SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Speedriven SL65 Big Turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 03:21 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts
Speedriven
Originally Posted by ttboost
Ok, so it's the comp side that makes it derail, not the turbine side...

So stock 65 injectors are done after 600whp? (on what dyno)

600 injectors are done at 600whp, 65 injectors are good for well over 700whp.

We use a local dynojet and mustang dyno, hp difference between the two are about 15-20whp on a 700+whp car.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CTS-V
Thank you for the info. So if we ever see 650-670whp on my local Mustang dyno....probably pretty close to done, injector-wise. We'll probably see it A/F wise anyway, but good to know. I'm a big fan of doing the most with the least and love to work on my own stuff. I'm not afraid to take this thing apart and see what's up...We'll see how bored I get this Winter...Thanks again.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:36 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
SL600 / SL450 (107) / E350 / BMW M5 E60 / BMW 745i (E23) / BMW X6M / Toyota Hilux 4 WD/ Honda CBX 10
Originally Posted by Speedriven1
Here's our big turbo SL65 kit. Our first test's were good but shy 4/5psi from our goal. The car dyno'ed at 800whp and 900wtq with half race/pump gas at 21psi. We are going to be testing it tomorrow at 25/26 psi, Hoping for 900whp. Below is a graph and some teaser vids. Enjoy!

Well done... and very interesting....
Good luck..
Old 11-01-2013, 03:54 PM

CTS-V
Yes, can you guys plot the boost line on this dyno?
Old 11-01-2013, 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Thanks for the response. And I agree on the turbo swap on the 996 being a tad easier. Have you guys done just compressor upgrade? And it is the 18g or 20g wheel? I have no problem taking my own turbos out and having them upgraded..I just want to know what kind of power has anyone obtained just from that? My guess is 20-40whp at the same boost? I figure that, with Meth, would be a worthwhile upgrade for about 75-100whp...
Member Shardal above in this thread has a set of Precision upgraded wheels from Speedriven (Basically same product just another Vendor that USED to do this mod) Shard has the upgraded wheels on otherwise stock super clean setup on his S600. Ask him for more details, he like myself are more than willing to help out when we can..

Another area for you to address (since you want to keep mostly stock is the CAI) The Stock airbox is a HUGE bottleneck in perf, there's (3) 90 Degree sharp turns w/tiny air choking slits for routing air etc..
Old 11-01-2013, 04:29 PM

CTS-V
Thank you. Yes, I was eyeballing this, as I currently have all that off, waiting for coils. I would think some piping from down below grabbing some cool air would be a welcome addition...I just HATE K&N style filters. I really like a paper filter, as it actually filters. probably not much room to do this, or it would already be done. I may do a compressor upgrade, a trunk resevoir and some meth. I think that might get me to mid 600rwhp...

(As an aside, I believe I have Marcus Frosts old car)

Last edited by ttboost; 11-01-2013 at 04:32 PM.
Old 11-01-2013, 05:35 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
Let me just tell you all the upgrade billet turbos I got from Speedriven has made the heavy 220 S class a monster. I cant imagine how this upgrade will feel on the R230.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:48 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts
Speedriven
Originally Posted by shardul
Let me just tell you all the upgrade billet turbos I got from Speedriven has made the heavy 220 S class a monster. I cant imagine how this upgrade will feel on the R230.
Shardul you are correct, stock billets are more then enough for 99% of people out there. These cars with our billet turbo's are monsters. And yes our cars with the gt30 are crazy power but to each his own.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:26 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
CL65
Thank you. Yes, I was eyeballing this, as I currently have all that off, waiting for coils. I would think some piping from down below grabbing some cool air would be a welcome addition...I just HATE K&N style filters. I really like a paper filter, as it actually filters. probably not much room to do this, or it would already be done. I may do a compressor upgrade, a trunk resevoir and some meth. I think that might get me to mid 600rwhp...

