SL/SLC-Class (R107) 1971-1989 : 250SL, 280SL, 450 SL, 380 SLC, 450 SL, 380 SL, 560 SL

SL/R107: Help with 500SL fuel issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 01:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes
Help with 500SL fuel issue

I've read through a lot of posts and have learned a lot about these cars.

When I bought the 500 it had been sitting for who knows how long. I pulled the accumulator, filter and pump. I bench tested the pump using a 12 batter. It moved once but sounded like the gears were frozen.
I drained the fuel. It was pure goo. Diesel, Kerosine.
Following that I ran a compression test on all cylinders wet and dry. The engine is in beautiful shape internally. I will check the timing chains this week.

My immediate problem is getting it running. Before I brought it home we tried starter fluid in the intake. It acting like it wanted to start but it would not fully start. After pulling the fuel et al I am sure the car wasn't getting fuel.
I did find the "fuel sending unit" laying around. That explains why the gas gauge reads empty when it has fuel in it. The swirl pot and tank are needing to be replaced as well.
I have a week to get this running so I can drive it on to a trailer and ship it.

I'm laying out my plan. I am thinking that getting a working pump, clean filter and accumulator are good place to start. If that doesn't do the trick it's off to the ignition coil and relays.

Many of you have oodles of experience. Your input is welcomed here.

(does anyone know the minimum voltage needed to jump the fuel pump?)
Old 02-02-2015, 01:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
slc380
there is mesh inside tank, so i car was't running for while can be clogged, if this is blocked fuel pump can't build pressure to open injectors.