SL63 AMG & SL65 AMG (R231) 2012 to 2020 (in US launched as 2013 model) Facelift from 2017

Joined the SL Club

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 05:07 PM

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts
AMG GT C Roadster
Joined the SL Club

Ever since I let my CLK Black Series go about a year and a half ago, I've been jonesing for a 2-seater back in the stable.

Got this CPO car shipped from California all the way to Georgia.

Specs:
2013 SL63
designo Magno Cashmere White
P01 Premium
P30 Performance Package
designo Classic Red Leather
AMG Performance Media
Driver Assistance Package
Magic Sky Control
Forged Wheels
Exterior Carbon Fiber Package
Soft Close Doors

Sorry for the bad dealer and cellphone pics, but I've only had the car since yesterday afternoon.
Attached Thumbnails Joined the SL Club-07.jpg   Joined the SL Club-05-wiped.jpg   Joined the SL Club-17.jpg   Joined the SL Club-sl63_unloading_sized.jpg  
Old 08-06-2015, 05:51 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts
Speedriven
Nice! Love the cocaine-over-cherries look!!
Old 08-10-2015, 12:05 PM

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
2006 C55
Dayumm, nice
Old 08-13-2015, 10:46 AM

AMG GT C Roadster
Originally Posted by Speedriven1
Nice! Love the cocaine-over-cherries look!!
LOL - yeah the matte white is pretty amazing looking, and the classic red is a perfect match for it. My commute to work is all back roads (unfortunately with heavy traffic) so I can't wait for an opportunity (hopefully this weekend) to mash the pedal and open it up. 664ft/lbs!
Old 08-17-2015, 07:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 E63s & 2016 S550
If this car was purchased at Mercedes of San Diego I saw it there...Nice
Old 08-20-2015, 09:24 PM

AMG GT C Roadster
Originally Posted by tscarr
If this car was purchased at Mercedes of San Diego I saw it there...Nice
Thanks. Yes, I bought it there sight unseen. I've bought cars out of state before, but I've always seen them in person before buying, so this was a huge trust factor. If the car was not CPO, I definitely would not have done it.
Old 08-20-2015, 09:27 PM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
2001 Porsche 911 Turbo (heavily modified)
Congratulations! Beautiful car!
Old 12-16-2015, 08:23 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2001 viper rt-10, 2007 SL65
Originally Posted by mellowyellow
Ever since I let my CLK Black Series go about a year and a half ago, I've been jonesing for a 2-seater back in the stable.

Got this CPO car shipped from California all the way to Georgia.

Specs:
2013 SL63
designo Magno Cashmere White
P01 Premium
P30 Performance Package
designo Classic Red Leather
AMG Performance Media
Driver Assistance Package
Magic Sky Control
Forged Wheels
Exterior Carbon Fiber Package
Soft Close Doors

Sorry for the bad dealer and cellphone pics, but I've only had the car since yesterday afternoon.
I actually test drove your car. Nice ride! I just couldn't get past the color combo. I'm a black on black guy, but i know lot's of people love your combo. Mind telling us what your final $Deal was?
Old 12-17-2015, 03:14 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Mercedes S550
Very pretty ride! Enjoy it in good health!
Old 01-10-2016, 02:58 PM

AMG GT C Roadster
Originally Posted by tandan
I actually test drove your car. Nice ride! I just couldn't get past the color combo. I'm a black on black guy, but i know lot's of people love your combo. Mind telling us what your final $Deal was?
Cool, yeah I was specifically looking for this white/red combo and really no others, so to each his own.

As far as the deal - it was over 5 months ago, and they originally had it listed over $107K. By the time I found it, the car was at a decent amount below $100K, and I ended up getting it for a nice amount less than their reduced price (came away happy). Obviously at that time they were willing to deal to move it.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 SL63 AMG
I would love to have that exact car in Silver
Old 03-02-2016, 02:18 PM

Cool, yeah I was specifically looking for this white/red combo and really no others, so to each his own.

As far as the deal - it was over 5 months ago, and they originally had it listed over $107K. By the time I found it, the car was at a decent amount below $100K, and I ended up getting it for a nice amount less than their reduced price (came away happy). Obviously at that time they were willing to deal to move it.
Mellow Yellow, now that you've had your car a few months, do you mind telling us how the upkeep on your cashmere white color is. I've heard both ways. Some say it requires extra care and others say it is easier to take care of. What say you? (for the matte finish as opposed to glossy)
Old 03-03-2016, 01:26 PM

AMG GT C Roadster
Originally Posted by tandan
Mellow Yellow, now that you've had your car a few months, do you mind telling us how the upkeep on your cashmere white color is. I've heard both ways. Some say it requires extra care and others say it is easier to take care of. What say you? (for the matte finish as opposed to glossy)
You are right, is does require different care. You can wash it with normal car soap, but they tend to have glossing agents to bring out shine. You obviously don't want that on a matte finish. I use Chemical Guys Matte wash instead.

