Sponsored by:

New Stingray vs E55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 07:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
New Stingray vs E55

Drove my E55 about 600 miles to a wedding and my nephew showed up in a new rental Stingray. Awesome car and I liked it a bunch. He said it was showing 29.5 mpg on the interstate at 80 mph, which is consistent with everything that I've heard about vettes. I took it for a drive and was pretty impressed although it seriously lacked in refinement compared to my 10 year old E55. I liked the HUD, steering, handling, and acceleration, but the paddle shifters were next to useless and the exhaust noise level quickly became annoying. No way would I trade cars, but I was still impressed. What I noticed was that everyone who drove it said that it was the fastest car that they had ever been in. Now I don't rightly give a ****, and I certainly recognize that the E55 is not the fastest or quickest car in the world, but I wonder how much the exhaust noise contributes to the impression of speed. From what I have read the two cars are pretty comparable in acceleration or am I wrong. I missed an opportunity to put them on the road together, but my gut feeling was that the E55 would give it a serious run for the money. Any thoughts?
Old 01-26-2015, 08:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
This is only from my experience, noise is a large factor lol

One quick example - A mate dumped half his exhaust on his vehicle (non E55) as he was going to weld up a new one, was noisy as F**k, car lost a whole heap of power and torque, took some people for a quick ride, even though we were going slow, the high RPMs and noise made it feel like we were hauling, the passengers got out and were all going on about how insane it went now with the exhaust like that
Old 01-26-2015, 10:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55
I clicked in hopes to see a side by side race, woulda been interesting.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts
2004 E55.98 SS Camaro.Jetta TDI. Expedition
Would be a great race. The Vette has gained 400lbs in the last decade. Magazine racing they are even. The Vette would be faster to 60 but it would be interesting after that. Great looking car..
Old 01-27-2015, 02:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 E63S wagon
Light to light, it would be about who got better traction. You have a C7 covered in torque, he has you by weight. At speed I would bet the C7 may pull if for no other reason than much much better aerodynamics at 70-120ish.
Old 01-27-2015, 04:24 PM

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Luxury4play
I clicked in hopes to see a side by side race, woulda been interesting.
Noted...sorry......my bad.

There's a lot going on when you compare the two vehicles; 5spd vs 8spd, weight, torque, hp, aero, tires, axle ratio but the road tests and videos indicate they are real close in the quarter. Basically the difference in driver and traction. Weight is kind of a funny thing where some times a bit of weight in the *** helps acceleration, i.e., the Hellcat Charger vs the Hellcat Challenger. The Charger has a better 0-60 despite being heavier.

At any rate I'll be kicking myself in the *** for the rest of my life for not taking advantage of a rare opportunity to put two awesome cars head to head. And to any vette guys reading this; don't take any of this the wrong way. I don't think the E55 would be any match for the Vette on anything but a straight road (although the E is surprisingly competent once you figure out how to drive it), they are two completely different cars that happen to share similar quarter mile times.

I was really just wondering about the noise factor
Old 01-29-2015, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by com_amg
Light to light, it would be about who got better traction. You have a C7 covered in torque, he has you by weight. At speed I would bet the C7 may pull if for no other reason than much much better aerodynamics at 70-120ish.
not so fast there

http://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam...ure_110513.pdf

2014 Corvette Stingray: Cd .29

The E55 AMG has a Cd of 0.28, with its extra body add-ons. the base W211 has a .27 Cd

Last edited by Toadster; 01-29-2015 at 12:52 PM.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55 AMG, 2005 E55 AMG (Sold)
Originally Posted by menace2sobriety
This is only from my experience, noise is a large factor lol

One quick example - A mate dumped half his exhaust on his vehicle (non E55) as he was going to weld up a new one, was noisy as F**k, car lost a whole heap of power and torque, took some people for a quick ride, even though we were going slow, the high RPMs and noise made it feel like we were hauling, the passengers got out and were all going on about how insane it went now with the exhaust like that
lol thats funny ..my car loses tons of power when I open up my cut-outs, and its immediately noticeable, esp the low-end torque loss. but everyone loves the way it sounds lol
Old 01-30-2015, 09:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 218 Likes on 179 Posts
E63
Originally Posted by 5spd97
Drove my E55 about 600 miles to a wedding and my nephew showed up in a new rental Stingray. Awesome car and I liked it a bunch. He said it was showing 29.5 mpg on the interstate at 80 mph, which is consistent with everything that I've heard about vettes. I took it for a drive and was pretty impressed although it seriously lacked in refinement compared to my 10 year old E55. I liked the HUD, steering, handling, and acceleration, but the paddle shifters were next to useless and the exhaust noise level quickly became annoying. No way would I trade cars, but I was still impressed. What I noticed was that everyone who drove it said that it was the fastest car that they had ever been in. Now I don't rightly give a ****, and I certainly recognize that the E55 is not the fastest or quickest car in the world, but I wonder how much the exhaust noise contributes to the impression of speed. From what I have read the two cars are pretty comparable in acceleration or am I wrong. I missed an opportunity to put them on the road together, but my gut feeling was that the E55 would give it a serious run for the money. Any thoughts?
That is like saying the F355 and F430 lacked the refinement of your E55.
Messed around in the Stingray, way more refined engagement than my E55, however doesn't feel like a 4 door saloon car (you are buried in it and visibility sucks compared to say.....a E-Klasse saloon car)