Cold Air Intake for e55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 10:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
05 E55
Cold Air Intake for e55

Hi guys,

I have been reading the forums for the last 2-3 weeks on the e55 CAI. Here is the summary of my findings and wanted to get your opinion on the accuracy of these findings.

Mainly, I concluded that one can build a fabtech/needswing like CAI by buying spectre inline filters and appropriate pipes. Cost would be significantly cheaper (less then 1/2 the cost).

Just upgrading the CAI pipes to larger ones with large filters without upgrading the TB to a larger one (82mm) does not give any gains and could be done just for the looks. If someone can confirm this, it would be awesome.

Upgrading the TB to 82mm can be done along with the new CAI for a lot cheaper then (again) Fabtech solutions. One can use 82mm TB from other MB cars, however, it may be challenging for someone to find a modified snout and the Y-Pipe. I have no idea, how one goes about getting the snout for 82mm TB.

Wrapping the intake pipes with heat resisting tapes does not decrease the intake temperature significant enough to make a performance difference.

After all these upgrades, in order to get the best out of your intake, you now need to address your headers so what goes in can go out easily. That requires one to upgrade the headers.

Let me know what your thoughts are on this issue and if the above makes sense.

Thanks
Old 05-22-2015, 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
'06 E55, '15 Jeep SRT8, '94 Mustang GT
Best results from a CAI? The s/c whine.