(As an aside, I believe I have Marcus Frosts old car)
Whooa! 800rwhp is just nasty. My 65 made 660rwhp with speedriven tune, intake, intercoolers, trunk res and exhaust. I can only imagine how a better intake, no cats, meth and bigger turbos would have made this car.....
Old 10-07-2014, 02:57 PM

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
06 SL65AMG, 13 Tesla Model S 60kwh, 02 Jaguar S-Type 3.0, 12 S550 4 Matic, 07 E320 Bluetec, 06 LX470
So I know this thread is old but what ever happened to this kit? It's been almost a year since last post so I was wondering if there was any progress
Old 10-09-2014, 02:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
SL 63 W/B AMG , S600,C220
How does the traction control cope, or do you swich it off
Old 10-11-2014, 05:04 PM

06 SL65AMG, 13 Tesla Model S 60kwh, 02 Jaguar S-Type 3.0, 12 S550 4 Matic, 07 E320 Bluetec, 06 LX470
It's just I've seen this kit offered for so many years now but never seen it break 800 rwhp unless theres a dyno sheet i missed somewhere. I'm not trying to knock the product cause if they managed to get the kit going 1000 hp they mentioned I'd jump on this kit in a heart beat, It's just I've owned my SL65 for 2 years now which is shorter than the period they offered this kit which I think its been 3-4 years now.

I was hoping some more progress has been made this thread is over a year old when they got close to 798 rwhp. At this point I just went with the billet turbos and port/polish heads. But I'm still hoping one day this kit hits 1000 rwhp so I can switch my turbos for this kit
Old 10-13-2014, 11:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SL600, 2016 ES300h, 2012 Hayabusa
I would also like to hear the result of all this work.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
I respect Marcin a ton, & think all the mods I've bought from him work better than advertised etc.. But I'm pretty much giving up on waiting for these turbo upgades. I tried to order a set over a year ago per my Siggy. Marcin told me the wait may be lengthy as he explained the hold up on these kits is due to Tial, he's using GT30 cores/wheels & trying to get modified Tial housings that will further illiminate any turbo lag (hope I got that info right? It's been a min )
Old 10-14-2014, 06:51 AM

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
SL65 R230
Originally Posted by Thericker
I respect Marcin a ton, & think all the mods I've bought from him work better than advertised etc.. But I'm pretty much giving up on waiting for these turbo upgades. I tried to order a set over a year ago per my Siggy. Marcin told me the wait may be lengthy as he explained the hold up on these kits is due to Tial, he's using GT30 cores/wheels & trying to get modified Tial housings that will further illiminate any turbo lag (hope I got that info right? It's been a min )
Excuse me, but when this little modified housing is the whole problem that we don't see further progress in the "big Kits" for years, I think all other guys from different platforms would have a good laugh about this...

It took me quite a long time to have the extra money for a big Kit now, but if it is worth to put it in my car, thats on another page...
Also there is a not to little risk that your tranny, clutches will not take the massive torque in the longrun, even if you have reinforced parts.

I think these cars with the OEM-ECU are maxed out at 7xx or low 8xx RWHP on Pump-Fuel.

Any new Real-World Dyno-Graphs (up to redline ) are welcome!

Last edited by AMG-Driver; 10-14-2014 at 06:55 AM.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

What is the top side of expectation for handling power on a stock 600 and modded 600 trans?
Old 10-14-2014, 03:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by AMG-Driver
Excuse me, but when this little modified housing is the whole problem that we don't see further progress in the "big Kits" for years, I think all other guys from different platforms would have a good laugh about this...

It took me quite a long time to have the extra money for a big Kit now, but if it is worth to put it in my car, thats on another page...
Also there is a not to little risk that your tranny, clutches will not take the massive torque in the longrun, even if you have reinforced parts.

I think these cars with the OEM-ECU are maxed out at 7xx or low 8xx RWHP on Pump-Fuel.

No offense taken.. I just wanted the damn big turbo kit & was willing to wait to get it, but after a year elapsed this June, I realized it was never going to come to fruition. I had Marcin, apply my deposit for big turbos on another set of big IC's & all supporting bits (my 1st set was 2nd hand and aquired a coolant/boost leak)

I asked multiple times if we could just use the entire Garrett GT30 internals & housings? Told em I didn't mind a little turbo lag he was fixing w/Tial modified housings... All I heard was no I wont do it that way. I even asked why not modify the Tial housings yourself? Again.. "Can't" need Tial to do it etc on & on it went.. Every time I asked if Tial was starting to do his special housings? I was told nope, they're too busy w/other bigger jobs this went on for MOST of last year, then he said he recieved an email from Tial stating they were ready to start milling his requested housings. That was 4-5 months ago & now you know the entire story.. 1.5 yrs ago I put a deposit down.. Then after 1 yr I needed NEW IC's & paid for them w/deposit $ etc etc etc..

