SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: A 2017 SL450 dilemma

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 06:25 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
2017 SL450; 2012 Porsche Cayenne Turbo; 2005 Lexus SC430
A 2017 SL450 dilemma

I have on order a 2017 SL450 scheduled to be manufactured between October 20 and October 31. This new car is, among other things, to celebrate my turning 70 next month. For the past 15 years, my "personal" car has been an AMG-version of either an E/CLS or a SLK (currently, it is a 2013 SLK55). I decided to purchase a V6 SL because my driving is almost exclusively to and from the grocery store, the dry cleaners, a restaurant, etc.; my annual mileage is around 2,500 miles. And, importantly, I find that increasingly I like luxury and comfort, particularly since I cannot take advantage, for the most part, of performance. At best, I can rapidly accelerate onto the freeway, where I am stuck driving between 65 and 72 mph.

A couple of days ago, I was at the local Porsche dealership to handle an errand for my wife. While there, I decided to drive the new 2017 Porsches -- both a 911 Carrera and a 718 Boxster S. The 911, frankly, left me cold; I thought it was a lot of money for not all that great a car. The Boxster S, however, blew me away. It was tons of fun to drive -- peppy, growling/raspy, great balance and handling. In every regard, it is much better than my current SLK55.

So now I am caught in the jaws of a dilemma. For vastly different reasons, I love each for what it offers, and I am keenly aware of what each doesn't deliver vis a vis the other. Unfortunately, I only have the budget -- and garage space -- for one of the two. On a spectrum, the SL450 is a luxury cruiser at one end and the Boxster S is a light-weight sports car at the other. The cost differential (both are fully loaded, though the $30+K of options on the Porsche is somewhat shocking) is irrelevant to me. My logical brain tells me to take delivery of the SL450 -- and, undoubtedly, I shall, but there is a little voice inside me crying out that I am not yet ready for the rocking chair.

I am posting this thread to ask how others have resolved this sort of dilemma, especially if the choice was between a Mercedes SL and a Porsche 911/718.
Old 10-14-2016, 06:49 PM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
'10 C300, '15 ML250BT, '22 M850i Vert
I am 73 and recently traded my '14 C7 Vette vert. on a Sl400. I love it but really wanted the Boxster S until they dropped the 6 cyl. for the Turbo 4. I'm very happy with my decision and don't miss the power of my Vette.
P.S. I love the sound of the V6 in this car.
Old 10-14-2016, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
While I have never considered the Porsche due to personal taste, I would hardly call the SL450 a rocking chair. It is quite quick and with its folding hardtop a very practical car.
The following users liked this post:
Utopia Texas (10-14-2016)
Old 10-14-2016, 10:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,419 Likes on 1,948 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Man, I am right there with you, but for different reasons. I've had five new SL's, the last being my beloved 2004 SL500. I love the SL's, but get upset the way MB markets them, especially here in the U.S. A glass roof on a convertible, with that cheesy, flimsy cover? As of a couple of weeks ago, no RED exterior available?? So many boring interior colors??? Porsche, on the other hand, will let you have your car pretty much anyway you want it and I find that very attractive. STILL, the SL is unique and like you, I think it probably is the best fit for me, warts and all. But, oh, that 911 Targa!

Old 10-15-2016, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW 540i
This is not an easily resolved dilemma. I currently own a W212 E350 and a Porsche 981 Boxster. I love both for completely different reasons. One is pure luxury; one is pure sport. They are as different as night and day and both are extremely satisfying. I own both because I have not found a vehicle that provides luxury and sport simultaneously.

I have owned a couple of SL's. They are great cars, but will never give the driving feel and excitement of a Porsche mid engine car. Not even close. Likewise, the Boxster will never provide the comfort and luxury feel of an SL. Not even close.

Having said that, and at my age (65+), if I were forced to own only one car, it would probably be a R231 SL. It is likely the best compromise between sport and luxury. It is better at the latter than the former. But it will always be a compromise; it will never provide the excitement of a Porsche.

Ultimately, only you can decide what is more satisfying.
Old 10-15-2016, 03:54 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2001 viper rt-10, 2007 SL65
Originally Posted by doublebmw
This is not an easily resolved dilemma. I currently own a W212 E350 and a Porsche 981 Boxster. I love both for completely different reasons. One is pure luxury; one is pure sport. They are as different as night and day and both are extremely satisfying. I own both because I have not found a vehicle that provides luxury and sport simultaneously.

I have owned a couple of SL's. They are great cars, but will never give the driving feel and excitement of a Porsche mid engine car. Not even close. Likewise, the Boxster will never provide the comfort and luxury feel of an SL. Not even close.

Having said that, and at my age (65+), if I were forced to own only one car, it would probably be a R231 SL. It is likely the best compromise between sport and luxury. It is better at the latter than the former. But it will always be a compromise; it will never provide the excitement of a Porsche.

Ultimately, only you can decide what is more satisfying.
I am fortunate to have both an SL and a Viper. The SL is my daily driver, and it is a nice ride. Even though I keep it in sport mode, I find it to be completely comfortable. It is a 65, so when I see an open road or I am entering the freeway, the response can be mind boggling. If I have an attitude, I jump in the Viper with the cd blaring Queen and go for it until I'm satiated.
Old 11-15-2016, 12:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
SL400
I find my SL400 to be a most "pleasant" car. It feels good to drive, it's peppy and comfortable in a great balance that leans a bit more towards the comfortable. I drive it every day.

Some big differences are in things like the steering. The SL has very little road feel. The Porsche has lots of feedback. The feedback is a blast on a mountain road (we have lots of them here). But the feedback is fatiguing in bumper-to-bumper traffic and the SL exceeds in making that miserable reality a lot easier to live with.

Just depends really on what feels right to you and what tradeoffs you want to make. For me, I'm driving the SL400 every day and it is the right car for that in my opinion. If I spent less time in traffic and prowling parking lots for good parking spots, I'd be all over the taught suspension and steering and spend a lot more time in the Santa Cruz mountains.
Old 11-19-2016, 10:31 PM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
2017 SL450
Originally Posted by Streamliner
As of a couple of weeks ago, no RED exterior available??
This for the SL, both the 450 as well as the 550: designo Cardinal Red Metallic

Old 11-19-2016, 10:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,419 Likes on 1,948 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by jetjok
This for the SL, both the 450 as well as the 550: designo Cardinal Red Metallic

This color, in most lighting, looks MUCH more orange than red.