbnails Different Sized Tires Front And Rear?-20160108_085508.jpg  
Old 01-08-2016, 12:58 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2005 SL65
It's called a staggered setup. Some cars even do different wheel diameters.
Old 01-08-2016, 02:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 328 Likes on 265 Posts
2006 S600
Originally Posted by Utopia Texas
I noticed today my new to me 2008 SL550 has different sized tires on the front and rear. Is this for looks or performance? I assume rotating front to rear is a no-no! Thanks...
Its just for looks. It does nothing for performance IMHO.

Nick
Old 01-08-2016, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 SL500
Originally Posted by Ghostty
Unusual Either someone swapped the wheels, or your edition was an exception. But the upgrade looks much better
Original owner - came that way from the factory.
Old 01-08-2016, 06:30 PM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Car free at the moment
As everyone has said, it's pretty common on a Benz. Some of the sedans can be had either way - staggered if you pick the sport trim, square if you choose luxury. I don't recall a late model SL without it.

So do you really live down in Utopia? Ever been to the Laurel Tree? It's a bucket list item that I've not made it to yet. cheers.
Old 01-08-2016, 07:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 913 Likes on 601 Posts
2019 SL550/2023 EQS 580 SUV
Originally Posted by Shadow5501
As everyone has said, it's pretty common on a Benz. Some of the sedans can be had either way - staggered if you pick the sport trim, square if you choose luxury. I don't recall a late model SL without it.

So do you really live down in Utopia? Ever been to the Laurel Tree? It's a bucket list item that I've not made it to yet. cheers.
We have a weekend place near Utopia on the river. I live just West of Houston but get out to the Hill Country as much as possible. About 20 miles north of Utopia are some of the best roads in Texas for twists and turns. Some call the roads the Three Sisters and others the Twisted Sisters. Never been to the Laurel Tree but am familiar with the family. They were originally huge horse breeder family here in Brookshire, Texas and moved west to the Utopia area. I believe they own the golf course also which is a hoot. Cattle sometimes roam the fairways and you have to play over and around them!

Last edited by Utopia Texas; 01-08-2016 at 07:44 PM.
Old 01-09-2016, 10:23 AM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Car free at the moment
Originally Posted by Utopia Texas
We have a weekend place near Utopia on the river. I live just West of Houston but get out to the Hill Country as much as possible. About 20 miles north of Utopia are some of the best roads in Texas for twists and turns. Some call the roads the Three Sisters and others the Twisted Sisters. Never been to the Laurel Tree but am familiar with the family. They were originally huge horse breeder family here in Brookshire, Texas and moved west to the Utopia area. I believe they own the golf course also which is a hoot. Cattle sometimes roam the fairways and you have to play over and around them!
Sounds very nice. I am in DFW and have a weekend place in Fredericksburg. Am well familiar with the twisted sisters as I've been riding two wheeled vehicles (motorized and pedal powered) in the hill country for a good number of years. I'll wave when I see you on the road.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:52 AM

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
sl600
The staggered setup is used to balance the grip levels in corners. The smaller tyre at the front means the car will have less lateral grip and the car will understeer.

Understeer is much safer and the traction control can sort out any issues or mistakes made by the driver. If you want the car to handle better then increase the front tyre width.

The SL actually has close to a 50/50 weight distribution so is a good candidate for a square tyre setup however due to the geometry you can only go to a certain width tyre in the front before it will rub.

I have done a widebody conversion so I am running 325mm rear and 305mm front which is a little closer than the standard setup.
Old 02-06-2016, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 328 Likes on 265 Posts
2006 S600
I don't have an SL, and my car has a bigger offset, but otherwise I think I use similar wheels and tires. I spent a lot of time last year experimenting with different square and staggered configurations, and came to a very simple conclusion. The only reason Mercedes use staggered wheels is marketing. I never found any advantage whatsoever, and a square configuration was always superior in all respects. There were no compromises or trade-offs at all.

Just because you have 50/50 weight distribution and square wheels & tires doesn't mean the car will handle neutrally, ie: without understeer or oversteer. It depends on other things like roll center height and roll moment distribution. In conventional cars, roll moment is controlled by springs and sway bars, and in ABC cars, its controlled by the electronics. Roll center height is controlled by geometry.

Mercedes suspensions seem to be fundamentally set-up around square configurations, and if you change to staggered, that will only upset the handling balance. That's been my experience. In my current cars, I went from staggered back to square, and never looked back. They're now agile, balanced, responsive, stable and all the other good things a car should be. In addition, they ride comfortably and quietly, and I can swap my tires front and rear, left and right, as I please.

Mid-engine and rear-engine cars are presumably different, and I expect the suspensions are set-up to behave properly with wider rears. Mercedes don't seem to be like that, and work best square.

Everyone said it couldn't be done, but I now run 275/30/20x10 front and rear on mine, and I don't rub as long as I have the right offset (45mm on my cars). Its a long storey that I won't repeat; its all written up here:

https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...els-tyres.html

Nick
Old 02-06-2016, 09:49 PM

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
sl600
I was saying the same thing. Square is a better setup. The staggered setup on a Mercedes is to create understeer which stops people crashing and killing themselves due to oversteer and spinning into a ditch.

On a Ferrari which has more weight over the rear of the car it makes sense to run a staggered setup with more rubber in the rear.