I told em at the 1 yr point I still wanted a gt30 kit when available, BUT now I'm tot over the wait & the entire car (@ cert point in modifing if you can't reach your goals you want/need to move onto something newer/better) Though I hope Marcin finally finishes these big turbo kits it would be the ultimate to see 1-2-3 of these monsters on the Strip/street w/TRUE 1000 WHP or possibly even higher.. If that ever happens I would def consider another v12tt in 3 or so yrs etc..

I ran a true 600 whp before STOCK trans started to slip, w/upgraded clutch packs rebuilt tranns, they can handle 1000+ whp etc also add CarbonFiber or chrm olly drv shft.. Southern Hotrod/Speedriven/Renntech all offer these upgraded tranns..

Last edited by Thericker; 10-14-2014 at 03:26 PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo

No offense taken.. I just wanted the damn big turbo kit & was willing to wait to get it, but after a year elapsed this June, I realized it was never going to come to fruition. I had Marcin, apply my deposit for big turbos on another set of big IC's & all supporting bits (my 1st set was 2nd hand and aquired a coolant/boost leak)

I asked multiple times if we could just use the entire Garrett GT30 internals & housings? Told em I didn't mind a little turbo lag he was fixing w/Tial modified housings... All I heard was no I wont do it that way. I even asked why not modify the Tial housings yourself? Again.. Can't need Tial to do it etc on & on it went.. Every time I asked if Tial was starting to do his special housings? I was told nope, they're too busy w/other bigger jobs this went on for MOST of last year, then he said he recieved an email from Tial stating they were ready to start milling his requested housings. That was 4-5 months ago & you now know the entire story.. 1.5 yrs ago I put a deposit down.. Then after 1 yr I needed NEW IC's & paid for them w/deposit $ etc etc etc..

I told em at the 1 yr point I still wanted a gt30 kit when available, now I'm tot over the wait & the entire car (@ cert point in modifying if you can't reach your goals you want/need to move onto something newer/better)
Old 10-14-2014, 10:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
SLK55 AMG - Renntech Supercharged
I'd contact Eurocharged and ask them for the equivelant. They were itching to build me a set when I mentioned I'd bought the 65 a few months back.

I had to wait forever to get my downpipes from Speedriven (Marcin), and when they arrived it was only due to me filing a Paypal dispute due to Speedriven being unresponsive and weeks late on the promised ship date.

When they did arrive they were incomplete, missing the extra wideband bung they promised. Weeks ago Marcin wrote me that he'd be mailing it out the next day, but its yet to arrive.

Last edited by Grip Grip; 10-15-2014 at 07:43 AM.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:17 AM

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
SL65 R230
@Thericker

Thanks for bringing a little more light into this story...

I agree, you have to be a very enthusiastic V12 TT Fan to put so much money into these "older" cars. Maybe it is still worth it, I have to really make up my mind about this... or switch to the newer V8TT cars? Or in the end you are satisfied with a good V12 ECU-Tune without any problems...

@Nemesis / all

When I remember my Tuner correctly 600/65 transmission and clutch packs are not the same. 65 tranny is capable of more torque. My old SL600 with ECU-Tune had 1060 NM / 781 ft lb torque (all numbers at the crank!) = No Problems. My SL65 with ECU-Tune has 1165-1200 NM = approx. 885 ft-lb crank = No Problems.

Mo's Brabus Bullit V12 TT 6.3. which was further tuned from GAD-Motors from Germany has over 1400NM / 1032 ft lb at the crank, but his transmission needed to be reinforced 2 times. From my knowledge his car now runs fine without problems. And he uses it also on the 1/4 mile from time to time.

We all have to keep in mind that this are all hobby cars with very low mileage but they seem to handle the power quite well. But at these Power and torque levels there can always break something...
Old 10-16-2014, 01:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by Grip Grip
I'd contact Eurocharged and ask them for the equivelant. They were itching to build me a set when I mentioned I'd bought the 65 a few months back.

I had to wait forever to get my downpipes from Speedriven (Marcin), and when they arrived it was only due to me filing a Paypal dispute due to Speedriven being unresponsive and weeks late on the promised ship date.

