SL/R230: CTEK Multi US 3300 Battery Charger Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 10:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 S63 Coupe & 2014 E550 4MATIC Sedan
Question CTEK Multi US 3300 Battery Charger Question

Humph.

Last month I had all new batteries installed int he car, and then went on a business trip. I had ordered a CTEK MULTI US 3300 battery charger, but it didn't make it in time before I went on a 3-4 week business trip.

Today, I get home, after my daily driver Acura (starts right up every time, for the last 6 years, whether in freezing snow, or in Florida heat in the summer of course!) and try to start the car, no go, although some dash lights came on as it attempted to start. I gave up. I installed the battery tender. I decided to install the "eyelet version" of the connector options, rather than the temporary alligator clips.

I disconnected the negative cable on the battery, so I had room to work with the other end of the negative cable, and trying to follow the directions, I connected the positive lead of the CTEK connector to the positive terminal.

I then need to attach the negative to a "ground". So I used the same connector inside the fender that the negative lead was attached to, and removed the "battery side" of the the negative car cable, so I had room to get to the nut on the fender side. I couldn't find a better option in the trunk? Is there a better option?

I hooked it all back up, tightened everything up, and plugged in the charger and selected the "SNOWFLAKE" mode to accomplish charging higher than 50Ah as indicated in the CTEK manual. (Car battery is a new OEM Mercedes Battery, rated at 60Ah).

Then the weirdest thing happened.

I went back to my garage maybe 30 minutes later and herd a bit of a cyclic noise. I was trying to see where it was coming from and noticed that the passenger rear quarter window, (which was in the up position, the passenger window was down). The window was ever so slightly pulsating, as if the logic that controls it was being turned on and off quick.

This is perplexing.

So, for kicks, I disconnected charger completely, and see if I could turn over the car, or at least try to put the windows down to avoid that noise, and now I can't even turn the ignition key, as if I had been locked out.

Anyone ever had this problem? The logic of this car is starting to really upset me .... every time there is an electrical issue, there is an act of god to restore it. Somedays I think a 1988 Honda would have been a better bet LOL ARGH!

I then went to YouTube, and saw some people just directly put both eyelets directly on the terminal, if the manual had said that, I would have simply done that instead of removing the whole negative cable just to get a better connection to the ground connection on the fender.

Attached Thumbnails CTEK Multi US 3300 Battery Charger Question-20160130_140646.jpg  
Old 01-30-2016, 11:17 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,323 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
I just connect my ctek positive to the positive/red terminal and the black ctek alligator to the engine metal... Done

Not at all sure what you did ... Sounds very complex and sounds like you may have fried the computer ... This could be pricey

Would advise you not tell Benz you did this and just call Benz roadside assistance and let them tow the car
Old 01-31-2016, 04:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 S63 Coupe & 2014 E550 4MATIC Sedan
PeterUbers;

Does you 2014 E63S have a battery in the trunk and a battery in the hood? My consumer batter is in the trunk, where everyone connects the chargers at in an SL.

That might be why it sounds weird. Maybe.

I don't understand how that would fry a computer ... seems highly suspect that I did anything other than what the manual stated to do?

Thanks for the idea, if all else fails .. I may have to.
Old 02-01-2016, 05:08 PM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
2002 C4 Cab, 2014 Audi A5 cab, 2017 X5 35d
Originally Posted by danger450
PeterUbers;

Does you 2014 E63S have a battery in the trunk and a battery in the hood? My consumer batter is in the trunk, where everyone connects the chargers at in an SL.

That might be why it sounds weird. Maybe.

I don't understand how that would fry a computer ... seems highly suspect that I did anything other than what the manual stated to do?

Thanks for the idea, if all else fails .. I may have to.
Silly question..........Why wouldn't you connect the charger to the starter battery under the hood if your goal is to insure that the car starts upon your return? I use the C-Tek charger on the starter battery on my 2003 SL500 anytime I'm away for several weeks and it works like a charm.

Last edited by anothercar; 02-01-2016 at 05:10 PM.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:55 PM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
MBs: SL55, GLK350
Clean and tighten the ground connection in trunk that you disconnected. Make sure the terminals are stacked such that all are sitting flat and flush to each other. It may be loose or poor connection

I would disconnect the consumer battery and charge fully before attempting anything else. Once it has fully charged, reconnect the battery, making sure both battery connections are clean and tight, and see how the car responds.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:02 PM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
MBs: SL55, GLK350
Originally Posted by anothercar
Silly question..........Why wouldn't you connect the charger to the starter battery under the hood if your goal is to insure that the car starts upon your return? I use the C-Tek charger on the starter battery on my 2003 SL500 anytime I'm away for several weeks and it works like a charm.
Trickle chargers should always be hooked up to the rear/consumer battery on r230s. This is the battery that typically runs down, and because the way the r230 battery system works, charging the rear will also allow the front starter battery to be charged.
The following users liked this post:
GoFastr (07-13-2018)
Old 02-02-2016, 08:59 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,323 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Op:

My 2014 e63 consumer battery is in the engine bay and truth be told I am no expert on your model Benz

Please let us know how this turns out and I wish you lots of luck and hope it's back to normal soon
Old 02-03-2016, 10:27 AM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
2002 C4 Cab, 2014 Audi A5 cab, 2017 X5 35d
Originally Posted by dRockSL55
Trickle chargers should always be hooked up to the rear/consumer battery on r230s. This is the battery that typically runs down, and because the way the r230 battery system works, charging the rear will also allow the front starter battery to be charged.
Good to know...........I had no idea! Thx for the heads up
Old 02-06-2016, 07:19 AM

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
sl600
The SL has a DC/DC converter which charges the starter battery(front) from the Aux battery(rear).

If you charge the starter battery only you will still have issues with the car as the rear battery always will go dead first because it is trying to keep the starter battery alive as its priority.
The following users liked this post:
GoFastr (07-13-2018)