My thought is that imperfections are less visible given the matte finish, so in that respect it is easier to take care of.

My biggest fear is that the plastic/carbon pieces which are painted will wear differently than the metal painted pieces. Before I bought my E63, I was test driving a preowned CL63 and it was Magno Cashmere White also. The color difference in the bumpers vs the rest of the car was really noticeable there. Could have been a care issue with the prior owner.

This summer I may do a full detail with a matte sealant.
Old 03-07-2016, 05:59 PM

You are right, is does require different care. You can wash it with normal car soap, but they tend to have glossing agents to bring out shine. You obviously don't want that on a matte finish. I use Chemical Guys Matte wash instead.

My thought is that imperfections are less visible given the matte finish, so in that respect it is easier to take care of.

My biggest fear is that the plastic/carbon pieces which are painted will wear differently than the metal painted pieces. Before I bought my E63, I was test driving a preowned CL63 and it was Magno Cashmere White also. The color difference in the bumpers vs the rest of the car was really noticeable there. Could have been a care issue with the prior owner.

This summer I may do a full detail with a matte sealant.
Thanks! Yours was a better and more detailed response than I could have hoped for.
Old 03-29-2016, 01:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'97 RENNtech E60RS
Mellow, I would appreciate learning which Internet sites you used when searching for your SL63, presuming that's how you found your car that was on the other coast from you. I have had my '04 SL600 with RENNtech mods for 10 years now and am thinking about selling and moving newer to a 2012-2013 SL63. BTW, I saw an '09 SL63 in your Designo Magno Cashmere. Stunning! Congrats on that purchase.
Old 03-29-2016, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 165 Posts
Porsche guy who drives SL63 w/ perf pkg AND perf suspension
look on MBUSA certified pre owned inventory, autotrader cars,com ebay
Old 03-30-2016, 12:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
'15 T&C & '14 SL63
I usually find interesting cars on dealer lots using autotrader.com.

Then I won't call, or inquire, I'll just drive by on a Saturday as an excuse to get out and enjoy the day and maybe drink all their free coffee and snacks. And just happen to check out the car, and whatever else they have around.

Um, but the plan backfired last year, when I couldn't let this one get away. I think they drugged the coffee and donuts with dopamine. Yeah, that's my story. lol
Old 04-01-2016, 04:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 165 Posts
Porsche guy who drives SL63 w/ perf pkg AND perf suspension
its very risky to buy one of these cars w/0ut a cpo , it could cost thousands in repairs. They are very complicated and very expensive to repair. What 2 or 3 K $ you save off the price will be nothing when you go in w/Out a warrantee for a repair. No aftermkt warrantee will cover what MB cpo covers.
Next, I got a shadow gray matte car recently , I did alot of research on matte paint. The same guys that make the sealants say; dont put it on a car if you can avoid it. I am guessing they have had issues with whitening and discoloration after you use their products. I found that just washing with meguires chrystal car wash and drying with microfiber towel makes it perfect. I bought some of the "cleaner liquid" and tried it but I get the same result with carwash or gimple green If you have some stain, just soak with wash or simple green, or fantastic, and it will remove it. The key is not to put any substance on the paint that has any silicone or fillers in it.
Old 04-01-2016, 07:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 696 Likes on 530 Posts
R Nine T
Originally Posted by okbarnett
its very risky to buy one of these cars w/0ut a cpo , it could cost thousands in repairs. They are very complicated and very expensive to repair. What 2 or 3 K $ you save off the price will be nothing when you go in w/Out a warrantee for a repair. No aftermkt warrantee will cover what MB cpo covers.
Next, I got a shadow gray matte car recently , I did alot of research on matte paint. The same guys that make the sealants say; dont put it on a car if you can avoid it. I am guessing they have had issues with whitening and discoloration after you use their products. I found that just washing with meguires chrystal car wash and drying with microfiber towel makes it perfect. I bought some of the "cleaner liquid" and tried it but I get the same result with carwash or gimple green If you have some stain, just soak with wash or simple green, or fantastic, and it will remove it. The key is not to put any substance on the paint that has any silicone or fillers in it.
Ok man. But ah. One thing.

Mercedes CPO doesn't cover their entire ABC system. Those silly hydraulic pumps and shocks you know???
Old 05-21-2016, 03:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
SL 65 AMG, Porsche 911 (993), 2014 Cayenne GTS, 2013 Toyota Highlander Limited
Easy Care Aftermarket warranty covered all ABC at the level I signed up for - Platinum...paid $ 3k for the warranty in 2009 and spent over $ 12k in warranty claims in the next 3 years.......no issues on any claims from brake calipers to ABC hoses, intercoolers, and pumps,etc.........I would not own one of these AMG cars without a warranty......this is why these cars depreciate so fast.....if they were reliable and less costly to fix due to so many frequent repairs, they would hold their value better.....simple.....but they do drive like a dream when they do run.....