When they did arrive they were incomplete, missing the extra wideband bung they promised. Weeks ago Marcin wrote me that he'd be mailing it out the next day, but its yet to arrive.
EC doesn't make a big turbo kit.. They only offer modified stk 65 turbs that have slightly larger comp wheels.. If you study their graphs & seperate mod for mod, and know what ALL the other vendors doing these simple swaps make in whp you'd find EC & all others aren't worth the cost of install.. You'll truthfully gain 50- whp on the 65's & a bit more on the 600's as they already start w/less potential on their oem turbs..

Add removal/install fees = 12-15 hr job = about $3500 for install alone, then add $1500 per side for billet whls lol and you're at $6500-$7000 depending on shop used for @ most 50 whp and that new hp is nearly ALL in last 2000 rpms lol no thnx..
Old 10-16-2014, 01:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
@Thericker

Thanks for bringing a little more light into this story...

I agree, you have to be a very enthusiastic V12 TT Fan to put so much money into these "older" cars. Maybe it is still worth it, I have to really make up my mind about this... or switch to the newer V8TT cars? Or in the end you are satisfied with a good V12 ECU-Tune without any problems...

@Nemesis / all

When I remember my Tuner correctly 600/65 transmission and clutch packs are not the same. 65 tranny is capable of more torque. My old SL600 with ECU-Tune had 1060 NM / 781 ft lb torque (all numbers at the crank!) = No Problems. My SL65 with ECU-Tune has 1165-1200 NM = approx. 885 ft-lb crank = No Problems.

Mo's Brabus Bullit V12 TT 6.3. which was further tuned from GAD-Motors from Germany has over 1400NM / 1032 ft lb at the crank, but his transmission needed to be reinforced 2 times. From my knowledge his car now runs fine without problems. And he uses it also on the 1/4 mile from time to time.

We all have to keep in mind that this are all hobby cars with very low mileage but they seem to handle the power quite well. But at these Power and torque levels there can always break something...
Glad to help man
Old 10-16-2014, 01:52 AM

AMG
TheRicker. While I can't speak for them I did stop by their shop on two separate occasions over the last several months. I acquired a 65 not too long ago and I live just over an hours drive from the shop. And I assure you there is no shortage of turbo benzes at their facility. And while being there going over a potential build list they spoke freely about some cars there while others were basically off limits to prying eyes. For one thing not everyone goes on forums and gloats about their car. I personally have been into having my cars built for longer than some members on here have been alive. Yet this is the second forum I have ever roamed and joined. And secondly not every customer wants their build to become public too.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Maybe I'm crazy, but a billet wheel has to make more than 50 hp over 10 year old turbo tech, and I would also think that power comes on earlier than a standard wheel due to increased efficiency. I guess this could also be one of those things that has power heavily compounded by supporting mods, intake, exhaust, intercoolers
Old 10-16-2014, 01:22 PM

You get more if you have a 600, but a 65 its about 50 rwhp.

Someone a few years back tried putting a GT30 cartage into our housing, but after 2 years of trying he scrapped it saying it wasn't worth it since tuning was the issue.

I read on that S65 Speedriven did a few months ago with ecu/tcu billet turbos, downpipes, those quad intakes, and a transmission build and he got 679 rwhp but that wasn't the best pull since it was heat soaked and there was no trunk tank just top mount intercoolers.

Based off my mods and racehorse (everything but billet turbos and top mount intercoolers) since we pretty much have everything the same except I have an LSD its 635-645 rwhp on pump gas on our 65s. I tried to see if there was any way to do something like a throttle body mod, but the problem is unlike the 55 guys, our throttle body goes straight into the intake manifold.

I don't think it was worth it trying to bore the shaft of the TB to the Intake manifold and the TB Gasket cause I was worried maybe the gasket wont seal as well anymore. Only thing is possible that I could see that would't be as worrisome is grinding the inside of the TB where the Y pipe connects but all you would get is 2 mm gain.

After billet turbos, only other thing left that came to mind was port/polish cylinder heads and port matching the exhaust manifold since why not its out anyways. I figured any mod after that would become more complicated such as new headers/turbos or even trying to change the engine displacement like Brabus did to a 6.3 L

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Speedriven SL65 Big Turbo