Go Back   MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz SLR & SL Roadsters > SLK-Class (R170)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

Welcome to MBWorld.org!
Welcome to MBWorld,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-27-2007, 10:11 PM   #1

Ambient Temp Sensor location???

Hey all, I have a 1999 SLK230. My digital readout has been showing the external temperature as -36 deg F. While getting some work done at the dealer, they mentioned that the external sensor was missing and that I needed a new one to correct the problem. The part was only $20, but they wanted $100 to "install" it. The price seemed fair so I ordered a new one, however, I know that that is a rip-off for labor. I'm fairly mechanical (changed my own brake pads and rotors, change my oil, wired my own car stereo stuff, etc), however I cannot, for the life of me, locate where the heck this little sensor is suppose to go. I have found similar postings pertaining to other Mercedes models, which list the location as in the front fender near the fog lamp on the passenger side. I have look pretty extensively in this area of the car (inside the fender and underneath it outside) and I still cannot locate it....

The real question, does anyone else have any ideas where this sensor is located??

Any help would be seriously appreciated!
To remove this ad, register today or login if you already are registered!

bfitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 07:56 AM   #2

As stated just above the removeable centre trim panel on left side in spoiler opening

Bazzle
bazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 12:10 PM   #3

Do you mean that it is above the portion of the lower grill that pops out under where the license plate housing sits? Is it on the passenger side or driver side? Sorry, the "spoiler opening" phrase has me confused, but I think I know where you are talking about. Am I correct?

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-30-2007, 03:29 AM   #4

Try this (click on thumbnail)

Bazzle
Attached Thumbnails
Ambient Temp Sensor location???-ambient-temp-sensor.jpg  
Old 08-30-2007, 10:03 AM   #5

Thats awesome man, I finally found it last night on my own, I was looking on the passenger side the whole time b/c I guess that's where it is on the C class.... finally put the ******* on jack stands, removed the bottom cover, and just looked around with a flashlight and found that there was a wire dangling in the breeze on the DRIVERS side! I guess that's what I get for making too many assumptions... Thanks a ton for the help though!!!
Old 08-31-2007, 09:30 AM   #6

Glad you found it..

Actually mine IS on the passenger side..

What country are you iN??

Bazzle
Old 02-19-2013, 09:23 AM   #7

Drives: SLK 200 (2001) & SLK 350 (2006)
Thank you for this. I had the front end of my R170 re-sprayed some months ago to remove stone chips (I have done 250 000 km most on open road). After that work the temperature was unreliable. No one seemed to know and having received some advice about the diff on my R171 (also over 250 000 km) I looked at the thread. Instant sucess. The probe was lying loose in the cavity, having not been put back by the assembly mechanic. Thanks again.
Just42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:23 AM

Tags
1998, 230, 320, ambient, breeze, install, location, mercedes, pics, r170, sending, sensor, slk, temp, temperature, unit