SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Speedriven SL65 Big Turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
SL 63 W/B AMG , S600,C220
I have been hooked on modifying cars for as long as I can remember.
I tend to go for turbo cars as they can be upgraded easier than Nat *** cars.
However I have found going to a bigger turbo doesn't always bring greater
pleasure. After the last one I changed to a Garret T4 from a T3, this meant
a new ecu programme, bigger intercooler, upgraded radiator etc.
Now the car kept pulling past 6k, the downside was bad lag, bogging
down when you pulled away, a general lack of nimbleness. I later drove
a car with my old turbo on and I loved it. In the end I changed for a hybrid
turbo which gave you the extra without too many problems. My SL65 with
a re map goes like a train, but the extra power has highlighted problems
like gearbox change, adequate brakes etc, I know what it's like waiting for
an upgrade but is a big turbo the answer, the new V8 TT is a fantastic
car, and fast, however I would rather have my 230 SL65, like a good wine
it gets better with age.
Old 10-16-2014, 03:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Exclamation

Originally Posted by BmwBob335
TheRicker. While I can't speak for them I did stop by their shop on two separate occasions over the last several months. I acquired a 65 not too long ago and I live just over an hours drive from the shop. And I assure you there is no shortage of turbo benzes at their facility. And while being there going over a potential build list they spoke freely about some cars there while others were basically off limits to prying eyes. For one thing not everyone goes on forums and gloats about their car. I personally have been into having my cars built for longer than some members on here have been alive. Yet this is the second forum I have ever roamed and joined. And secondly not every customer wants their build to become public too.
I never said Marcin/Speedriven didn't complete more big turbo kits (the 1st was Soulsearchers sl600, it was modified to 750 whp on low reading Mustang dyno, it ran a documented 197.7 mph in Texas mile NO joke) The latest GT30's were said to make superior rwp thru entire rev band vs soulsearchers much older setup.. According to Garrett's website up to 750hp (bhp) PER turbo/side so these should easily fetch 1000 whp..

They don't make a 1000 whp... You've seen the dynos from Spdrvn they max'd at 800.. (when talking to Marcin, he noted he had to detune them though as the rwtq was nearly 1000 & quite a handful to drive for average buyer etc) Though I was more than happy to get that, Marcin said they could be pushed higher w/more boost & or on 109 etc to 850+ whp I said YES I'll buy!! Well read my post above I waited 1.5 yrs after my Deposit was put up & Tial never made the housings..

Sux I'd of kept the SL forever if I could've even reached that level.. I hope he gets this housing issue sorted I'd eat my words & keep SL forever..

Last edited by Thericker; 10-16-2014 at 04:50 PM.
Old 10-16-2014, 04:01 PM

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
06 SL65AMG, 13 Tesla Model S 60kwh, 02 Jaguar S-Type 3.0, 12 S550 4 Matic, 07 E320 Bluetec, 06 LX470
You have more patience than I do Sean, I'm been waiting 4 month (April-August) when my despoit was placed at my tuner to get the car time in the shop and another 3 (August-Oct) from taking the parts off, modding them and putting them back together.

If I had to wait 18 months like you did I think I would go crazy, 4 months of having my tuner hold my despot and 3 months w/o driving my car is already bad enough for me

I'm just glad everything in my car is in the process of being put back together, As long as I finish before Nov. 6th ill be done within that 3 month period
Old 10-16-2014, 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by V12TTenthusiast
You get more if you have a 600, but a 65 its about 50 rwhp.

Someone a few years back tried putting a GT30 cartage into our housing, but after 2 years of trying he scrapped it saying it wasn't worth it since tuning was the issue.

I read on that S65 Speedriven did a few months ago with ecu/tcu billet turbos, downpipes, those quad intakes, and a transmission build and he got 679 rwhp but that wasn't the best pull since it was heat soaked and there was no trunk tank just top mount intercoolers.

Based off my mods and racehorse (everything but billet turbos and top mount intercoolers) since we pretty much have everything the same except I have an LSD its 635-645 rwhp on pump gas on our 65s. I tried to see if there was any way to do something like a throttle body mod, but the problem is unlike the 55 guys, our throttle body goes straight into the intake manifold.

I don't think it was worth it trying to bore the shaft of the TB to the Intake manifold and the TB Gasket cause I was worried maybe the gasket wont seal as well anymore. Only thing is possible that I could see that would't be as worrisome is grinding the inside of the TB where the Y pipe connects but all you would get is 2 mm gain.

After billet turbos, only other thing left that came to mind was port/polish cylinder heads and port matching the exhaust manifold since why not its out anyways. I figured any mod after that would become more complicated such as new headers/turbos or even trying to change the engine displacement like Brabus did to a 6.3 L
Ding ding ding.. Absolutely on point From a 65 owner who knows 1'st hand... Yes on 600 v12 you'd see 70 whp.. (Hartmut of Renntech was 1st to swap 65 turbs onto his then sl600, it netted a measily 20 whp) I bought/have a set of mint 65 turbs I was going to mod w/billets sitting in my garage, until I saw Speedrivens add for big turbs.. (I'll sell my 65 turbs near mint w/only few 1000 miles on them for what I paid $900 + shipping)

My point is EC's dynos showed gains MOSTLY in last 2000 rpm's and 50 PEAK whp isn't worth $7k in my book period.. Though Speedrivens versions showed same 50 whp gains they held that 50 whp thru most of rpm band.. Any 600 w/billet wheels is going to see 70 whp that tiny bump in 20 whp added to Speedrivens version making said gains thru most of rpm band would make a viable mod for the money that's worth a lot more than 50 PEAK whp.. Etc..

Though I'm GREEDY I want 850-900 @ the very least so come on Marcin show me the GT30's in the next few months or I'll sadly move onto the new v8 biturbo & start my FrakenModMadness all over again.. Either way my right foot will be
Old 10-17-2014, 07:09 AM

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
SL65 R230
Originally Posted by Thericker
I never said Marcin/Speedriven didn't complete more big turbo kits (the 1st was Soulsearchers sl600, it was modified to 750 whp on low reading Mustang dyno, it ran a documented 197.7 mph in Texas mile NO joke) The latest GT30's were said to make superior rwp thru entire rev band vs soulsearchers much older setup.. According to Garrett's website up to 750hp (bhp) PER turbo/side so these should easily fetch 1000 whp..

They don't make a 1000 whp... You've seen the dynos from Spdrvn they max'd at 800.. (when talking to Marcin, he noted he had to detune them though as the rwtq was nearly 1000 & quite a handful to drive for average buyer etc) Though I was more than happy to get that, Marcin said they could be pushed higher w/more boost & or on 109 etc to 850+ whp I said YES I'll buy!! Well read my post above I waited 1.5 yrs after my Deposit was put up & Tial never made the housings..

Sux I'd of kept the SL forever if I could've even reached that level.. I hope he gets this housing issue sorted I'd eat my words & keep SL forever..
We talked about this 197,7 MPH run from soulsearcher some time ago. There was a strong wind from behind. All cars went 10 MPH faster this day!

I did some very accurate calculations about the power level on another forum. For 191 MPH (which soulsearcher ran under normal conditions) in the mile you need approx. 700 whp in the R230 chassis.

800 WHP is approx. max.HP with 22 PSI and with a mix of pump/race fuel from what I have seen so far.

And I'm pretty sure I know the reason, why we are not seeing dynos with more PSI...
But this is the tuners part to work it out.

Last edited by AMG-Driver; 10-17-2014 at 07:12 AM.